• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a huge problem with the current stage ruleset.

D

Deleted member

I'm VERY interested in what your solution is.
In early 2009 I was made the leader of the MBR, so I hand-picked a dozen or so new additions and added them. Then, after working with the MBR intimately for 3 months or so, we made this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229

That's my rule set, with the help of approximately 50 of the best minds to ever approach the game. I consider it one of my best accomplishments, smash wise.

Laijin

Smash Hero
In early 2009 I was made the leader of the MBR, so I hand-picked a dozen or so new additions and added them. Then, after working with the MBR intimately for 3 months or so, we made this:

That's my rule set, with the help of approximately 50 of the best minds to ever approach the game. I consider it one of my best accomplishments, smash wise.
I have to say that ruleset has been my favorite so far in the community. Nice job

I realized you were being sarcastic, which is why I made the post I did.
Oh. <3

kupo15

Smash Hero

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I agree. This thread is a waste of time. Basically some old player comes back after a while and starts whining about the curren stagelist. There's a good reason why we've gotten rid of stages like RR and KJ. I feel like this discussion is merely a repetition of what has already been said over and over.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I think it's already been established that it's a clash of values that's occurring here--some people like to reward platforming and dodging obstacles in a fighting game, some don't.

Those who are in the former camp seem to think that there's a big enough group of tournament goers (as opposed to people who just post on Smashboards) who support their cause, but I really don't think this is the case. I have no problem with going back to Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar if it really is the case that the majority of tournament goers want it. I think the only issue now is determining whether or not that's true--and that's on the people who are pulling for a stageset change to do it.

D

Deleted member

If there is any hope for mankind... you will one day evolve and refrain from 'thugging' around life(and this forum) like a neanderthal.
i'm not sure where you got the impression that neanderthals are less refined than the average smashboards user.

i could easily cherry-pick quotes from this thread for a reasonable counterargument in favor of the average neanderthal.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer

Brinstar.... Rainbow Cruise...

*close tab*

:smirk:

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I agree. This thread is a waste of time. Basically some old player comes back after a while and starts whining about the curren stagelist. There's a good reason why we've gotten rid of stages like RR and KJ. I feel like this discussion is merely a repetition of what has already been said over and over.

Also, way back in the day, before I heard of l canceling or wavedashing or combos, even then, I knew rainbow cruise was a joke of a stage if you want some serious competition. When I found out people wanted to allow it in competitive smash I was baffled.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Also, way back in the day, before I heard of l canceling or wavedashing or combos, even then, I knew rainbow cruise was a joke of a stage if you want some serious competition. When I found out people wanted to allow it in competitive smash I was baffled.
Same. I went Final D/Battlefield only. B)

shanus

Smash Hero
The thing I've always hated about competitive smash was the complicated stage selection process. Counterpicking, banning,etcetc. We honestly need a better system - it's pretty absurd.

I agree with Cactuar though on basic principle. The list of available stages in competitive play should provide no definitive advantage to either player. Just because you lose a first round shouldn't give you the option to have advantage in round 2 from the stage alone. You should win if you are better, not because your stage is better. It's like trying to argue that pity smash balls in brawl should be allowed when you are losing.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
of course, but the goal should be to minimize that as much as possible.
And how do we please do that ?
By selecting stages that favors only top tiers, like we do now ?

I don't see how it is possible.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
And how do we please do that ?
By selecting stages that favors only top tiers, like we do now ?

I don't see how it is possible.
list some stages that don't favor top tiers over mid/bottom tiers

because I can't think of any

in the whole game

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
That wasn't my point.
Why answer a question by another question ?

It's been one week I'm lurking this topic and all I see is people countering other people with opinions used as facts.

"the goal [in melee] should be to minimize [stage influence] as much as possible"

"The stage list is not, and should not, be made to balance the roster" (page 10, check if u like)

This is what I call opinions, not facts.

What I see here is two different ways of thinking :

1) Competitive melee should include stage based skills. This means more skill based stages, less difference beetween top and mid, mid and low because of some stages giving a little more advantage for the mid/low tier in certain matchups.

2) Competitive melee should NOT include stage based skills, and be centered around character mastering vs character mastering. The stage list is good as it is, as these are commonly defined as the less infuent stages. Top tier, having better character based skills, have advantage in "neutral" stages.

The global ruleset will be defined by what people thinks of melee as a competitive game.

None is better, none has much sense than the other, they're both agreeable.

Now, to answer your question :

Large stages, like KJ64, or Rainbow cruise could give some advantage to spammers like Link/Y. Link in some matchups, and this is just an example.

I don't see what's new about that.

N64

Smash Champion
"should" isn't really used in factual statements anyways. People are going to have different opinions, but the two you initially listed are very common ones in this community.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
New sollution: only MetaKnight can't counter pick. :troll:

:phone:

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
imo pokemon stadium has a ton of "jank"ness to it. Could just be my falcon main bias, but I'd love to be able to select Brinstar or RC if I wanted to. But my state is full of nothing but space animals who won't even hear of it.

edit: that doesn't mean I dislike stadium, and to put it in perspective I listed stadium because so many people say maps like brinstar, cruise etc are so random and whatnot, but stadium is glitchy out the ***/heavily favors spacies imo/experience which isn't as much as I would like. I could also use grammar and punctuation but nah.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The winning player can run to the other side and force the losing player to continuously approach from above (which is insanely difficult against a lot of the cast). The Bullet Bills also force players to move, which means it will inevitably interrupt combos/tech chases. The buttons also cause an obnoxious amount of hitlag so that it messes up L-cancels and other timings if one happens to appear next to you.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Your all wrong. FD needs a ban as well as battlefield, Replace them with Big Blue, and Pokefloats.

Fountain of dreams has that annoying platforms that level differently... It ruins combo's. Lets Replace that with Flatzone. This place is much better and it's FLAT, it just like FD BUT BETTER. FLAT.

Dreamland... Oh God this needs to go... The damn tree... RUINS COMBOS. Lets go old school now. Bring back Princess Peaches Castle from the MLG days. The Bullet Bill Promotes sexy Combos finishers. Punish them.

Ban Yoshi Island Due to randal the cloud. Ruins combos all the time. Replace with Kongo Jungle. *srs bsns*

Pokemon Stadium has horrible Stage transformations. So... A good stage to replace this is Mute City.

This should happen the stages they picked out in competitive play are downright bad and has crutches that promote easy combos.

Top Bottom