• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate when people say "well played" when you lose

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
or the middle ground 'good game'

but that's boring

Pengie

Smash Lord
playing this song as someone's losing/after someone loses seems like a better alternative to "good games" =p

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
It's only really annoying if they clearly destroyed you. If it was a close set, I'm fine with it.
I usually just go with the generic "good game(s)," regardless of the outcome.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i hate people who make little comments about everything that happens in the game

man just stfu and play

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah some people seem to feel the need to say something when they win as if the person who lost needs to hear something to make them feel better. It's just a game lol, next match!

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i like hearing it....especially if i played well ( for once ) im almost at 1 year of playing melee so compliments are welcomed ..i try to win but expect to lose whenever i play a higher level player ...my biggest goal is to prove myself and make the respect me as player if i end up wining thats a bigger plus ... i wish i didnt get so nervous though

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I really just don't care what people say to me I just get up, say gg, and walk away when I lose. I do this a lot considering I'm not all that great.

It's just a vidya game, no need to get fanny-flustered

D

Deleted member

there is nothing wrong with taking satisfaction from one's own performance regardless of outcome. honest evaluation of play is an excellent source of personal learning.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I only say good game to my opponent when I lose lol. I don't know what to say if I win so I usually wait for them to respond first.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i hate people who make little comments about everything that happens in the game

man just stfu and play
lool this
"seriously?"
"are you kidding me?"
I'm pretty sure I've never done this in tournament, but these are my catchphrases in casuals for phantom hits, FoD's platfoms happening to appear at just the wrong time, battlefield's edges and general janky stuff lol.

as for the topic, I usually corrected the opponent who crushed me when they said good games. mostly by telling them they were way too good or something lol. a close set, win or loose, I'd almost always say good games. except to Sheik/puff players. just salt in that case :p

JKJ

Smash Ace
I played this one Roy once who wouldn't stop talking during the match.
Really threw me off. Not trash-talking, persay, but just annoying comments.
Match starts, he's on the top platform. "I have the high ground, Anakin!"
"I have all these upairs just for you. TAKE EM"
those are just some of the really annoying highlights.

In regards to the thread, I don't mind it if it's close, but if its destruction, then don't blatantly lie to my face lol

JKJ

Smash Ace
It's just unsportsmanlike, in my opinion, if I screamed every time you started a combo to mess you up, that wouldn't make me the better player.

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
It's mad uncomfortable when you're winning and people whine or make some kind of weird-ass sound every time they get hit, like they're going to cry or rage or something. I'm either quiet or I laugh when they do something cool, and always say good game. **** weird / bad sportsmanship, **** throws me off.

Edited for spelling stuff.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I am seriously busting up right now. I'd play friendlies with this guy for DAYZ. What was his name and what region was he from?

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
"I have the high ground Anakin" is great.

I like "well-played" if it really was a particularly good fight. Most of the time a basic "good game" is enough.

NNID
dansalvato
My favorite talkers are the ones who talk before, between, and after matches. Just conversation, about the game or whatever. It really helps ease my nerves and I'm immediately on friendly terms with the guy. Then, after the match we shake hands and talk about the match, and there's no negative air.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I am seriously busting up right now. I'd play friendlies with this guy for DAYZ. What was his name and what region was he from?
He was a pretty nice guy, he was the guy who ran the Blu Planet tournament. He's from Long Island.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
"I have all these upairs just for you. TAKE EM"
those are just some of the really annoying highlights.

In regards to the thread, I don't mind it if it's close, but if its destruction, then don't blatantly lie to my face lol
Consider yourself lucky you weren't part of Taj's Crazy Hyrule Adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RiiudZjk6k

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
idk about comments and talking during a match, but hell, if my opponent gets an excellent read/combo/w.e on me, ill be like, "that was hella nice"

otherwise, gg always works, deal with it nerds

D

Deleted member

you guys care too much about something that doesn't matter at all.

everyone else who reads this post and after: if you have time to have an opinion on this and take yourself seriously. stop. go work on your technical game for 20 minutes instead.

NNID
dansalvato
I would say if it affects you having a good time and getting along with your fellow players, it matters a hell of a lot. Players, especially newcomers, should feel rewarded for their efforts, even if they lose the match. That's up to us, as individuals in the community, to take a little edge off of what can be a very stressful environment.

Top Bottom