• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Belive M2K is now the most successsful smash player of all time.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Are you talking over the course of the year? I really do think SF has more money it. Our "nationals" which are what like 400 once a year. Sf has over 8 tournies a year with 250+ not to mention more weekly tournys since they have them in the weekdays also.
There is actual proof on how many Smash tournaments are in a year.
Between June 2008-June 2009 there were at least 681 tournaments worldwide- 25,269 total entrants (this doubles/triple/etc counts people, as in two tournaments in Maryland that have 40 people would could as 80 entrants, even though there may only be 45 unique people)
Between October 2009-August 2010 there were at least 414 tournaments in only the US/Canada with 4,320 unique entrants

You can't find any info like I just mentioned over at SRK, so comparing stats weekly is mostly trivial. What I can tell you though is that we are talking about money, and for SF to put on a tournament with a $7,500 prize pool they need 750 entrants. They have one national a year (EVO) that gets 1,000-2,000 entrants (so $10-$20,000 in prizes). Outside that the next biggest tournament is 400ish people, then progressively less. They do not have eight 250-person tournaments a year. 100+ person? Yes. 250+ person? No, they have about 4 250+ person events a year.

However, the point is about money. SF would have to host four 750 person events + a 3,500 person event just to match the payouts from MLG events. (4 events with $7,500 in payouts and 1 event with $35,000 in payouts, respectively). There has never been an SF event to even come close to $35,000 in payouts (meanwhile we've also had a $40,000 payout event back in Melee 2006).

In other words if you were to compare the 10-most-payout tournaments in a year (Again - US), Smash vs SF, Smash would win likely by a good 20-30k.

Then if you went deeper to locals Smash is right on par with SF, so the nationals would ultimately be the difference maker and Smash has way more money there.

Without MLG around I would say there is *slightly* more money in the SF scene. Again, the difference maker are the nationals, but I do think there are more 100+ person Smash events in a year than there are SF events. There are more 3/400+ person SF events though than Smash (Smash has zero 300+ person events, SF has...4ish).

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
@ alphazealot What if you include ssf4 vs. smash worldwide?

Who would make more?

Justin went to like China or some **** and won $8,000 not to long ago.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Worldwide Smash would still make more. Japan is SF hub and guess what? You can't play for money, so it doesn't really help their money totals. Attendance yes, money no.

I don't know what tournament JW would have attended, especially in China of all places. SBO is the only thing I can think of but it is not in China. Shrug, I'd have to see a link to the results. Also consider its Jwong, could have been MvC or some other fighter. It doesn't make sense he would travel overseas to a land populated by people who are way above the US in skill level...and win a tournament for a lot of money that those same players would likely be attending (this is SSFIV).

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
There is actual proof on how many Smash tournaments are in a year.
Between June 2008-June 2009 there were at least 681 tournaments worldwide- 25,269 total entrants (this doubles/triple/etc counts people, as in two tournaments in Maryland that have 40 people would could as 80 entrants, even though there may only be 45 unique people)
Between October 2009-August 2010 there were at least 414 tournaments in only the US/Canada with 4,320 unique entrants

You can't find any info like I just mentioned over at SRK, so comparing stats weekly is mostly trivial. What I can tell you though is that we are talking about money, and for SF to put on a tournament with a $7,500 prize pool they need 750 entrants. They have one national a year (EVO) that gets 1,000-2,000 entrants (so $10-$20,000 in prizes). Outside that the next biggest tournament is 400ish people, then progressively less. They do not have eight 250-person tournaments a year. 100+ person? Yes. 250+ person? No, they have about 4 250+ person events a year.

However, the point is about money. SF would have to host four 750 person events + a 3,500 person event just to match the payouts from MLG events. (4 events with $7,500 in payouts and 1 event with $35,000 in payouts, respectively). There has never been an SF event to even come close to $35,000 in payouts (meanwhile we've also had a $40,000 payout event back in Melee 2006).

In other words if you were to compare the 10-most-payout tournaments in a year (Again - US), Smash vs SF, Smash would win likely by a good 20-30k.

Then if you went deeper to locals Smash is right on par with SF, so the nationals would ultimately be the difference maker and Smash has way more money there.

Without MLG around I would say there is *slightly* more money in the SF scene. Again, the difference maker are the nationals, but I do think there are more 100+ person Smash events in a year than there are SF events. There are more 3/400+ person SF events though than Smash (Smash has zero 300+ person events, SF has...4ish).
What games specifically are you comparing?

Brawl AND Melee to just SSF4? Or Brawl and Melee to SSF4 and other things too?

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE YOU JASON YOU DA BESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I hope smash 4 doesn't fracture the community and we can actually become the 2nd largest competitive game after Halo (even more then halo maybe, brawl outsold halo 3)...

BigDaddy4

Smash Journeyman
Worldwide Smash would still make more. Japan is SF hub and guess what? You can't play for money, so it doesn't really help their money totals. Attendance yes, money no.

I don't know what tournament JW would have attended, especially in China of all places. SBO is the only thing I can think of but it is not in China. Shrug, I'd have to see a link to the results. Also consider its Jwong, could have been MvC or some other fighter. It doesn't make sense he would travel overseas to a land populated by people who are way above the US in skill level...and win a tournament for a lot of money that those same players would likely be attending (this is SSFIV).
worldwide SSF4 easily makes more than worldwide smash, seriously.

kx.agent

Smash Rookie
AlphaZealot said:
I don't know what tournament JW would have attended, especially in China of all places. SBO is the only thing I can think of but it is not in China.
He's talking about ESWC 2010, which happened in France. The total prize pool was around 15k iirc.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl AND Melee to just SSF4? Or Brawl and Melee to SSF4 and other things too?
Just Brawl, compared to SSFIV, in the year 2010.

worldwide SSF4 easily makes more than worldwide smash, seriously.
Got any proof? Links to large-prize tournaments? Large attendance tournaments =/= more prize money. Again the largest SF tournament ever was EVO2010 (and EVO2009 before it). Even at the highest end of estimates, lets say 2,000 people (note, no one has ever said EVO had that many people, the highest number I heard was ~1,700, EVO doesn't release official tally's unfortunately). Anyways, those 2,000 people seems like it would generate a ton more money for SF than anything we get in Smash, since our largest tournaments don't even break 300.

Except...

MLG came along and now, as I pointed out earlier, EVO would have to get at minimum 3,500 people just to match the $35,000 payout that will happen at MLG Dallas in November. There non-EVO tournaments would need 750 people just to reach the payouts of MLG Raleigh/Columbus/Orlando/DC. Outside of EVO I think there has only been one other tournament with over 750 attendees and that was Devastation.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Just Brawl, compared to SSFIV, in the year 2010.

Got any proof? Links to large-prize tournaments? Large attendance tournaments =/= more prize money. Again the largest SF tournament ever was EVO2010 (and EVO2009 before it). Even at the highest end of estimates, lets say 2,000 people (note, no one has ever said EVO had that many people, the highest number I heard was ~1,700, EVO doesn't release official tally's unfortunately). Anyways, those 2,000 people seems like it would generate a ton more money for SF than anything we get in Smash, since our largest tournaments don't even break 300.

Except...

MLG came along and now, as I pointed out earlier, EVO would have to get at minimum 3,500 people just to match the $35,000 payout that will happen at MLG Dallas in November. There non-EVO tournaments would need 750 people just to reach the payouts of MLG Raleigh/Columbus/Orlando/DC. Outside of EVO I think there has only been one other tournament with over 750 attendees and that was Devastation.
The funny thing in all of this though is that MLG is a series of events, of course it's big, understandable.

EVO is one event and it's getting in 2,000 people? Are you ****ing serious? Imagine if they had a string of events like MLG does with Brawl.

So maybe SSF4 doesn't make as much as Brawl does total per year, but it's biggest tournament will always outmatch our biggest tournament, and their big matches will ALWAYS be more hype than our big matches(not to mention that hype in brawl is non-existant, don't try to say otherwise, please).

But I'll end it all with a OBVIOUS TROLL and that's to say that Melee is still the ****ing best. **** isn't even running an MLG circuit like Brawl but it's spitting out HUGE things that get out of country players multiple times a YEAR? 8 years later and it's biggest tournament of all-time OUTMATCHES Brawl in terms of Brawl's largest ever? As far as I'm concerned, yeah Melee on MLG would be terrific. But it's obvious it doesn't need it because it still beats it without it :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
anything that makes you money is a job youre putting in work

if youre just blessed with skills that make your **** more productive or more succesfull or easier than thats just how it is. i can buy anything hard on the street for like 100 and flip it in a day for 1000

cash paper money m2k way to go

mew1000

Smash Journeyman
anything that makes you money is a job youre putting in work

if youre just blessed with skills that make your **** more productive or more succesfull or easier than thats just how it is. i can buy anything hard on the street for like 100 and flip it in a day for 1000

cash paper money m2k way to go
Now he know's what is up :):):):):):):):):)

PB&J

Smash Hero
az- is there anyway you can help m2k get some sponsors or something a free flight here and there would help out alot for jason..anything would help really

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I would rather have the respect and authority in the smash community over the money anyday. It must help to have your travel fees and stuff paid, sure. The real kicker is the respect and reputation.,, That's what I wish I had.. I'm just an old burnt out competitive smasher with a new title though..

wiito

Smash Apprentice
correct me if i'm wrong.. but at least if m2k wins mlg grand finals (wich i'm pretty sure he will) he'll be receiving the largest price check for a first place in smash... 12.5k $.. right?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Correct. The largest after that was $10,000 received by PC Chris at MLG Vegas 2006. The next largest after that was $5,000 for EVO 2k7 to Ken, $5,000 to Lee Martin for winning the Gamestop opening Brawl tournament, and $5,000 to Azen for winning the MLG New York Playoffs 2006. Ken and Isai also split a $10,000 check from MLG Vegas 2006.

Top Bottom