• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I miss Melee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
Cooliessssssssssssssss I guess i will see new faces with brawl since all the old faces like melee instead O.OY p€ACE! have fun with melee :chuckle:

(DSF)

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
wow, everyone just ignored my post completely... please read this??

hey everyone in SoCal maybe we should try out heavy gravity mode in brawl? Maybe itd be better to make it competive. Read the first post of this thread

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158712

Everyone should mess around with this for a while see how it plays and they like it, it sounds loads better than regular brawl (lower percent kills, combos, not as floaty, more punishment for camping, etc etc)

Maybe itll make brawl more competive :)

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Uh well everyones saying how they hate Brawl and heavy gravity mode in options seems to make it better and more like melee so I thought people might want to try it out

I miss Melee but Brawl is the new game and is going to be around wether we like it not. Maybe heavy gravity should be the competive standard to make it better. So I was just suggesting it to make it better to play

The King

Smash Ace
Man, it's a good thing that so many people are actually giving Brawl a chance to grow and evolve.

And by giving it a chance, I mean: actually learning and studying the game, how to improve the speed, mobility, execution and combos their respective characters, and how to punish different offensive/defensive playstyles. Sadly, instead everyone has been "playing to win" from day 1 ( and with the only tactic people instinctually know how to use from the beginning when they suck at a game --- camping, in fear and timidity, as far away from their opponent as possible) without spending any time at all analyzing brawl and working on their game.

Also, I don't know where the hell are these random absolute generalities are coming from:
"Combos don't exist"
"Edgeguards are impossible"
"It's nothing but campy hit & run tactics everywhere"
"There's zero depth to this game"
"Gimp kills are a thing of the past"
"This game requires no spacing, mindgames or skill to succeed at it"

But they're ****ing everywhere right now. And whether you're the person saying them or just agreeing with them in stride...well, as far as trying to learn a brand new game, way to just give in, keel over and ****ing die. I don't know what scrubtacular game the rest of you are limiting yourselves to, but the people I play with see and experience Brawl in a completely different light than all this. It just "might" have something to do with us collaborating with each other, and experimenting with all the different aspects of this game.

Melee is a better game than Brawl? I don't know which avenue of logic i should probe first to find out how anyone has come to this conclusion after only 2 god**** months.

Is it because people are angry that not every single solitary tactic survived the transition between melee and brawl? Last I checked, a lot of SSB's physics engine didn't survive the switch either. That's because it iddn't NEED to for the next game to be competitive. So many people I've seen are trying to keep the same pace and flow of movement & attack that they utilized in melee, to be successful in Brawl. It just isn't going to happen; you need to adapt your pace slightly to compensate for the new physics, and realize that huge combos are still possible - they just require different transitions now, and aren't quite so automatic as in Melee. And as far as gimp kills go... I don't see how being able to remove entire stocks with just a few button inputs because your opponent literally had no other option of escape available to him, or being able to mindlessly destroy an opponent's recovery simply by pressing L/R and utilizing over a full SECOND of invincibility frames to hold a ledge while you aren't even on it anymore, qualifies as positive qualities for a game.

I'll also repeat the statement said by many, and fallen on so many more deaf ears, that this game has been out for 2 MONTHS. Most of which have been spent with players doing nothing to advance the metagame more than just camping one side of a stage. Melee has been out for what? 7 (SEVEN) YEARS. About 88 MONTHS now. It's just unbelievable that anybody would hold a grudge against Brawl for not appearing as deep as Melee. If anyone is reading this who actually doesn't suck balls at Melee, do you remember what it took to be amazing at melee, or what it took for the game to evolve as amazing as it did? It took an entire community dedicated to dissecting every minute aspect of the game YEARS to get Melee to its pinnacle.

From all I've seen, Brawl has every bit as much potential as Melee to be a terrific competitive game. This game has the combos, the speed, the pressure game, and the evasive maneuverability options to make it one hell of a show. But it isn't going to get there any time soon if people either don't try to study this game and learn how to play it effectively. It also isn't going to get there if people just ****ing give up on it because they're garbage at it when they've only had it a month, and wait to play it until the rest of the Brawl community puts forth the time and effort into evolving this game into something extraordinary. With a mindset like that, SSBM would still be nothing more than just another Mario Party game.

King Out

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
Man, it's a good thing that so many people are actually giving Brawl a chance to grow and evolve.

And by giving it a chance, I mean: actually learning and studying the game, how to improve the speed, mobility, execution and combos their respective characters, and how to punish different offensive/defensive playstyles. Sadly, instead everyone has been "playing to win" from day 1 ( and with the only tactic people instinctually know how to use from the beginning when they suck at a game --- camping, in fear and timidity, as far away from their opponent as possible) without spending any time at all analyzing brawl and working on their game.

Also, I don't know where the hell are these random absolute generalities are coming from:
"Combos don't exist"
"Edgeguards are impossible"
"It's nothing but campy hit & run tactics everywhere"
"There's zero depth to this game"
"Gimp kills are a thing of the past"
"This game requires no spacing, mindgames or skill to succeed at it"

But they're ****ing everywhere right now. And whether you're the person saying them or just agreeing with them in stride...well, as far as trying to learn a brand new game, way to just give in, keel over and ****ing die. I don't know what scrubtacular game the rest of you are limiting yourselves to, but the people I play with see and experience Brawl in a completely different light than all this. It just "might" have something to do with us collaborating with each other, and experimenting with all the different aspects of this game.

Melee is a better game than Brawl? I don't know which avenue of logic i should probe first to find out how anyone has come to this conclusion after only 2 god**** months.

Is it because people are angry that not every single solitary tactic survived the transition between melee and brawl? Last I checked, a lot of SSB's physics engine didn't survive the switch either. That's because it iddn't NEED to for the next game to be competitive. So many people I've seen are trying to keep the same pace and flow of movement & attack that they utilized in melee, to be successful in Brawl. It just isn't going to happen; you need to adapt your pace slightly to compensate for the new physics, and realize that huge combos are still possible - they just require different transitions now, and aren't quite so automatic as in Melee. And as far as gimp kills go... I don't see how being able to remove entire stocks with just a few button inputs because your opponent literally had no other option of escape available to him, or being able to mindlessly destroy an opponent's recovery simply by pressing L/R and utilizing over a full SECOND of invincibility frames to hold a ledge while you aren't even on it anymore, qualifies as positive qualities for a game.

I'll also repeat the statement said by many, and fallen on so many more deaf ears, that this game has been out for 2 MONTHS. Most of which have been spent with players doing nothing to advance the metagame more than just camping one side of a stage. Melee has been out for what? 7 (SEVEN) YEARS. About 88 MONTHS now. It's just unbelievable that anybody would hold a grudge against Brawl for not appearing as deep as Melee. If anyone is reading this who actually doesn't suck balls at Melee, do you remember what it took to be amazing at melee, or what it took for the game to evolve as amazing as it did? It took an entire community dedicated to dissecting every minute aspect of the game YEARS to get Melee to its pinnacle.

From all I've seen, Brawl has every bit as much potential as Melee to be a terrific competitive game. This game has the combos, the speed, the pressure game, and the evasive maneuverability options to make it one hell of a show. But it isn't going to get there any time soon if people either don't try to study this game and learn how to play it effectively. It also isn't going to get there if people just ****ing give up on it because they're garbage at it when they've only had it a month, and wait to play it until the rest of the Brawl community puts forth the time and effort into evolving this game into something extraordinary. With a mindset like that, SSBM would still be nothing more than just another Mario Party game.

King Out
Such strong feelings.. I'm okay w/ brawl, I do have the best PT in SoCal.

Wonder what P has to say about this lol

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
(to brawl)
Hello there
The stink-hole from my nightmare
Your gameplay and your camping make me mourn
The unsophisticated Pikmin
In Shadow Moses Island
You can play as Snake and camp me
If you want
And you will alway spam me
We'll have free for alls with items
And when we're bored we'll wish we'd played Melee
We'll wish we'd play Melee

I miss you, I miss you...

(to Melee)
Where are you?!
And I'm so sorry!
I cannot sleep, I cannot dream tonight!
I need some battle and always
This sick, strange, madness
Brawl noobs on smashboards, they're haunting every thread!
And as I post they flame me
As if they know what smash is
Yelling things, like "give it some more time"
And indecision to play you
And feel your speed and breathe it
Won't you come back and stop this pain tonight?!
STOP this pain tonight!

Don't waste your time on me
You're already a smasher's greatest dream...

I miss you, I miss you

Don't waste your time on me
You're already a smasher's greatest dream...

I miss you, I miss you
Wow, this proves I have no life. This post almost made me cry.

araknophobik

Smash Master
I don't know what scrubtacular game the rest of you are limiting yourselves to, but the people I play with see and experience Brawl in a completely different light than all this. It just "might" have something to do with us collaborating with each other, and experimenting with all the different aspects of this game.
you need to adapt your pace slightly to compensate for the new physics, and realize that huge combos are still possible - they just require different transitions now, and aren't quite so automatic as in Melee.

King Out
videos or it didn't happen

Vincent Vega

Smash Journeyman
Lol I don't know if you were being sarcastic or serious about those videos. I sat through about as long as I could stand of a match with the KOF guy, and there were no combos lol. Just forward b camping. :p

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
If you watch more than 1 match, youd see. But I forgot how useless it was to argue w/ a diehard melee fan.

Go King.
King said huge combos and most people have yet to see them. As cool as KOF's ZSS is, the biggest combo I've seen from him is dsmash until opponent jumps out of the stun and then a simple usmash to chase the jump.

But then I've heard King can do some ridiculous things from sidefx and zelgadis, so I honestly would like to see vids.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I was at a brawl tourney yesterday over a FFA. I wasn't exactly excited or looking forward to the tourney at all. I just went to hang out and to play the arcades :chuckle:

Anyway, while I was at the tourney, I talked to a few good smashers and listened to their thoughts on Brawl. I mainly talked with Alex and Forward. Afterwards I realized that I was an idiot...

Alex - He doesn't think Brawl sucks at all. He told me that it's no different from Melee when it started out. He also told me that when it comes down to it, there are the originators and everyone else who follows after. The originators are those who figure the game out and the followers are those who wait and see what happens simply because they are too close-minded to notice potential when they see it.

Forward - (after I tell him that I think Brawl has no potential) "No Potential?!? Brawl has too much potential."

And now, King goes ahead and makes a great post like the one he did. I mean, these smashers aren't just any smashers that were talking about. And it seems many of them share a common view. Almost everything King said, I have to agree with.

What I'm getting at is, we shouldn't simply reject Brawl they way we are. It is a new game and there are many things to be found out if people think outside of the box. I still play Brawl and I have found many different trixies with certain characters. It just takes time and patience.

Do I think Brawl is boring? Yes I kinda do. Why? Because the game is not too developed yet.
But nevertheless, I still play the game in order to learn new things and because I know this game is going to reach a high level of competitive play. I don't want to be left behind the way I was in Melee.

So in the end, I just think we should consider what King has told us. Let's stop trash talking Brawl and comparing it to Melee. In a sense, they're different games. Let's give it time people... I know it may seem boring now but I also know that that won't be the case in the future.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*sigh*

I'll admit it... Brawl doesn't have the same edge (and I'm sure it never will) as Melee and after playing for an hour or so yesterday, I realized that Brawl is kinda... boring.

I know the game just came out and all and new things can be discovered but it will never reach the technical status Melee was able to achieve. That much, I know everyone can agree on.

And honestly, I think it was because of that technicality in Melee that I'm not fond of Brawl much anymore (and I used Peach in Melee lol). Whatever, it doesn't matter much anymore. I knew deep down inside I really did like Melee much much more. I just never wanted to admit it because I had high hopes for Brawl. It sucks how reality crushes your hopes in a second.

Now I'm just lost. I don't really want to go to any Brawl tourneys but apparently, that's the only way to hang out with people.

There you go. I said it. Haze, P, Romeo and everyone else who thought I was a delusional idiot, you guys win.

My final question is... Is Melee really dead??? Is this really the end?

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
I miss Melee. I don't understand Melee OR Brawl as much as King and Forward probably do, but I just can't see how there is any potential to make it more suitable as a competitive game. Yes, maybe I wanted Melee 2.0 and I'm too used to it and all that other **** you people say, but I still don't see it. The game hardly requires skill. =(

This probably seems like I'm stating my opinion as fact, but debate is just as hard to do against anti-Melee people as it is against die hard Melee fans.

I wish people would stop with the "It's not Melee 2.0, it's a different game." You idiots act like they're both not ****ing Smash Bros. games. They're different games, but from the same ****ING series.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I just can't see how there is any potential to make it more suitable as a competitive game. Yes, maybe I wanted Melee 2.0 and I'm too used to it and all that other **** you people say, but I still don't see it. The game hardly requires skill. =(
So you really think we've explored EVERY tactic with EVERY character and we know ALL there is to know about Brawl? We don't even know that much about MELEE which has been out for 6+ years. Brawl has been out, for most of us, for not even one month. When you say it has no potential, you're saying we've fully developed the metagame. What an ignorant thing to say. Brawl doesn't require skill? You don't even know what 'skill' is. Are you seriously that nearsighted?

This probably seems like I'm stating my opinion as fact, but debate is just as hard to do against anti-Melee people as it is against die hard Melee fans.
Who says we're anti-Melee? Who even says we're pro-Brawl? We're anti-writing-sh
it-off-after-only-playing-it-for-a-couple-weeks.

I wish people would stop with the "It's not Melee 2.0, it's a different game." You idiots act like they're both not ****ing Smash Bros. games. They're different games, but from the same ****ING series.
So? What law states that the next game in the series has to resemble the previous one as much as possible? You're just seeing a label on a game and making assumptions about it. Just look at it for what it ACTUALLY IS and not what word is on the disc's label.

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
First of, thatnks for quoting my post and... saying ****. Seriously, no sarcasm... it made me smile... for some reason... o_O

So you really think we've explored EVERY tactic with EVERY character and we know ALL there is to know about Brawl? We don't even know that much about MELEE which has been out for 6+ years. Brawl has been out, for most of us, for not even one month. When you say it has no potential, you're saying we've fully developed the metagame. What an ignorant thing to say. Brawl doesn't require skill? You don't even know what 'skill' is. Are you seriously that nearsighted?

Yeah, I agree with you. But, at least with me, I felt so restricted the first time I played Brawl, and it felt that was really nothing that would make it any better as a competitive game. I'm speaking from personal experience, not in general. As for the skill thing, I meant at the current standpoint, it takes almost no skill... other than camping skill. Lucas' PK Fire owns me. Again, personal experience.

EDIT: And I am extremely visually nearsighted. My lenses are THICK. So maybe if nearsighted in one field, nearsighted in ALL fields. =/

Who says we're anti-Melee? Who even says we're pro-Brawl? We're anti-writing-sh
it-off-after-only-playing-it-for-a-couple-weeks.

Wtf @ this one? This wasn't even directly at anyone. I was just talking about the anti-Melee people who were eventually gonna see this post. I didn't mean the people in this thread that were defending Brawl, I meant ACTUAL anti-Melee people. =/ You jumping the gun to defend yourself... makes you seem anti-Melee. J/k.

So? What law states that the next game in the series has to resemble the previous one as much as possible? You're just seeing a label on a game and making assumptions about it. Just look at it for what it ACTUALLY IS and not what word is on the disc's label.

No, no, no. I was referring to the fact every single time someone compares anything in Melee to Brawl and says said comparison is in Melee, there's almost two pages of posts that follows saying "It's not Melee 2.0. It's a different game." They're both Smash Bros. games, though. Comparisons can be made, it's freaking expected. Is there a law that states games of the same series can't be compared because they don't play similarly even though they were... kinda expected to? It's not like we're comparing Halo to Street Fighter. We're comparing Smash Bros. 2 to Smash Bros. 3. You don't see people posting "Brawl's a newer game" everytime someone brings up a aspect that's better in Brawl than in Melee.
I'm glad you quoted me though, I got a chance to clear **** up. I was gonna post a big wall of text in response to King, but I decided not to out of laziness, then posted this half a s s'd post instead. I'm glad I didn't though, I woulda gotten chewed up.. kinda like I just did. =/

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
So? What law states that the next game in the series has to resemble the previous one as much as possible?
The law of making good games, actually.

Very few all-time (9+ from your average reviewer, let's say) great games have a great sequel to it that strayed far from the original and yet was as good as the original.

And since 3D gaming has begun, it's that much harder.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The law of making good games, actually.

Very few all-time (9+ from your average reviewer, let's say) great games have a great sequel to it that strayed far from the original and yet was as good as the original.

And since 3D gaming has begun, it's that much harder.
So it's not so much a law as an observation or conjecture. I mean, you wouldn't necessarily criticize Brawl simply because "it's not Melee" anymore than you'd criticize (insert band here) for not being Led Zeppelin.

I'd point you directly to the Mario games, or Final Fantasy for examples of successful series whose games generally differ from one another by a good degree.

To Stuhddabahkz:

I'm sure that basically everyone who played Brawl the FIRST time had some feeling of not knowing what they were doing. That's part of playing a new game. If you find that distasteful, maybe playing new games and building strats from the ground up just isn't for you. I personally am glad it's not exactly like Melee because I believe no good game should require a huge amount of technical skill to be good at.

And I don't think anyone is actually ANTI-MELEE. I think you're using that as a misnomer for "pro-Brawl" people, though I'd hesitate to even call them that. Most people are just saying that it's premature to make ultimate conclusions and judgments about the game.

As far as your "Melee 2.0" point, I never said you couldn't compare the two. The point that people are making when they go "NOT MELEE 2.0 BLAH BLAH" is that if you compare the two for the purposes of criticism, there's the tacit assumption that you wanted Brawl to be just like Melee (in whichever respect you're criticizing Brawl for) to begin with, which not everyone agrees with.

---

If you guys honestly wanted Melee with more characters, that's perfectly fine, and nobody can tell you you're stupid for wanting that; just own up to it, there is no shame in it. I'm sure there were as many expectations about Brawl as there are posters on this forum. Nobody is here to tell anyone that they have to like Brawl. It's just naive to say the final word on Brawl is out. It won't be for many months yet. I know all you kids are used to getting what you want RIGHT NOW and getting the convenient and timely conclusion at the hour's end of whatever Idol/contest/reality show you watch, but it's not gonna work that way here.

Chill, and take another look at it besides just comparing it to our naive expectations, and maybe you'll enjoy it. If you don't, fine. I don't really care how much most of you like or dislike it to be honest, I'm just here to point out poor arguments.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I heard a rumor that DBR/Isai figured out this amazing new technique that lets them own.

I also heard a rumor that I might have just made this up just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom