• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate my character lottery(AKA, I need to find and stick with a character)

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
Well as the title says, I have played the "character lottery" since the very first SSB and with brawl, it is no different. I am in serious need of being redirected onto the path of Brawl. A step in this path is to choose a character and stick with them. I am asking you for your opinion.

I like to play characters who have a plethora of techniques that are considered by some as "cheap". I also like characters that can play offensively and don't need to rack up a high damage percentage before going for the kill.

Thanks for your time

Atmapalazzo

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So you're asking us to tell you what you could easily find out by watching videos and play the game yourself? Riiiiiight...

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
So you're asking us to tell you what you could easily find out by watching videos and play the game yourself? Riiiiiight...
Videos tend to help me about as much as horse ****, and I have played the game constantly, I'm just not good at figuring this stuff out. :urg:

Oh yea, my meta:

Game & Watch
Olimar
Snake
Ike
Pit
Marth

sxiz

Smash Cadet
Sounds like you're looking for a powerful camper.

Snake or Olimar.

Valdens

Smash Ace
Cheap? Check, double check
Offensive? Check
Good at killing? Somewhat, but can rack up the damage rather easily.

MetaKnight sounds like your answer.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong is my first suggestion. Playing with him is fun and hilarious.

My second suggestion is mastering Zelda. Discover how powerful her sparkles have become.

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
So basically you're looking for the cheapest, easiest character to get a hold of... You make me sad, that it's obvious you don't want to even try applying yourself to make a character good. You should choose your character based on who you like and then make them as good as you can, especially now before tiers are out and really define the best from the worst.

But if you won't heed my advice, then do whatever. Metaknight or Pit are probably your best bets, more likely Metaknight.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Pit and MK are by far the cheapest characters. Unfortunately their attacks have low knockback so killing's a little harder.

Esca

Smash Champion
Despite all the rude and lude behavior these guys have been sending you, i'll tell you your character(s) you should plan to get good with...

For starters:

1) Marth - Marth is the best strategic player in the game. His tipper ko's at about 69%, and his sword has great range. Marth is great against smaller characters, such as Jiggly, Diddy, Peach, and Snake. Marth has a good forward air, so utilize it well, for it shall bring you much success.

2) Falco - Falco has a very very decent cg (chain grab) combo, also he has a good u-tilt, and b-air. Also use his spike well, it's a very irritating move and it does damage great. Use falco against people with good projectiles, he has a reflector shield that's pretty good.

These are my two best choices for you to use..

Leave your comments and tell me what you think.

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
Despite all the rude and lude behavior these guys have been sending you, i'll tell you your character(s) you should plan to get good with...

For starters:

1) Marth - Marth is the best strategic player in the game. His tipper ko's at about 69%, and his sword has great range. Marth is great against smaller characters, such as Jiggly, Diddy, Peach, and Snake. Marth has a good forward air, so utilize it well, for it shall bring you much success.

2) Falco - Falco has a very very decent cg (chain grab) combo, also he has a good u-tilt, and b-air. Also use his spike well, it's a very irritating move and it does damage great. Use falco against people with good projectiles, he has a reflector shield that's pretty good.

These are my two best choices for you to use..

Leave your comments and tell me what you think.
I agree with you here in a big way man, and if you think my comment was rude, it wasn't intended as such. Your choices are valid but the way the TC said it was for a cheap character.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
So basically you're looking for the cheapest, easiest character to get a hold of... You make me sad, that it's obvious you don't want to even try applying yourself to make a character good. You should choose your character based on who you like and then make them as good as you can, especially now before tiers are out and really define the best from the worst.

But if you won't heed my advice, then do whatever. Metaknight or Pit are probably your best bets, more likely Metaknight.
I think I came off the wrong way, I wanted a character who can perform techniques that make people say "How the **** did you do that?" or "That's so not right!". I wanted a character with a really neat trick to them (like the magnet zap jump of Lucas, though I see little tactical value in it) (again, I can't analyze for ****). Though I love performing chain grabs against people who can't break out of it (like my friends), that was not what I was aiming for.

Edit: Thanks for your suggestions, I have tried out Diddy Kong against my brother (plays Ike and Pit) and made the game come down to the last stock most of the time (which is a major increase from how I did before). I'll be trying Falco, Meta Knight, and other suggested characters soon.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What's wrong with having a "character lottery"? Btw, this is how my brother was in Melee for a good 2 years or so. He'd change mains about once a week, usually after every tournament we went to, until he decided to stick mostly with Samus and Captain Falcon. Mostly it was from watching a good player at a tournament whose style of play intrigued him, and then when we get home he says "Hey, I'm going to main Marth now" (or whatever). Even I had the "character lottery" thing going when I started playing Melee. Now, both of us pretty much decided on a main for Brawl, but that doesn't mean that either of us won't randomly change our minds...

Just pick whoever you want. You don't have to have a main. Most of the best players I know play every character at least decently.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
I think you may like the IC's.
They can perform a pretty much inescapable chain grab depending on how efficient you are at it and not to mention they have reasonable power, they can camp well with their icicles, can do a chain grab spike where once you reach the end of the stage you end up spiking them to their death, oh and theres 2 of them so you cant really grab them -__-
The only down side is the chaingrabbing is very hard to perform but you'll probably wow and piss off your friends at the same time.
(PS I hate fighting ice climbers for the above stated reasons, pretty much the only way I ever get out of my friends chain grab is by mashing the jump button towards him so i can footstool off his head and out of grab range.)

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Well as the title says, I have played the "character lottery" since the very first SSB and with brawl, it is no different. I am in serious need of being redirected onto the path of Brawl. A step in this path is to choose a character and stick with them. I am asking you for your opinion.

I like to play characters who have a plethora of techniques that are considered by some as "cheap". I also like characters that can play offensively and don't need to rack up a high damage percentage before going for the kill.

Thanks for your time

Atmapalazzo
Pick the IC's, they have a crap load of character specific techniques that most consider cheap(especially their infinites), and they can kill off of one grab, so you don't have to worry about getting them to a high percent.

justexisting

Smash Rookie
I'd say since it looked like you've already been playing these two a bit, I'd go with GW or Olimar. Olimar can rack up damage in no time by sticking the pikmin to someone, and a number of his attacks up smash for example, is more than strong enough to get you killing blows after the leeching occurs.

and as someone said earlier, GW played right is a beast...

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
Just use the random button! i actually found my R.o.b. like that. Oddly enough... my main and my secondaries are lined up. toon link, rob, and olimar.

Johnothano

Smash Rookie
I think what everyone is trying to say here is that in brawl you have a ton of characters that are "good when used correctly" or better put "cheap as all hell in the right hands"

I main wolf and pikachu, and with both I have had my friends telling me how "cheap" I am. For refrence, one person I play with regularly arrow spams with pit, and another mains metaknight.... whatever :)

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
I too have played the "Character Lottery" and I was consumed with trying to find a high/top tier character, eventually I just decieded to stick with the character that was "my style" and that turned out to be Sheik and mingle with the other characters but I am all-out pro with Sheik. What i'mt rying to say its just about finding what character you like, hell Gimpy played Bowser (Mid/Low Tier) he owned the crap outta people.

Pabs

Smash Cadet
Lucas is nice. He can be extremely flashy, but he isn't a cheap character. A lot of depth to his gameplay.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
Thanks fot you replies everyone. I've been way too concerned about my upcoming school tournament and unsure of myself. You all have helped me a lot.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman

Atmapalazzo
Well good for you, some people aren't smart enough to realize this on there own that you can't possibly be your best unless you specialize.

If you like cheap shots choose Pit or Snake. All is specials are "cheap" (whatever that means)
No, honestly his DownB is cheap.....

If you like characters that down need alot of damage to K.O....

Ike all around
Lucas surprisingly
Captain Falcon, Luigi, Marth, Pikachu, Dedede, DK, Snake.

I know thats alot, but I'm sure you can pick 4 out of 10 that fit you description and feel natural to use, but it's really all up to skill.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
cheapest character i can think of are.. lucus.. his up smash kills you when ur at 60 health non charged.. and pit.. you cant get passed his side b for crap.. projectiles cant even get passed it =/

rabbitgod

Smash Rookie
I'd go with Pit. He is probably the most annoying character I have to play against. He has tons of moves that are really good and lots of special things you can do with him, especially if you get good with his arrows. His forward B is the most annoying move in the game as far as I am concerned.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
At least Kirby isn't cheap. Well, I don't THINK he is.

Go with Pit if you're not sure.

Top Bottom