• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I keep getting grabbed out of my fair

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Anyway to avoid this? I notice it doesnt happen as often to the pros. It seems like they are only hitting with the tip of fairs outside of enemy grab range. but im finding it hard to judge this when im approaching with fair.

any tips to using fair better so i dont get shield grabbed as often?

thanks!

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Fair with the cstick so you can pull yourself back. Know the other character's grab range.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Ya don't jump forward with it. Try to move closer and then jump backwards/on the spot with it. I think if you are moving forward there is not much you can do if they shield it.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
what about if im fighting someone with tether grab? if i move closer then retreating fair and they block it. can they still get me?

SAUS

Smash Ace
Tether grabs cannot hit you while you are in the air (except at melee range like other characters). You can easily land and then jump again before it can get you.

Poop1nat0r

Smash Rookie
I saw a youtube video up somewhere of a Marth tutorial made by Ken. From what I remember, to avoid a grab when approaching with Fair is to L-cancel quickly and dash out a grab, F-smash, etc.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
yeah i seen this. but it seems like it only works when i fair really close to them. im kind of fixing this now with just always doing short hop double fairs instead when approaching. that seems to give me enuf time to do the dash or just down tilt them away.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
O hey another related question. Say i'm trying the dash method. if I fair -> L cancel -> Dash

would it be faster/safer to L cancel Fair -> wave dash instead?

which would be safer to run away from throws and what not after a fair. wavedash/regular dash?

SAUS

Smash Ace
O hey another related question. Say i'm trying the dash method. if I fair -> L cancel -> Dash

would it be faster/safer to L cancel Fair -> wave dash instead?

which would be safer to run away from throws and what not after a fair. wavedash/regular dash?
I'm not 100% sure, but I would say regular dash. This is because marth ducks lower during his dash animation than during his wavedash animation allowing him to evade grabs better. Dash also starts up more quickly. With wavedashing, you jump, and before you leave the ground, there is some amount of frames that it takes to get off of the ground (not sure on how many frames this is for marth). This is why wavedashing is a different speed for other characters. Basically, it is very fast once you do the actual wavedash, but until it actually starts, you are left in your opponents face for longer, and I believe this leaves you more vulnerable than just dash away/past them.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
A tip Tai gave me is to always hold the control stick away from your opponent once you input the fair, even if you're short-hopping toward them. The air-steer is pretty significant. It should make it much harder for people to shield-grab you. That said, approaching with any aerial as Marth is risky. The arc of his sword that covers so many directions has the downside that his swings take longer. It's safer to grab or use dtilts.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Just so you know, the Ken trick with the close range fair is not really safe. People can react out of it.

Vino

Smash Cadet
Dashdancing for marth is far better than wavedashing.

And almost never should you be approaching with fair. Maybe oos vs. ganon and samus are the only situations I can think of.

Also you're probably doing an early fair, try doing late fairs and the jab/d-tilt/dash.

Top Bottom