• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have the most trouble with...

Brad Riffs

Smash Rookie
...is the **** shorthop! I don't know if it's just something I have to get used to, but on my controller no matter how light or fast I press X/Y, it rarely shortjumps. Is this maybe a controller problem or just something I just have to practice severely?

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
It's something you have to practice severely until it becomes second nature. You'll know you'll have mastered the short hop if you don't even need to think about doing it anymore.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
which character do you play? With some characters such as bowser you shouldn't have too much difficutly short hopping, but some characters like samus... ughh lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
which character do you play? With some characters such as bowser you shouldn't have too much difficutly short hopping, but some characters like samus... ughh lol
Or Kirby...

Or Fox..

ughhh....

Brad Riffs

Smash Rookie
Well...I just started playing this game yesterday, so I still really suck. I've been watching it on MLG VoD since it started and I've was into the fighter scene with CvS2 so I really wanted to take up this game. Anyways...my fav char so far has been Fox...I like the speed he gets as opposed to char's like Marth, whom with I am very bad.

It's just hard to think that people SHFFL so **** quick, when I can sometimes L Cancel and rarely short hop.

I'll just keep workin at it but thanks for the help.

Brad Riffs

Smash Rookie
Would you suggest practicing with an easier character to get the hang of it or just try and get it with Fox.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Would you suggest practicing with an easier character to get the hang of it or just try and get it with Fox.
I would never suggest a character to play. If you want to chose a certain character to use, then use that character. (Though if you're interested in playing Fox, I'd highly recommend you play as Fox)

Remember? Things just don't come onto people right away like advance skills. We have to learn them, get used to them, make some sacrifices, and practice. Your hands may feel wierd at first, but after blistering hours you'll get it. If not hours, days. Sitting down and playing on SSBM isn't training (Though it could be lol). What's training is getting your fingers fast and used to the button pressing. Until then, stride to learn, get help from others with experience, change your styles, write a 10 page essay (Hands get faster, WOW!!!), or what I do is, get a partner. You can learn skills alone, but learning skills with someone else who's around your level is better. It's like....smoking? You can do it alone but with the help and experience of people who are at your level, that can help you succeed with peers.

Is all this too intense? Take a break. Like me right now (Randomly coming back on Smash Boards lawl)

Brad Riffs

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips man, I really appreciate it.

The keyboard player in my band is a bit better than I am, but he doesn't know the advanced skills, so we plan on kinda goin at it and gettin better and better.

I know it's gonna take some time, I don't mind that.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
just practice.
you'll get it, I promise.

try flicking your fingernail off the edge of the button.

If you master Fox's short hop, you'll find that you can do any other characters short hop.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Fox is probably one of the toughiest to short hop with. Keep practicing and you'll get it.
hehe, he's who I used first, figured I might aswell find a technique thats a light enough touch to work for all the characters.

I actually have a HUGE friggin' callous on the right side of my right thumb from shorthopping with fox over the years, no joke.

MEGA EDIT :

I saw the words band, and keyboard player. I happen to partake in both those things (in a band, play keyboards)

Any links to some songs from your band??? :) Myspace, anything? heres mine if you're curious

www.myspace.com/sacrifycia

annnd

www.purevolume.com/dylanburnett for keyboardness solo stuff

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
quick tip that helped me master this technique a lot sooner,
as soon as you press X or Y, immediately think about letting go
making letting go as much a part of pressing the button
hope that helped

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
ya its not how fast u press it, its about how fast u let go. I keep my finger on the button all the time when i m jumping i just barely press and let go fast i used to do it with the control stick bc i switched..i dunno some people find it easier to do it tat way.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
If you have trouble shorthopping with fox, thats probably because he is one of the hardest to do it with. If you practice long enough however, you can achieve it. Another way to do master it is to start with someone easy (falco, bowser) and move to people of medium difficulty (marth, mario) then move to the harder stuff (fox, sheik, samus) I can shorthop profeciently with everyone and I used the 2nd method, but whatever works for you.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Slide your thumb off the corner of the x button. Thats how I still shorthop to this day.

Anyone here find regular jumping harder to do than shorthoppin? I do. I cant, no matter how hard I try, fulljump out of my shine with falco, I always sh.

Which is fine though, I can pillar perfectly and for combos I just waveshine and chase him.

Top Bottom