• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Found a Controller Similar to the Gamecube Controller

Accf124

Smash Journeyman

It's a NYKO pro controller, yes it is wireless but according to this article it has a 25 hour battery life (Article gonna be at bottom).

I'm not sure about charging and durability but maybe if you interested guys you could check it out. I only made this article for people who were thinking about Gamecube controllers on Wii U.

The article:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/10/nyko-unveils-cheap-wii-u-pro-controller-at-ces/

Pony

Smash Apprentice
That looks kinda comfortable.
I'd be into it if there isn't any lag, like the wavebird did.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Aside from the right stick being below ABXY, I don't see any advantage to this controller. The Wii U Pro Controller probably has an equal or lower amount of latency, and has an 80-hour battery life. Neat find, though. I didn't realize 3rd party controllers were still around.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Aside from the right stick being below ABXY, I don't see any advantage to this controller. The Wii U Pro Controller probably has an equal or lower amount of latency, and has an 80-hour battery life. Neat find, though. I didn't realize 3rd party controllers were still around.
Also cheaper. :p

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Also cheaper. :p
Which is cheaper? If the Nyko is cheaper, that'd be a decent reason to get it (Wii U Pro Controllers go for $50 I think). But if the Nintendo one is cheaper, then there's really no reason to get the Nyko.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Which is cheaper? If the Nyko is cheaper, that'd be a decent reason to get it (Wii U Pro Controllers go for $50 I think). But if the Nintendo one is cheaper, then there's really no reason to get the Nyko.
According to the article linked the Nyko is 34.99$. Tis still a bit of money but is a reasonable price from 50$. It's jsut that hte battery life is pitiful compared the Wii-U pro and is much more of a in-convience then a battery life on a handheld. Unless you can now play with controls while they are charging now.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
According to the article linked the Nyko is 34.99$. Tis still a bit of money but is a reasonable price from 50$. It's jsut that hte battery life is pitiful compared the Wii-U pro and is much more of a in-convience then a battery life on a handheld. Unless you can now play with controls while they are charging now.

You can, at least the Nintendo Wii U controls can.

Anyways, I would gladly give $15 more than get a controller of inferior quality, specially when planning for a game that I know I will play for years to come (and will probably need a controller change at some point).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You can, at least the Nintendo Wii U controls can.

Anyways, I would gladly give $15 more than get a controller of inferior quality, specially when planning for a game that I know I will play for years to come (and will probably need a controller change at some point).
Eh I probably will just stick with the Wii CCP since it is compatible with the Wii-U and I am already use to it and already own it, that is if I can get a Wii-U for Christmas.

XquiZiTX8X

Smash Cadet
There's really no reason to not spend an extra 15 for a first party controller, especially from nintendo.

Even smarter is buying a 17 dollar GC adapter. Not only are you able to stick with the GC, but you save more than 30 dollars.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That thing has a more original design that the Wii U pro.

Considering the fact that the Wii U Pro controller is almost literally an Xbox 360 controller with digital (non-analog) trigger buttons and a switch between the placements of the 2nd stick and the face buttons, then yes, almost every controller is more original than the Wii U Pro.

The question is are they better in terms of quality or efficiency when playing. I am willing to bet this particular controller isn't.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Still waiting for a wired controller or a way to hack the Wii U to allow for wired controllers.

Seriously Nintendo, why do you gotta be all behind the curve on that one, as well as region locking, releasing your consoles with good games (NEW SMB U is not a good game, sorry folks), and, you know, actually trying to build for the future=???

Ulevo

Smash Master
One disadvantage a lot of these controllers have for Smash specifically, at least for those of us who jump with Y on the GC controller, is that the buttons are spaced out quite far. Being able to aerial immediately is pretty big advantage, and it was easy when your thumb tip could rest on the Y button and the knuckle of your thumb rest on the A button.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
One disadvantage a lot of these controllers have for Smash specifically, at least for those of us who jump with Y on the GC controller, is that the buttons are spaced out quite far. Being able to aerial immediately is pretty big advantage, and it was easy when your thumb tip could rest on the Y button and the knuckle of your thumb rest on the A button.
I personally used my c-stick for aerial. It made RARs fun to do.

Uffe

Smash Hero
One thing I've learned about most 3rd party controllers is that they're either not as good as the original, or they have issues later on. So while it looks nice, I'm not sure if I'd give it a chance. I'd have to know what other people have experienced from it first.

Groose

Smash Champion
One thing I've learned about most 3rd party controllers is that they're either not as good as the original, or they have issues later on. So while it looks nice, I'm not sure if I'd give it a chance. I'd have to know what other people have experienced from it first.

This. I tried a bunch of wireless and cheap controllers back in the day for Gamecube, but nothing was remotely good enough for Smash.

Heck, those cheapy controllers weren't even good enough for Mario Kart.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I actually found a good Wii U pro controller. It is white with black button and has dual functionality as a Wii-mote (has infrared pointer in front) Works just as well as my GameCube controllers and is rechargeable.

Edit: it was about $30, here is what it says on back:

Controller Pro U
3.7V - 250mAh​
for home and office use only​
copyright 2012 INTERWORKS UNLIMITED​
all rights reserved​
patents pending​
Made in China​

Top Bottom