• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am so Confused! Need Help.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ok so I am reading this book for my english 20-IB course, called Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondatjje (however you spell. The author of The English Patient), and I have to write a summary on it, and try to link how this book was written to how Running in the Family was written. I am pretty sure I can do the second part easy, but I really need help into understanding the book. I am like 80% done the book, and I am confused as hell. The book is so disjointed, and non-linear it's nearly impossible to follow and keep your attention. The second something gets interesting, it stops and jumps to something else. Not only that, but the point of view is always changing from narrative, limited omniscient, omniscient and then into first person. There aren't any quotation marks for dialogue, and there are page breaks at ridiculous points. The plot.... well there is no ****ing plot, it's a total mess.

Maybe I am just not able to comprehend the book, due to my ignorance, but if anyone has read the book, and has a good understanding of it, could you please share all knowledge. Again, the book is called, Coming Through Slaughter .

Pikaluver

Smash Cadet
Is the book a class project? So what's the book about anyway....? You should try taking a few notes every chapter. That should help a bit.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Maybe learn how to read. That should help.
Seriously man, if you don't have anything helpful to add, don't bother posting.

Pikaluver makes a good suggestion, try that. While I haven't read this, I did read The Sound and the Fury which was similarly confusing. I just asked tons of questions in class and had my teacher explain it. Try picking your teacher's brain to see if that helps.

Frio

Smash Champion
I know the guy in real life. I helped him survive through English 20 by keeping him entertained.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Look up the wikipedia articles on both, and other internet sites. The wiki articles don't give much information by themselves, but re-read the books with the information in mind. Or if you don't have time, re-read some sections and use them as examples in your paper.

The Max is Back

Smash Cadet
Well I'm also reading it and all I can tell you is: the book is narrated as if it was a "Jazz" song. This is a jazz book, a philosophy of “trying to be new”. Since jazz is usually all over the place so is the writing. You may be reading Bolden's (the main character if you’re following the novel at all) thoughts and then it suddenly jumps to a nearby stranger listening to his music and analyzing it. If you really want to understand it (although you’re probably finished reading it in your English course) try sparknotes.com or reading it over a few more times.

Top Bottom