• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I grow tired of the basic level scheme; I HAVE A SOLUTION!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
(*Pictures made by me*)

So we are all preety much familiar with the standard level design; three hovering platforms and a long platform that makes up the body. It is what we have been seeing alot of as of late in Brawl, and although it's not a bad premise (as the design permits the most efficient way to Brawl, giving everyone equal chances) I am quite sure we can mix it up a tad dont'cha think?

BEHOLD! MY LEVEL DESIGNS!

Design: Inverted

I personally think this design is quite interesting. You can fight at the top as you normally would, and the bottom platforms add up a newer feel to the overall smash experience, as you have a sure bet at recovery if someone spikes you.

Design: Righty

Can you say teching and lots of it? =O Right smashes against someone who is great at teching really increases the intensity as the platforms will allow for a certain "grip" if you will, if you are near one as you fly.

Design: Lefty

Same as above basically, just switched.

Design: Advanced
This multiplatform setup allows for far more strategic ideas than the standard level scheme. The ascending platforms are excellent for juggling combos, as you can practically ascend to the heavens with your hapless victim, and the bottom platform allows for a small breather in the form of the slowly rotating platform on the bottom rung of the stage. Completly safe at the very bottom, but very risky.

Design: Offensive

Didn't really know what to call this one, so I stuck with "offensive." I went a little bit overboard, but I was having fun, so bite me. Basically, the top four platforms move at certain speeds and act as reflectors. You can however, stand on them. The small cannon like thing in the right corner is just that. It will fire a laser at an arc into the reflector mass, in which the reflectors will do what they do best, reflect. Meanwhile, the bottom part with the 5 platforms are a standard slow moving wheel. This is where most of the action is supposed to take.

9/21/07 UPDATE:

Design: Cluster

This one is a doozie. TECHING BONANZA! XDD This level has alot of platforms to reach, making recovery quite easy to acheive, and the fact that all the platforms are clustered together quite snug allows for less camping as well as less edge-whoring. Also, each platform is fall through, so you can fully utilize the level to it's maximum potential. The middle bar goes through the middle of the level, acting as a bumper.

Design: Spiky

This level is determined to keep you in one place because of how it is setup. The spikes do crazy knockback and will send you flying around like a bouncy ball at high percentages. Think the dungeon on hyrule temple and it's bouncy fun, but the whole level is like that. You can't fall through these platforms obviously, and the always moving north, east, and west platforms guarentee a small chance of survival if flung from the level. If you love to throw, this is the place for you! XD

Design: Playground

it looks small because of the picture, but I had a large enviroment in mind when I created this schematic. Quite simply, it is like the Hyrule Temple in the sense that it is a large battlefield. This level design is made just to have fun, and makes for great four player skirmishes. Not only that, but it's hella fun if you get those items a-flowin'.

10/30/07 UPDATE

Design: Compact

Ok, this was the first one I did tonight, and it sort of shows through. :laugh: There is quite a few things going on here. The bottom two series of spikes will sort of "slide" slowly down the tilted plane, but will have a reasonable gap between them as you can see. They will never meet against one another. The middle square piece will have spikes as well, however, they will randomly appear around the square as a whole. The spikes will never always be sticking out, as they will retract after a few seconds unsheathed. The series of small platforms is where the bulk of the battle will go, but if you are daring, you can fight on the naked plane between the spikes.

Design: Flooded Fortress

Self explanatory, and a little bit better than the last design in my opinion. What we have here is a fortress. This fortress has really no distractions whatsoever, except for the rising water. I say flooded fortress, but it never gets fully flooded. It actually sinks just deep enough to fill that bottom room. The two arrows near the base of the fortress on both sides signify that the doors will open to allow for access inside the castle. It may be a little hard to see, but the red dots near the top of the castle is a new little thing I am incorporating in my designs to show random door openings, with the exception of the two arrows near the base, as I simply forgot to color them red. As I just stated the red dots show the spacing for the two doors that open near the top to allow access to the roof, upon where you will be able to leap up on the flag platform, (except you won't be able to stand on the flag unless the wind is not blowing it.) You can walk around both the perimeter of the castle, as well as battle in the interior.

Design: Smash Tower

Now, I know I probably shouldn't brag about my designs, (and I usually won't,) but fellas I just love this design. It was the last one I drew for tonight, so I tried to make it look good as well as fully functional, and much to my surprise, it came out beautifully. First thing I want to bring to your attention is the four containers up at the top of the picture. See the redline? The boxes open, but they only open just long enough for your character to drop from them. That's right, they are spawn points! :laugh: Once the character drops, the box shuts and a Spike comes out to cover the opening. So they don't become useless when the character exits from them, I figured it would only be suiting to give them offensive capabilities.

A platform right under the boxes that moves left and right, nothing special. The trench filled with water is another place to battle at, as there is solid ground to stand on if smashed in the water. I originally wanted to make it bottomless, but I wanted a moat, so there you go. Back to the main platform. As you can see, we have ourselves 3 red lines. The left and right lines will open, the middle one will open only during special occasions. Inside the tower, we have ourselves an inescapable box, but with plenty of room to smash. You can rack up loads of damage before the doors open, allowing you to escape. Wait a tic, whats going on with the base? During certain times, the door leading to the spike pit will open, which is when you want to toss a victim in.

Once the poor player is trapped inside the spike pit, the door slams shut, the helpless player being slung around with insane momentum, 100% intervals passing in mere seconds! What happens when the door opens? The player is then flung straight up towards the surface of the tower, where our middle door snaps open, jettisoning the poor victim straight up and right between the 2nd and 3rd spawn boxes. Basically? This level will have a "final smash" of it's own, only it's insta-death! :laugh:

I have alot more if you guys are interested, but I will need some feedback. Should I post the rest of my ideas? Or do you think I should stop? Up to you.

SteveTV

Smash Apprentice
I think it's fun. Personally I enjoy thinking about the things they could do rather than complain about the things they are giving us, like everyone else seems to do. I would like to see more of your ideas. I really like the inverted. It kinda reminds me of the C. Falcon stage where you can be under the ship and on the cars. I really enjoy that. Ceiling techs would be in high numbers like at the bottom of Hyrule. Were you thinking we could press down to fall through the lower platforms?

I also like the advanced stage. It's a lot like a double DK Island (or whatever it's called). It seems to be a good teams stage.

Righty, and Lefty would be very fun to play on as well,

As for the offensive stage, I love playing on the windmill on Pokestadium So I would love to play here. The only question I have is about the lazer. When it shoots will the platforms be lining up properly so the lazer is reflected all over the stage for a few seconds or will it be a random fire, and if they happen to line up then great?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I think it's fun. Personally I enjoy thinking about the things they could do rather than complain about the things they are giving us, like everyone else seems to do. I would like to see more of your ideas. I really like the inverted. It kinda reminds me of the C. Falcon stage where you can be under the ship and on the cars. I really enjoy that. Ceiling techs would be in high numbers like at the bottom of Hyrule. Were you thinking we could press down to fall through the lower platforms?

I also like the advanced stage. It's a lot like a double DK Island (or whatever it's called). It seems to be a good teams stage.

Righty, and Lefty would be very fun to play on as well,

As for the offensive stage, I love playing on the windmill on Pokestadium So I would love to play here. The only question I have is about the lazer. When it shoots will the platforms be lining up properly so the lazer is reflected all over the stage for a few seconds or will it be a random fire, and if they happen to line up then great?
Great to hear someone say something. :) Yea, I really see no reason to complain about what we receive, because the game is going to be hella fun regardless. Actually I was, and truthfully, I was thinking that maybe one of the platforms would be solid while the other two were fall-through.

I probably should have went more indepth with the laser bit. My apologies. :laugh: Basically, the reflectors would continue about their business, slowly rotating. If one of the reflectors get hit, the whole rotation would halt, so whatever angle they were in at the time is the setup. The thing is however, that the top part is designed so that when the laser has no pad to hit, it will have a place to fall through, namely, the rest of the level. It's basically the distraction of the level, with about as much strength as a bullet bill explosion, so preety much, insta-kill if it makes contact.

Glad to see you like them though. I will post a few more in a little bit. :psycho:

Spellman

Smash Ace
Neato

Haha, I like it! I like inverted too. 'Cept for the fact that I might fall through them by pressing down (although, that could make for a tricky upward special or attack followed by a recovery.), and I don't exactly thing I'd like them to be solid neither. Advanced is nice too.

garbage

Smash Journeyman
I love'em all. The last one is a bit iffy, lol, but still **** cool.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Have you considered the rationale behind the current stage designs? Imagine fighting Fox on some of those stages. He shoots you with a few lasers, and spends the rest of the match running away from you, circling the stage. You'll never be able to catch him because he's the fastest character in the game. So when he counterpicks you there, it's an automatic win.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
I do really agree with you the stages in my opinion, should be larger like lyat cruise more spread out.In melee the stages i played on the most were the bigger, like lyat cruise and that zelda stage.Theres more room to fight and move around more.

Weed

Smash Lord
I'm loving these ideas, the last one I don't really understand,
But I enjoy the idea of switching around the overused bread and butter template for basic stages.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Have you considered the rationale behind the current stage designs? Imagine fighting Fox on some of those stages. He shoots you with a few lasers, and spends the rest of the match running away from you, circling the stage. You'll never be able to catch him because he's the fastest character in the game. So when he counterpicks you there, it's an automatic win.
The overall point I am trying to make is to do something new, something different...

Y'know, flesh out the formula if you will. Yes, some players will do that strategy, but not everyone will, and besides, we have Fox players who just run around on Corneria as well.

and when it comes to counter-picking, they can always just ban the stage.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
I think inverted could be renamed "Camper's Heaven", but I do think all these stages are interesting. I especially liked the last one. I'm sure it'd be banned in tourneys, but I think Sakurai should put a stage of equal or greater craziness in the game just for kicks. Bring on more!

0rion

Smash Journeyman
(*Pictures made by me*)

So we are all preety much familiar with the standard level design; three hovering platforms and a long platform that makes up the body. It is what we have been seeing alot of as of late in Brawl, and although it's not a bad premise (as the design permits the most efficient way to Brawl, giving everyone equal chances) I am quite sure we can mix it up a tad dont'cha think?

BEHOLD! MY LEVEL DESIGNS!

Design: Inverted

I personally think this design is quite interesting. You can fight at the top as you normally would, and the bottom platforms add up a newer feel to the overall smash experience, as you have a sure bet at recovery if someone spikes you.

Design: Righty

Can you say teching and lots of it? =O Right smashes against someone who is great at teching really increases the intensity as the platforms will allow for a certain "grip" if you will, if you are near one as you fly.

Design: Lefty

Same as above basically, just switched.

Design: Advanced
This multiplatform setup allows for far more strategic ideas than the standard level scheme. The ascending platforms are excellent for juggling combos, as you can practically ascend to the heavens with your hapless victim, and the bottom platform allows for a small breather in the form of the slowly rotating platform on the bottom rung of the stage. Completly safe at the very bottom, but very risky.

Design: Offensive

Didn't really know what to call this one, so I stuck with "offensive." I went a little bit overboard, but I was having fun, so bite me. Basically, the top four platforms move at certain speeds and act as reflectors. You can however, stand on them. The small cannon like thing in the right corner is just that. It will fire a laser at an arc into the reflector mass, in which the reflectors will do what they do best, reflect. Meanwhile, the bottom part with the 5 platforms are a standard slow moving wheel. This is where most of the action is supposed to take.

I have alot more if you guys are interested, but I will need some feedback. Should I post the rest of my ideas? Or do you think I should stop? Up to you.
Heh....da top one looks like Battlefield.

And cuz, u get an A+++++ for creativity man!

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
I'm very impressed with the level of creativity that has gone into these levels. I do see a problem with "Inverted" though. A fast character with projectiles (i.e. Fox) could abuse the bottom 2 platforms, jumping across and then back up onto the top platforms, all the while shooting at the opponent. But all in all, very cool. I like 'em a lot!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I designed three more =P

Design: Cluster

This one is a doozie. TECHING BONANZA! XDD This level has alot of platforms to reach, making recovery quite easy to acheive, and the fact that all the platforms are clustered together quite snug allows for less camping as well as less edge-whoring. Also, each platform is fall through, so you can fully utilize the level to it's maximum potential. The middle bar goes through the middle of the level, acting as a bumper.

Design: Spiky

This level is determined to keep you in one place because of how it is setup. The spikes do crazy knockback and will send you flying around like a bouncy ball at high percentages. Think the dungeon on hyrule temple and it's bouncy fun, but the whole level is like that. You can't fall through these platforms obviously, and the always moving north, east, and west platforms guarentee a small chance of survival if flung from the level. If you love to throw, this is the place for you! XD

Design: Playground

it looks small because of the picture, but I had a large enviroment in mind when I created this schematic. Quite simply, it is like the Hyrule Temple in the sense that it is a large battlefield. This level design is made just to have fun, and makes for great four player skirmishes. Not only that, but it's hella fun if you get those items a-flowin'.

That's all for tonight folks. =P

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
At least 3 of the levels you've suggested have some sort of circle, which can potentially make Fox broken, as some people have already pointed out. I suppose that this isn't really a big issue if you only want to play casually, and the levels with circles could just be banned in tournaments, so I wouldn't have any huge objections to seeing levels like these in Brawl as long there aren't too many of them.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
the offensive one would be a cool training ground to get your jumps down or something

Rash

Smash Ace
I definitely agree about your first design. From day one I thought that inverting battlefield's platforms was a ridiculously simple yet surprisingly effective way to change things up a little bit.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I'm not sure whether this would help, but inverted looks cool, so I'll give a suggestion: make the top platform drop-through-able. This would make it easier to catch campers. I'm not sure whether the bottom platforms should be able to be dropped through...

I do like the inverted idea, though.

Ash Hol

Smash Apprentice
those are nice designs, but be assured that there are many many more levels out there so all of theme wont seem basic

Wurmtoken

Smash Cadet
For the lefty and righty stages what if the platforms from battlefeild "unlocked" travel to the side and "lock" then that sequeance is repeated for the left, right and middle? Make it so it happens about as much as the Stadium element shift and you have a balanced stage that still changes things up.

Top Bottom