• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I feel a bit dismotivated

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

There's this friend I have in our Smash group that just seems to keep understimating my skill unintentionally...he always says that I save the replays in which he plays "horribly". Always. Which is really untrue...in 80% of the fights I uploaded he usually wins and I see him play the same as usual. He only likes to save the rare ones where I he 2-3 stocks me where I make a mistake/SD and then proclaims he played "well" there. >_>
Then there are other instances were I have a replay where I did pretty well against our best player, and then my friend said he [our best player] was playing pretty sloppy was all.
And at last. I am beggining to learn how to play Wario, and when we were playiing a few matches I was like "hey im getting the hang of wario", then he proceeded to do the usual and say "nah im just not playing very well"

I know it's silly drama and all, but I just find it really annoying of him to always do that, even if it's unintentional, but it has put me down a little.

Any advice?

D

Deleted member 189823

I've actually been borderline on doing that the other day now that I'm learning Wario. :wario:
It's still pretty annoying. >_>

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If someone is only playing well when he's winning and only playing poorly when he's losing and doesn't have an absurdly high win ratio then I'd like to make the claim that he's actually very inconsistent and has no place in judging skill.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I've learned to not care what other people think about my skill. If he brags about being better than you, than that's his perogative. Just get better, practice, and beat him. He may say stuff like "Man i'm not playing so good", but the more you beat him, the more he realizes.

as for :wario: I'd just visit the character discussion.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
He sounds pretty immature to me. Basically what he's saying to you is
-I lost to you, therefore I wasn't playing properly, cause I'm better than you
-I bet you, therefore I was playing properly, cause I'm better than you

Notice how he never (outside of the Wario example) gives credit/fault to you, he makes it sound like you're always playing the same, but your opponents are either playing properly (beating you) or improperly (losing to you).

So if he acts like the times that he beats you solidly is how he plays 'normally' , or how he 'should' be playing, and the times that you beat him are when he's not playing normally, you should realize this makes no sense and it works both ways.
You could easily just do the opposite and pretend that when he loses to you is how he plays 'normally', and when he beats you that's when he gets lucky/fluke wins or you weren't playing properly.

Forget about 'better' or 'worse'. If somebody acts like they're better than you but you beat them most of the time, it should be obvious who the better player is.
And if a player's performance varies from very good to very bad, then that's a lack of skill on their part. Consistency is a form of skill.

TL;DR You shouldn't care about when people say things like 'I should have won', those things don't matter (outside of like their controller breaking midmatch or somebody screaming in their ear during the match and stuff like that). What matters is who actually won, that's the proper way to measure skill.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
Learn how to play ICs and annoy the crap out of him. Or just get really good and beat him consistently. OR play his own game, whenever you lose, say you're not into it, and whenever you win, brag like you're the king of smash.

or get some new friends. that guy sounds like a douche bag

DekuTree

Smash Rookie
I hate it when this happens to someone, so now you must win for me! Study a lot of techs for Wario and just practice a lot. Look up the characters he plays and find their weakness'. Once that is all done smash him down and put him in his place. ;)

nessokman

Smash Lord
HA!cocky and arrogant are words for him. PM me his fc and i'll give you mine to give him.I think i can easily beat him with a low teir character LUCAS!

Top Bottom