• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have problem against Rob

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
I usualy like to think about what to do in matchup mysel but, i feel like i am too far away in this matchup and that I might need coaching. I thaught maybe if i am lucky could recieve decent advice from the snake board community. Its worth the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TR_Mo2HxU&feature=channel_page

This is me playing againt Holy. I had not play against rob in a long time, and from what i could remember i was already bad at the matchup. At the time those video were recorded, it was the first time i had play someone of his level. That fact by itself, also droped my skill level. So don't be surprised by how awfull compare to him i am in those vids

Since then I had the chance to play against him and his brother a few time, And i obviousy learned from that. They are quite incredible. But even then it seems I still get horribly destroyed by Holy.

Things i learned from watching these video is that i get bthrow quite often off the ledge at low %. I use to always cypher right away and then get gimp for that. I learn i should instead usualy jump toward the stage + air dodge, and maybe nair sometimes i think ? till that get punished.Not sure what direction i should Di the backthrow , up i think ?

One thing that is very akward or me is the fact his ftilt beats mine. I love my ftilt and am quite the spammer. Its the first fast attack that beats it so it put me even more off balance. I dont know how to aproch.

I also did fairly bad in our air to air fight. I am not sure what i should do there beside hold on to my cypher longer, have more horizontal movement and then pray he dosent read me

I was really bad at bloking the laser and gyro, i tried to get the timing down, but it dosent look that easy. And the fear of geting my grenade explode must make my camping game awfull

There is more small thing i realise i did bad but won't bother explaning. Now I am sure there is even more thing that i do that is bad, and it would be great if you guys could highlight me. Allright

etecoon

Smash Hero
One thing that is very akward or me is the fact his ftilt beats mine. I love my ftilt and am quite the spammer. Its the first fast attack that beats it so it put me even more off balance. I dont know how to aproch.
you can DACUS or dash attack through his gyro and hit him while he's still lagging sometimes(if you're close enough to dash attack I think this should always work), the second hit of ftilt does outrange his, if he overspaces an ftilt and misses you ftilt him immediately and at least the second hit should get him. if you can powershield close lasers and gyro's you can boost grab him, likewise you can shield or dodge his ftilt. his tilt range can make him tough to approach but most ROB's are going to want to camp you a lot which can leave them open if you powershield them

And the fear of geting my grenade explode must make my camping game awfull
his laser is slow to recharge, just be mindful of when he's just used it and you can get away with a good amount of nade use, likewise it takes a moment to come out and you can shield drop/pick up a nade fast enough a lot of times if he's doing something or not at a good angle to laser you.

watched the first game of your video and it brings to mind that another key to ROB is just not getting read in the air and having good habits, don't air dodge pro actively if he up B's at you, his nair is a killer and you can dodge it on reaction easily, and you need to be extra careful to DI anything that sends you off the edge upward and immediately cypher up high, and don't get predictable coming back, mix it up with B reversals, fast fall attacks and dodges, throwing nades or dropping a c4 or nikita...if you can get away from ROB and he chases you up you should get to the ground comfortably before him, turning the disadvantaged situation into an advantaged one, ROB is very weak from below, capitalize on this

and since this is about holy in particular you could always check out his snake problems <_<

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230893

Panix

Smash Ace
Dude it's holy and ally, it's no problem that they are beating you in games.

Here's what i relized when vrsing rob.
Rob likes when your off stage, he will fair you to doom for the %.
Rob lazers charge like every few seconds, he can easily lazer, gyro charge, lazer, gyro shot.
His bair hit all the way to his head, just likes snakes.
The ftilt is his (get out of my face and let me camp) move, expect it when your getting close to him.
When he's edguarding, recover high, fast fall+air dodge.

And on a side note, keep playing them until you feel comfertable that no other R.O.B or snake can beat you ;)

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Dude it's holy and ally, it's no problem that they are beating you in games.

Here's what i relized when vrsing rob.
Rob likes when your off stage, he will fair you to doom for the %.
Rob lazers charge like every few seconds, he can easily lazer, gyro charge, lazer, gyro shot.
His bair hit all the way to his head, just likes snakes.
The ftilt is his (get out of my face and let me camp) move, expect it when your getting close to him.
He also uses Dsmash in those situations. If you DI out it acts the same as ftilt, and if you don't, it sets up juggling oppurtunities.
When he's edguarding, recover high, fast fall+air dodge.
Well what if he uses a nair?

And on a side note, keep playing them until you feel comfertable that no other R.O.B or snake can beat you ;)
Comments in bold.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Well what if he uses a nair?
you can still air dodge it, just don't dodge early, wait for it. just need to get the timing down on that, don't get panicky and predict it when it isn't coming, it has a slow start up, that's why you get hit by it.

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
haha thanks for the link etecoon, it was a interesting read.

about the dodge nair on reaction thing, look interesting if i can pull it off. Not too sure on how easy it will be though i will look at animation.

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
so i played like 2 games against the problematic player again. and wow i think he could beat me using random.

But one more question i have. Sometime i am on the ground and i expect a faling nair from him. I am not sure if i can punish it yet if he space it well. But I have to try so i try to block the nair and it goes throught shield . I am not sure if its because i time shield wrong or something, maybe it would help if i angle it up ? maybe if i run toward him with the momentum i can punish out of shield. holy nair is too good

Panix

Smash Ace
so i played like 2 games against the problematic player again. and wow i think he could beat me using random.

But one more question i have. Sometime i am on the ground and i expect a faling nair from him. I am not sure if i can punish it yet if he space it well. But I have to try so i try to block the nair and it goes throught shield . I am not sure if its because i time shield wrong or something, maybe it would help if i angle it up ? maybe if i run toward him with the momentum i can punish out of shield. holy nair is too good
Run, shield, Run, shield, Run, shield.

Fatal does it the nicest, it's a good powershield tech IMO.

Top Bottom