• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't decide on what my favourite musical genre is! ARGH!

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I really can't decide. It's difficult considering there aren't many genres but there are so many unique albums and artists within each genre! I need music for my ipod but I can't decide upon which artists I would really like to listen to. I guess I have mixed tastes.

Firstly I'd like to tell you that I LOVE Linkin park's album 'Minutes to Midnight' and with the exception of 'No more sorrow' and 'Hands Held High' I think it's an amazing album- though most wouldn't agree. I also LOVE 'X&Y' by Coldplay with the exception of the last few songs of it- which are rather dull and boring. What I love about these albums are that they've got a good rhythm, great lyrics and evidently I'm touched by them. Coldplay uses various synthesiser techniques, electric guitars and drums to do the trick and ditto Linkin Park.

In addition I also like the more 'rock-like' songs of L'arc en ciel' in contrast to their more 'JPop-like' songs- which I detest.

Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park is, in my opinion, pretty exciting to listen to and to a much lesser extent, Meteora (which I got entirely bored of listening to). Undoubtedly my favourite song by the Nu meta band is their latest single, New Divide. I am literally addicted to that song and cannot resist putting that song on loop when I feel like unwinding (though normally a bit of Bach would do the trick).

I recently picked up Muse, inspired by their popular new album Resistance, and grew quite fond of it. I discovered that it was an experimental rock band and I did admire their alternative approach to composition. I only liked a few songs from Resistance by I was given a good impression of their slightly older album 'Black Holes and Revelations.' Seemingly that album had a more intricate feel to it unlike their latest album which, to me, sounded truly eccentric.

I absolutely LOVED certain songs of Nirvana's 'Never Mind' which I had known as legendary alternative rock tracks. They are a pleasure to listen because of the intonation of Kurt Cobain's vocals and of course the amazing guitar riffs that the band has produced.

R&B has also grown to my liking but my enjoyment of it is not prolonging; not all R&B songs are that appealing and extracting the good ones from the 'less good ones' (for me R&B is never too BAD) can be a hassle. I occasionally listen to Ne-Yo but it is never my intention to listen to his albums- because they have both good songs that are relatively bland songs. Just to add, I LOVE the song 'Umbrella' by Rihanna because it has a very good beat to it, the lyrics conform to the backbone of the track and she sings it very very well.

Now I'm not generally a huge fan of music which is precisely why I'm writing this in the first place.

So in conclusion (in other words, if it was tl;dr) I'm more of a person who admires songs with meaningful lyrics, fantastic beats (or rock rhythms) that may include some element of uniqueness to it but above all can almost tell a gripping story hence sometimes shifting to mild poignancy- but not emo style poignancy! Therefore I'd be truly grateful if one could determine the most suitable musical genre for me from evidence of my current tastes. In addition, some artists, specific albums or maybe even singles would be wonderfully appropriate.

I am sorry if my use of English was poor, unclear, over-descriptive, too articulate (lol as if!) but please don't respond using the phrase' tl;dr' yourself because I've provided you with a sufficient conclusion :).

Many Thanks,

HD

Scott!

Smash Lord
What I think your problem is is that you're trying to force your taste to conform to labels, when in reality it just doesn't. In my experience a lot of people with more developed musical tastes don't conform to any specific genres. All genres have great music in them, from pop to metal to Eurodance to anything you can name.

That said, if you're looking for some way of determining where the bands you like fit in, and for researching more music that you might like, I'd recommend a few different routes. First, and easiest, is probably Pandora internet radio. You just go and type in the name of a band you like, and it dynamically creates a streaming radio station based on artists similar to the one you provided. If you want to widen or narrow the scope of a station, you can have it base itself off of more than one artist, or even songs.

Another route, which is a bit more work, but is also more under your control than the random stream of songs Pandora provides, is Last.fm. You can just go to Last.fm and find the artist page for any artist of your choice and see what other last.fm users who listen to that artist also listen to. They also have a tagging system, which essentially classifies artists under genres, time periods, and any common links the uesrs have come up with. It's skewed towards the more popular stuff, but it can still be helpful. Also, I personally don't use the last.fm radio for various reasons , so I open a second tab in my browser and go toYoutube to find the music itself. That way I can have a listen, and if I like it, I can save the link. If I don't, on to whatever's next.

I'd offer up some actual specific artist, but the only common band I read in your list that I listen to is Coldplay, though I have a small amount of L'arc that I haven't really listened to yet.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
why do you need to choose? Just listen to all the genres you like and learn to appreciate them all. I like your sig:bee:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If it ain't classical it's done...
:laugh: I must say, this is the first time I've ever heard that phrase used for classical music. I do approve of this sentence.

Since you can't seem to find specific genre you like, try to pick a composing style instead. Since I know you are a Gorillaz, I'll use Damon Albarn and probably mostly all Gorillaz songs.

Melodic- here you'll find most if not all pop genre music. This is when the composer is focusing on Melodies, of course. Her e in the song Hong Kong, you'll hear it focus on nearly all melodies. There are some wonderful things going on in the background, but the focus is always on the melody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isp5c7h-p6Y

Rhythmic- most rap fits into this, as do most music from genres started by African Americans. the focus is put on the. . . . you guessed it, Rhythm. When a melody is using a lot of the same notes in a alternating rhythm, this is a good sign of it being rhymic. Free time music, though lacking any concrete rhythm is also rhythmic music, because the focus isn't on making something you can hum along to, but exploring new rhymic ideas. Being the Gorillaz fan you are, I'm pretty sure the song Double Bass has already come to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRewkpWZTzA

Lyrical- Folk music fits ideally into this. Its music where the focus is on what is being said, and the music is a carrier for these lyrics. Think Bob Dylan. And of course, the most obvious Gorillaz song is Rock The House
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmdVJeMJRE

Now, personally, I find my self dabbling in all of these, though I do favor non-lyrical music. So if I had to label myself based on these, I'd say I'm a Rhythmic guy personally. So, if you really want to try to describe your musical taste to someone, and find it easiest to use some sort of label, but can't decided on a genre, try one of these. They are all simple and self explanatory, and you'll be understood pretty much instantly. I assume that's why you are trying to decided on your favorite genre, so you can better communicate to others your taste. Hopefully, this helps you able to communicate your taste easier without having to limit yourself to one genre.

Since English isn't your first language, ask me if you have any trouble, and I'll explain something more thoroughly and in simpiler terms in possible. Hope this helps HD :)

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Haha OP, I like pretty much enjoy the exact same music genres. RnB and some Rock.

-Hands Held High- has some pretty kool lyrics, "When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die."

You don't need to pick just one, listen to them all.

Top Bottom