• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hypothetical way's we can buff the Doc

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I think it'll be decent, that way he'll have balanced stats, somewhere around the 1.430 area is good. People would probably be good with Dr.Mario after a small speed boost. I don't know, that could make him better than melee Doc
I'm already really good as Doc and so are many other people. That said, I'd be even better if he were faster. I miss so many punishes and grab attempts because I'm off by just a little. Also, the start-up on most of his moves (minus upB) is incredibly slow. I'm not sure your speed stat covers that, but I'd love to see his overall quickness buffed even by a tiny little bit.

Once again, I look at Yoshi. Look how quickly he can go from move to move. Basically no lag time. Also, he's quite a bit heavier than Doc.

Last edited:

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
I'm already really good as Doc and so are many other people. That said, I'd be even better if he were faster. I miss so many punishes and grab attempts because I'm off by just a little. Also, the start-up on most of his moves (minus upB) is incredibly slow. I'm not sure your speed stat covers that, but I'd love to see his overall quickness buffed even by a tiny little bit.

Once again, I look at Yoshi. Look how quickly he can go from move to move. Basically no lag time. Also, he's quite a bit heavier than Doc.
Yeah Docs supposed to be; balanced running speed isn't balanced at all, it does kill off some of your opportunities to punish alot of times. I really don't see why they couldn't buff his running speed to 1.431 or something decent like that, I mean Mario still has better combos than Dr.Mario so it wouldn't make him better than Mario but more like even. Speaking of Yoshi I beat the heck out of two yesterday and replayed one of the battles

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Yeah Docs supposed to be; balanced running speed isn't balanced at all, it does kill off some of your opportunitys to punish alot of times. I really don't see why they couldn't buff his running speed to 1.431 or something decent like that, I mean Mario still has better combos than Dr.Mario so it wouldn't make him better than Mario but more like even. Speaking of Yoshi I beat the heck out of two yesterday and replayed one of the battles
Yoshi is such a tough match for me, but it's oh so sweet when I do beat them. It's sad because when I do win, it's because I had to work 10 times harder and smarter than they did. Those players that use easy characters just have no idea.

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Yoshi is such a tough match for me, but it's oh so sweet when I do beat them. It's sad because when I do win, it's because I had to work 10 times harder and smarter than they did. Those players that use easy characters just have no idea.
If they're putting too much pressure on me that's when I start throwing the pills, it'll annoy them enough to make them slip up where you can punish them. He still needs that speed increase though

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I got a whole list.

BUFFS:
  • Jab 1: Base Dmg 2.8 < 3.5
  • Jab 2: Base Dmg 1.68 < 2.48
  • Fsmash (All Angles): Add Super Armor on frames 7-15
  • Usmash: Head Invincibility frames 9-12 < 6-12
  • Dsmash (1st Hit): Base Dmg 11.2 < 12.36
  • Dsmash (2nd Hit): Base Dmg 13.44 < 14.2
  • Bthrow: Base Knockback 70 < 85
  • Bthrow: Knockback Growth 60 < 75
  • Fair: Landing Lag Decreased 28 < 17
  • Megavitamins: Base Dmg 5.6 < 7.1
  • Super Sheet: Gains an added increase of momentum of 1.430 on frame 7 (This should help with Doc's approach options & recovery)
  • Super Jump Punch: Add Super Armor on frames 3-5
  • Dr. Tornado (Aerial): Increase vertical height on frame 40 (Also should help with recovery)
  • Dash Speed: Increase 1.312 < 1.430

Some of these might be a bit overkill, but you get what I mean.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Considering the Lucas update is in two days, we'll see if Sakurai's "balance" will affect or alter Doc.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I got a whole list.

BUFFS:
  • Super Sheet: Gains an added increase of momentum of 1.430 on frame 7 (This should help with Doc's approach options & recovery)
  • Dr. Tornado (Aerial): Increase vertical height on frame 40 (Also should help with recovery)

I agree with all of this. To really set Doc apart and make his weaknesses more fair, he needs Armor on at least a few of his attacks and increased knockback on just about everything. He needs to hit hard if he's going to be so slow and have no jump height. Also, why isn't he heavier than Mario??? He can't jump as high, he should at least weigh more. Increase his weight by a little bit (maybe Yoshi weight), and I'll be satisfied. I would be thrilled if they did something like the above, but I know they won't.

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
I got a whole list.

BUFFS:

You my friend are a smart person, this list needs to be sent to sakurai for real,

Oh wait, I think the pills should do 6.3, 7.1 might be a bit much

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
You my friend are a smart person, this list needs to be sent to sakurai for real,

Oh wait, I think the pills should do 6.3, 7.1 might be a bit much
I miss the pills doing 8 in Melee. Those were the days.

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
I miss the pills doing 8 in Melee. Those were the days.
Aaaaaaand the good news is we didn't get any kind of buff in the update whatsoever, wow really Sakurai? You're going to leave Dr.Mario worse than Mario? Guess I'm going to have to keep using this +9 Custom speed with Doc and I hate using customs.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Aaaaaaand the good news is we didn't get any kind of buff in the update whatsoever, wow really Sakurai? You're going to leave Dr.Mario worse than Mario? Guess I'm going to have to keep using this +9 Custom speed with Doc and I hate using customs.
Sakurai hates Doc because he could never defeat level 20 on High. So sad.

But seriously, Doc is the most under-appreciated character in Smash. He didn't get a reveal trailer. His cons far outweigh any pros. He doesn't get his own logo. He doesn't get his own victory music (even Dark Pit did!). He's the only character in Smash without his own stage. And the list goes on and on. I know he was a somewhat last second addition, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be changed post production. Shame on you, Sakurai!

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Sakurai hates Doc because he could never defeat level 20 on High. So sad.

But seriously, Doc is the most under-appreciated character in Smash. He didn't get a reveal trailer. His cons far outweigh any pros. He doesn't get his own logo. He doesn't get his own victory music (even Dark Pit did!). He's the only character in Smash without his own stage. And the list goes on and on. I know he was a somewhat last second addition, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be changed post production. Shame on you, Sakurai!
check this crap out bro,

http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_(SSB4)/1.0.8_changelog

Unless they fix his running speed people are going to continue to think Mario's better than Dr.Mario (which he is)

Dr.Mario: A little stronger than Mario with a bit more kill potential, he is 18% slower than Mario which is pretty terrible since Mario has like what? Average running speed? Dr.Mario also doesn't have as much combo potential, doesn't jump as high and overall has a bad recovery when compared to Mario. (Dr.Mario's recovery isn't freakin terrible like people describe it, it's just that Mario's is about.... 18% better)

Mario: Is much quicker than Dr.Mario but slightly weaker, Mario doesn't have as much kill potential as Dr.Mario but he has better combo potential. Mario can jump higher than Dr.Mario and has better recovery than him as well.

So yeah, that's pretty even! Good job Sakurai! *sarcasm*

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
The thing that will always bug me is why Mario and Dr. Mario weigh the same but Doc is slower and can't jump as high. Why is this and how does it make sense? I'd absolutely love to hear Sakurai's explanation.

Also, it's debatable about Doc having more kill potential. I think Mario's FSmash might be better, if for no other reason than the sweet spot being the front. Doc's sweet spot is his freakin' arm! That's so difficult to set up. Also, Mario's USmash is stronger and kills sooner and easier than Doc's. Combine all that with Mario's far quicker movements (meaning it's easier to land Smash attacks in general) and, of course, his meteor smash (and the underratted properties of F.L.U.D.D.). It's not as if Mario struggles to get a kill. In fact, I'd say Doc struggles since he's more about reads than pure power like the other true power character. Doc is in a class of his own, completely unbalanced. And yet, I've never considered switching him as my main. Why? It's makes it that much sweeter when I demolish the easy-to-play, high tiered characters.

Just compared all the stats of the two characters. Really boggles the mind.....
Doc: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Dr.%20Mario/
Mario: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mario

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
The thing that will always bug me is why Mario and Dr. Mario weigh the same but Doc is slower and can't jump as high. Why is this and how does it make sense? I'd absolutely love to hear Sakurai's explanation.

Also, it's debatable about Doc having more kill potential. I think Mario's FSmash might be better, if for no other reason than the sweet spot being the front. Doc's sweet spot is his freakin' arm! That's so difficult to set up. Also, Mario's USmash is stronger and kills sooner and easier than Doc's. Combine all that with Mario's far quicker movements (meaning it's easier to land Smash attacks in general) and, of course, his meteor smash (and the underratted properties of F.L.U.D.D.). It's not as if Mario struggles to get a kill. In fact, I'd say Doc struggles since he's more about reads than pure power like the other true power character. Doc is in a class of his own, completely unbalanced. And yet, I've never considered switching him as my main. Why? It's makes it that much sweeter when I demolish the easy-to-play, high tiered characters

Just compared all the stats of the two characters. Really boggles the mind.....
Doc: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Dr.%20Mario/
Mario: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mario
Holy ****! I didn't know it was even like that! Doc sucks hard compared to Mario! Somebody email this to Sakurai

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Oh? Does he now?
Yes, and he laughs because he did it on purpose. What other explanation could there be? It's hard to neglect a character as badly as Sakurai has done to Doc without it being intentional.

To be perfectly honest, I'm now wishing Doc had been left off the initial roster and was paid DLC. So far, Sakurai has done some really good stuff for the returning vets in DLC. I'd imagine if Doc had been DLC, he'd be similar, but with more detail and thought put into his overall game play. Just look at what they did for Roy. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Yes, and he laughs because he did it on purpose. What other explanation could there be? It's hard to neglect a character as badly as Sakurai has done to Doc without it being intentional.

To be perfectly honest, I'm now wishing Doc had been left off the initial roster and was paid DLC. So far, Sakurai has done some really good stuff for the returning vets in DLC. I'd imagine if Doc had been DLC, he'd be similar, but with more detail and thought put into his overall game play. Just look at what they did for Roy. Good stuff.
Well because he wasn't DLC he became the first cut character to return in the series, that's like the only good thing though, I'm never going to get over how much Mario ****s on Dr.Mario in smash 4 though, it's like Marth and Roy in melee

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I just really want him to have better mobility really. His mobility really limits him.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I just really want him to have better mobility really. His mobility really limits him.
If his lack of mobility resulted in ultra powerful attacks, I could live with it. There has to be give and take. Instead, Doc is all give! He gives up mobility, jump height, start-up speed and cool-down for what? Slightly more damage than Mario and a little more knockback? Ouch. To make matters worse, Mario still has a meteor Smash and his back throw kills quite easy compared to Doc. Sakurai did a horrible job "balancing" Doc. His few positives don't come close to warranting his negatives.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
If his lack of mobility resulted in ultra powerful attacks, I could live with it. There has to be give and take. Instead, Doc is all give! He gives up mobility, jump height, start-up speed and cool-down for what? Slightly more damage than Mario and a little more knockback? Ouch. To make matters worse, Mario still has a meteor Smash and his back throw kills quite easy compared to Doc. Sakurai did a horrible job "balancing" Doc. His few positives don't come close to warranting his negatives.
Significantly more knockback, better KO options, and better edge-guarding tools. I'd love Mario's Bair to kill earlier than it does now. And I wish Mario had something like Dr. Tornado.

Shorter jump height allows Doc to wall people out more easily and hit grounded opponents more easily.

Start-up speed on what? Doc's frame data is identical outside his aerials having two more frames of lag and his jab combo being slightly slower. The stats on his Up-B, Down-B and Down-Air are different, though the Up-B's still come out on Frame 3.

Mario's meteor smash isn't very good. Neither of their forward aerials are great to be honest.

There is some difference between their back throws KO percentages, but as I recall, the difference is negligible. Still not powerful for either of them.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Significantly more knockback, better KO options, and better edge-guarding tools. I'd love Mario's Bair to kill earlier than it does now. And I wish Mario had something like Dr. Tornado.

Shorter jump height allows Doc to wall people out more easily and hit grounded opponents more easily.

Start-up speed on what? Doc's frame data is identical outside his aerials having two more frames of lag and his jab combo being slightly slower. The stats on his Up-B, Down-B and Down-Air are different, though the Up-B's still come out on Frame 3.

Mario's meteor smash isn't very good. Neither of their forward aerials are great to be honest.

There is some difference between their back throws KO percentages, but as I recall, the difference is negligible. Still not powerful for either of them.
Significantly more KB? I don't think so. Better KO options? Debatable. Doc's sweet spot is on his arm, extremely hard to get right. If it's not on the sweet spot, it's tougher to KO. Spacing is much easier for Mario because of the sweet spot being on the fireball (also, his vastly quicker speed makes getting to a spot far more easy).

Mario can chain 3 Smash attacks in the time Doc can start and finish one and maybe begin the second (okay, I haven't tested that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm close). Seriously, Doc's Smash attacks start up slower than Mario's and have more ending lag. I play both, it's very noticeable to me when using one or the other.

Maybe it's placebo or I'm just crazy.
Here's the stats for both characters, doesn't seem to be as significant of differences as you say (or should be):
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mario/
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Dr. Mario/

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Notice that the start up for their Smash attacks are identical. And you can try them out side by side if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8sX0dPPpY

And where did you get the idea that Mario can Chain 3 Smash attacks in succession vs Doc chaining 2? How did you even compare this when their Up Smashes have different trajectories?

It's pretty apparent when you land attacks such as Forward smash (hard to land, I get it. But still), Back Air, Up-B, and the like that Doc has way more knockback.

The sweetspot on Doc's Up-B is larger than you'd think.

http://gfycat.com/ArcticReliableCrow

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Notice that the start up for their Smash attacks are identical. And you can try them out side by side if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8sX0dPPpY

And where did you get the idea that Mario can Chain 3 Smash attacks in succession vs Doc chaining 2? How did you even compare this when their Up Smashes have different trajectories?

It's pretty apparent when you land attacks such as Forward smash (hard to land, I get it. But still), Back Air, Up-B, and the like that Doc has way more knockback.

The sweetspot on Doc's Up-B is larger than you'd think.

http://gfycat.com/ArcticReliableCrow
As I said, I didn't test the Smash thing, I was just saying it feels that way. I'll test it later, though, and report back on it.

I never said anything about the Up-B sweet spot, but rather the sweet spot for Smash attacks. The sweet spot on Up-B is large, yes, but because there's really only the one hit box, it's a high risk/high reward type move. If you whiff, and it's easy to whiff, you're left very vulnerable. At least with Mario's, you can miss the first couple hits and still connect, potentially. It doesn't do the same kind of damage either, but still, there's less risk in the move.

Again, I play both characters. While I do notice the KB difference (because there is a difference), I strongly disagree that it's "way more" than Mario's (and the data backs that up). Again, it really should be a huge difference, but unfortunately it's not. I get as many kills with Mario's Bair as I do with Doc's. In fact, I find I can more quickly deal damage with Mario, so getting to the kill percent is a little easier.

Just to quickly try and explain my point about start-ups. I don't know all the technical jargon, so perhaps I'm using that term incorrectly. I can see in the video that they start up at the same time, but Mario can string attacks, one after the other, far faster than Doc. Basically, he can go from one attack to the next to the next very quickly. Perhaps it's not the start up that's slow, but the cool down between attacks (that would actually make more sense). I'm guessing it has something to do with his quicker overall speed, but I don't know. Either way, there is a noticeable difference when I play as Mario and Doc.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
What's there to test? You have data that says that they start and end on the same frames and you have a guy using a Wavebird controller showing that the moves come out on exactly the same frame.

Keep in mind that you can reverse the Up-B on hit, on shield and on whiff. Doing so with Mario is possible but since the initial hit has little knockback, it's not as safe as Doc's Up-B.

The only thing that's disappointing as far as Doc's power is concerned is how much damage he does compared to Mario (though 14% for a back air that kills early and comes out on frame 6 is pretty awesome).

Mario's moves have low knockback compared to Doc. Combined with Mario's airspeed and jump height, you get better string potential than Doc, but very percent specific combos. Doc gets more consistent combos at various percentages on various characters, but worse string potential due to his lower mobility. As shown in that video and in the frame data, there is no difference in start up or end-lag.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
What's there to test? You have data that says that they start and end on the same frames and you have a guy using a Wavebird controller showing that the moves come out on exactly the same frame.

Keep in mind that you can reverse the Up-B on hit, on shield and on whiff. Doing so with Mario is possible but since the initial hit has little knockback, it's not as safe as Doc's Up-B.

The only thing that's disappointing as far as Doc's power is concerned is how much damage he does compared to Mario (though 14% for a back air that kills early and comes out on frame 6 is pretty awesome).

Mario's moves have low knockback compared to Doc. Combined with Mario's airspeed and jump height, you get better string potential than Doc, but very percent specific combos. Doc gets more consistent combos at various percentages on various characters, but worse string potential due to his lower mobility. As shown in that video and in the frame data, there is no difference in start up or end-lag.
I'll test it anyway if that's okay with you. I'm not sure all that frame data is accurate (where/how do people get that anyway, I've always wondered?). Also, the video was uploaded in December, we've had a few patches since then. I'm guessing my findings will be no different and everything I think is happening is just a placebo, but I'll verify anyway. All I know is I can throw out attacks far quicker as Mario, frame data or not. Again, I'll try and test it to the best of my ability just to know (for my own sake), one way or the other.

If what you're saying is true, I'm surprised more people don't play as Doc. Mario's recovery is very overrated, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor between the two. Hopefully word gets out and we start seeing more Doc's in high level play.

Update: Okay, did some quick testing. The start-ups and cool downs are the same (as expected according to the frame data). But, those things are subject to subtle changes in an actual match. Here's what I found.... Doc seems to be slowed by something when actually lading a hit. Is it KB? Probably, but I'm not sure exactly. The jabs are the easiest to test. If you do a jab-jab-jab string with both Doc and Mario, they come out and end at exactly the same time. When Doc hits his opponent, however, there is a delay after each hit. Mario really doesn't have that same delay. The same seems to be true with most of Doc's hits. He's slowed/stunned for a bit after a hit.

The thing that was getting me the most I can now confirm is the lag on things like running and landing after a jump. Doc seems to have a slight delay when stopping and trying to start an attack. Mario doesn't seem to have any delay. Again, I'm not sure if there is frame data to back this up or disprove it.

Ultimately, it's the slower speeds that make the difference. With Doc, if I land an attack and try to run up and follow it, I'm often too slow. Same goes for a missed attack (or an attack that was shielded). With Mario, I can land a hit, run up quickly, follow up, rinse and repeat. If I hit their shield, there's seemingly less delay for me to get some jabs or another quick move out.

These are my own personal findings, I may be completely and utterly incorrect. I'd love to have video or data to back it up, but I don't right now. Having played thousands of hours as both Mario and Dr. Mario, I think I can tell the difference, but maybe I'm just a lunatic (people have suggested the latter on more than one occasion). Either way, thanks for the fun and friendly discussion. If anyone has more input, I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Significantly more KB? I don't think so. Better KO options? Debatable. Doc's sweet spot is on his arm, extremely hard to get right. If it's not on the sweet spot, it's tougher to KO. Spacing is much easier for Mario because of the sweet spot being on the fireball (also, his vastly quicker speed makes getting to a spot far more easy).

Mario can chain 3 Smash attacks in the time Doc can start and finish one and maybe begin the second (okay, I haven't tested that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm close). Seriously, Doc's Smash attacks start up slower than Mario's and have more ending lag. I play both, it's very noticeable to me when using one or the other.

Maybe it's placebo or I'm just crazy.
Here's the stats for both characters, doesn't seem to be as significant of differences as you say (or should be):
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mario/
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Dr. Mario/
These are my own personal findings, I may be completely and utterly incorrect. I'd love to have video or data to back it up, but I don't right now. Having played thousands of hours as both Mario and Dr. Mario, I think I can tell the difference, but maybe I'm just a lunatic (people have suggested the latter on more than one occasion). Either way, thanks for the fun and friendly discussion. If anyone has more input, I'd love to hear it!
The pages you linked show that Dr. Mario has the same endlag on almost every one of his attacks than Mario does.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
The pages you linked show that Dr. Mario has the same endlag on almost every one of his attacks than Mario does.
But they don't account for hits that actually connect. I'd like to see data that reflects that (assuming it changes). When I throw out any attack without connecting with an opponent, Doc's and Mario's animations are the same. If the hit connects, something is slowing Doc down. I'm not sure if that would be an effect of KB or some sort of cool down. I don't believe the frame data that's out there takes this into account. Again, I could be wrong.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
But they don't account for hits that actually connect. I'd like to see data that reflects that (assuming it changes). When I throw out any attack without connecting with an opponent, Doc's and Mario's animations are the same. If the hit connects, something is slowing Doc down. I'm not sure if that would be an effect of KB or some sort of cool down. I don't believe the frame data that's out there takes this into account. Again, I could be wrong.
There are no extra hitlag modifiers for any of his smash or normal attacks, so I don't think so.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
There are no extra hitlag modifiers for any of his smash or normal attacks, so I don't think so.
I tested them side-by-side, there's definitely some sort of difference. I'm not sure what it would be, though.

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
It's the running speed that kills Doc for me, also, Doc is not as near as good as Mario, I can't say he has more KO potential because Mario's got some really good options like his tornado (down air) Up air kills better than Dr.Mario's and I think even his up smash. Dr.Mario is garbage compared to Mario and it's sad, far below average speed, power that's probably not even above average and recovery that might be average. He's not a balanced character at all, he can't combo like Mario and usually has to read people for combos when Mario has all of these options for his combos. Anything Dr.Mario can do Mario can do but Doc can't do half the stuff Mario can do, you got this coming from a Doc main

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The only changes I want for Doc are better IASA frames for Jab cancels (his Jab cancel game is already great, just a few extra frames would allow Doc to Jab cancel combo the entire cast, rather than only floaties), increased damage on the loop hitboxes of Tornado (this buff alone would save the ZSS matchup in default settings given it's his best move for punishing Flip Jump), and less landing lag on F-air (Mario and Doc's biggest problem by design is they have terrible forward facing options). Doc doesn't really need much else.
It's the running speed that kills Doc for me, also, Doc is not as near as good as Mario, I can't say he has more KO potential because Mario's got some really good options like his tornado (down air) Up air kills better than Dr.Mario's and I think even his up smash. Dr.Mario is garbage compared to Mario and it's sad, far below average speed, power that's probably not even above average and recovery that might be average. He's not a balanced character at all, he can't combo like Mario and usually has to read people for combos when Mario has all of these options for his combos. Anything Dr.Mario can do Mario can do but Doc can't do half the stuff Mario can do, you got this coming from a Doc main
Mario sucks too, and honestly really isn't much better than Doc, if at all. Neither character has any reason to be winning against the buffed swordsmen in a tournament setting.

Also Mario actually just can't kill you at all if you ledge reset. Doc at least has good edgeguards and Up-B to kill people in the air, while Mario literally can't kill you in the air if you have competitive reaction time. And no, Mario's Up-air doesn't kill at all unless you call killing someone at 160% while you're at 160% a kill move.

Last edited:

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
The only changes I want for Doc are better IASA frames for Jab cancels (his Jab cancel game is already great, just a few extra frames would allow Doc to Jab cancel combo the entire cast, rather than only floaties), increased damage on the loop hitboxes of Tornado (this buff alone would save the ZSS matchup in default settings given it's his best move for punishing Flip Jump), and less landing lag on F-air. Doc doesn't really need much else.
Mario sucks too, and honestly really isn't much better than Doc, if at all. Neither character has any reason to be winning against the buffed swordsmen in a tournament setting.

Also Mario actually just can't kill you at all if you ledge reset. Doc at least has good edgeguards and Up-B to kill people in the air, while Mario literally can't kill you in the air if you have competitive reaction time. And no, Mario's Up-air doesn't kill at all unless you call killing someone at 160% while you're at 160% a kill move.

You're the first I heard say Mario sucks in this game, how do you feel?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You're the first I heard say Mario sucks in this game, how do you feel?
Look at all the characters who got buffed, and realize that they are all pretty bad matchups for Mario, and that even before the patch, Mario still sucked against plenty of characters who just happened to be less meta preferred. Also Mario is extremely overrated and people need to learn the matchup. Once you realize that Mario literally just can't kill you in the air, and you learn matchup specific responses to trade with his recovery, and take advantage of his terrible forward facing options, he's a mediocre character with limited options.

Doc definitely isn't that good either, but Doc has the important advantage of having actually seriously good aerial KO moves, as well as the best OOS option in the game.

Last edited:

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Look at all the characters who got buffed, and realize that they are all pretty bad matchups for Mario, and that even before the patch, Mario still sucked against plenty of characters who just happened to be less meta preferred. Also Mario is extremely overrated and people need to learn the matchup. Once you realize that Mario literally just can't kill you in the air, and you learn matchup specific responses to trade with his recovery, and take advantage of his terrible forward facing options, he's a mediocre character with limited options.

Doc definitely isn't that good either, but Doc has the important advantage of having actually seriously good aerial KO moves, as well as the best OOS option in the game.
Mario's definitely not an overrated character but Doc is underrated, Dr.Mario is worse than Mario but he isn't a terrible character, he just is when compared to Mario. Mario doesn't have limited actions, he has great combos, air moves that will kill, fireballs, good smash attacks and plenty of other stuff too. Mario is not overrated, you wanna talk about overrated? Talk about Sheik or freaking garbage Zero suit Samus

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's definitely not an overrated character but Doc is underrated, Dr.Mario is worse than Mario but he isn't a terrible character, he just is when compared to Mario. Mario doesn't have limited actions, he has great combos, air moves that will kill, fireballs, good smash attacks and plenty of other stuff too. Mario is not overrated, you wanna talk about overrated? Talk about Sheik or freaking garbage Zero suit Samus
Mario's combo game is crap unless you start it at specific percents in specific matchups. Most of the time, Mario has to work really hard or make reads to break 20% consistently unless it's a character that has exceptionally poor physics (or again, it depends on starting stuff at specific percents). Doc's combo game is also crap, but his stuff at least is less dependent on percents, and more consistent on floaties.

Air moves that kill? Mario can only kill you in the air with Shocking Cape, Explosive Jump Punch, High altitude D-air if you literally don't just mash airdodge (Mario can't trap you into anything else that will kill you in this position), or F-air (which will only hit you either if you DIed really poorly or have extremely bad reaction time). Mario is one of the worst characters in the game at killing you in the air in default settings. Not so for Doc who has Tornado and D-air edgeguards, Up-B, and his significantly stronger B-air which all can actually end a stock reasonably. I won't mention Doc's F-air because nobody in the right mind really should get hit by Mario or Doc F-air in the air (which is why I believe they should get less landing lag on that move).

Mario's Smashes minus U-smash are crap. F-smash is too slow and not even super safe. D-smash is weak and unsafe. U-smash is reasonably strong and safe, but is way harder to land once your opponent realizes the only thing they have to do to not get killed is either stay on a platform, or ledge reset. That being said Doc's Smashes are about the same situation. U-smash is his only good one. I would argue Doc's F-smash is actually better though because assuming your opponent knows the matchup, the only really good mindgame for tricking people into F-smash is during boxing wars, which rewards Doc significantly more when his F-smash does more damage in close range.

Also both Fireballs and Pills are crap. Except for B reverses and fake approaches. But really, they hardly matter. I fail to understand what you mean by "plenty of other stuff" when Mario really only has one gameplan, try to get close and press buttons, and hope your opponent is dumb enough to land next to you for easy U-smashes. This isn't to say Doc is better, but Doc has more variety in his gameplan when he can actually edgeguard (which Mario is arguably the worst character in the game at doing), and has aerial KO moves meaning his juggle game actually has meaningful mixups.

Last edited:

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Mario's combo game is crap unless you start it at specific percents in specific matchups. Most of the time, Mario has to work really hard or make reads to break 20% consistently unless it's a character that has exceptionally poor physics (or again, it depends on starting stuff at specific percents). Doc's combo game is also crap, but his stuff at least is less dependent on percents, and more consistent on floaties.

Air moves that kill? Mario can only kill you in the air with Shocking Cape, Explosive Jump Punch, High altitude D-air if you literally don't just mash airdodge (Mario can't trap you into anything else that will kill you in this position), or F-air (which will only hit you either if you DIed really poorly or have extremely bad reaction time). Mario is one of the worst characters in the game at killing you in the air in default settings. Not so for Doc who has Tornado and D-air edgeguards, Up-B, and his significantly stronger B-air which all can actually end a stock reasonably. I won't mention Doc's F-air because nobody in the right mind really should get hit by Mario or Doc F-air in the air.

Mario's Smashes minus U-smash are crap. F-smash is too slow and not even super safe. D-smash is weak and unsafe. U-smash is reasonably strong and safe, but is way harder to land once your opponent realizes the only thing they have to do to not get killed is either stay on a platform, or ledge reset. That being said Doc's Smashes are about the same situation. U-smash is his only good one. I would argue Doc's F-smash is actually better though because assuming your opponent knows the matchup, the only really good mindgame for tricking people into F-smash is during boxing wars, which rewards Doc significantly more when his F-smash does more damage in close range.

Also both Fireballs and Pills are crap. Except for B reverses and fake approaches. But really, they hardly matter. I fail to understand what you mean by "plenty of other stuff" when Mario really only has one gameplan, try to get close and press buttons, and hope your opponent is dumb enough to land next to you for easy U-smashes. This isn't to say Doc is better, but Doc has more variety in his gameplan when he can actually edgeguard (which Mario is arguably the worst character in the game at doing), and has aerial KO moves meaning his juggle game actually has meaningful mixups.
Nice fanfic you made there buddy, you wanna battle?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nice fanfic you made there buddy, you wanna battle?
Not really. It won't prove anything outside of how much I know the Mario/Doc/ditto matchups. They're boring and always have been ever since Melee. Come back if you need legitimate matchup help in something else.

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Not really. It won't prove anything outside of how much I know the Mario/Doc/ditto matchups. They're boring and always have been ever since Melee. Come back if you need legitimate matchup help in something else.
Buddy boy got Mario as his melee main though, shows you know what you talking about...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Buddy boy got Mario as his melee main though, shows you know what you talking about...
The ditto matchup since Melee has always been about walling, really. Since Mario and Doc suck when it comes to forward facing options. In Melee Mario looks for a U-tilt and then just does braindead juggles from there, goes for a B-air gimp when it's time to finish the stock. In Brawl and Smash 4 it's more U-smash and B-air instead but basically the same idea, just in Smash 4 Mario basically has next to no edgeguards and needs to kill with either U-smash or B-throw. Neither side really wants to approach given how stupid it is, and given once you get hit, you're facing forward which sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom