• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I miss Melee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Well hello guys. Commenting on Mike HAZE's intial argument (seems like the last few pages just went off topic :p)

Hey, at least you had your fun with Melee. I.... missed out on all of it. Don't get me wrong, I started playing Melee as soon as it came out for the GC. I just didn't know about any ATs for the first three-four years because, well I just played it with a close group of friends. But man we played the game every single weekend like a religion. Great fun. However my friends started moving on to new games and I was forced to follow.

A few years went by without any Melee action. I go to college (UCSD woop de doo). Started watching those Ken and PC vids and realize "ZOMFG what are these cool things that these people are doing?" I drag out a very old GC and start playing with a friend of mine. Plays casually and masters the wave dash. "Wow this opens a huge window on a lot more things to do. Now what is this SHFFL that everyone is talking about?" And I was hooked, like no other. Every weekend. Friend's apartment. Great matches till the wee hours of the morning.

"Hey I'm getting somewhat decent (as much of a no tourney exp noob would get). What? Smashboards? Tournies? whoa!"
Then Brawl comes out a few weeks later... and I was **cked over. And I still lament over this.

People say Brawl should be given time. But why would I go back to a game where the initial impression was so bad? I loved Melee from the very moment I started playing it (without the ATs) and I loved it even more after the ATs. What Brawl supporters are saying is that you should date some girl you really don't like hoping to find something good about her. Just because some ATs get discovered in Brawl won't change the fact that it's slower, has a lot less combos (f'in hitstun I swear), and auto sweet spotting.

So yeah um ignore the starving kids in Africa. Help a noob out. Tell me how to navigate this sea of tourny threads to find me a Melee tourney (gawd I'm such a forum noob). Or better yet, I would enjoy friendlies. Anyone from the San Diego or Torrance area?

Awesome mindset. Keep it up, the smash community needs more people like you. Keep playing and keep entering tournies. Melee will never die.

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. I'm the same way. I didn't get into any Smash until my join date, and I don't feel in the least that I'm ready for Melee to go away.

I want to do Friday night friendlies. Tourneys are cool, but in the end it's usually 9 hours of sweating and 20 minutes of gameplay (I guess I'd get more if I won more often :). But I'm starting to make inquiries with recreation centers, etc., and I'll make a thread if there's somewhere that lets me use their floorspace and electricity.

Melee forever.

debaser

Smash Lord
Well hello guys. Commenting on Mike HAZE's intial argument (seems like the last few pages just went off topic :p)

Hey, at least you had your fun with Melee. I.... missed out on all of it. Don't get me wrong, I started playing Melee as soon as it came out for the GC. I just didn't know about any ATs for the first three-four years because, well I just played it with a close group of friends. But man we played the game every single weekend like a religion. Great fun. However my friends started moving on to new games and I was forced to follow.

A few years went by without any Melee action. I go to college (UCSD woop de doo). Started watching those Ken and PC vids and realize "ZOMFG what are these cool things that these people are doing?" I drag out a very old GC and start playing with a friend of mine. Plays casually and masters the wave dash. "Wow this opens a huge window on a lot more things to do. Now what is this SHFFL that everyone is talking about?" And I was hooked, like no other. Every weekend. Friend's apartment. Great matches till the wee hours of the morning.

"Hey I'm getting somewhat decent (as much of a no tourney exp noob would get). What? Smashboards? Tournies? whoa!"
Then Brawl comes out a few weeks later... and I was **cked over. And I still lament over this.

People say Brawl should be given time. But why would I go back to a game where the initial impression was so bad? I loved Melee from the very moment I started playing it (without the ATs) and I loved it even more after the ATs. What Brawl supporters are saying is that you should date some girl you really don't like hoping to find something good about her. Just because some ATs get discovered in Brawl won't change the fact that it's slower, has a lot less combos (f'in hitstun I swear), and auto sweet spotting.

So yeah um ignore the starving kids in Africa. Help a noob out. Tell me how to navigate this sea of tourny threads to find me a Melee tourney (gawd I'm such a forum noob). Or better yet, I would enjoy friendlies. Anyone from the San Diego or Torrance area?
yeah pretty much on this exact boat. I am realizing the full potential of this game and when going to tournies was becoming a possibility, brawl releases. I hope to god melee comes back

Shmooguy

Smash Champion

I couldn't agree more. These are like my thoughts exactly. Everyone is saying, "The same thing happened when Melee first came out," but that's not the case at all. Melee was an upgrade in every way, even before I figured out the advanced techniques and then before I went to my first tourney.

Also come to the Pomona tourney, it's this weekend (4/12).

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121129

It's Melee only ^^

araknophobik

Smash Master
no ****. ive always wanted to team with haze and see how'd it turn out. it'd be **** if i deny'd it. then haze called me during the office.
interupting the office=sin

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Then it's your fault for not finding other things that are good -- there is a lot of good television, believe it or not. It doesn't raise the value of a show just because you have nothing else good to even compare it to.

Curb Your Enthusiasm, for example, is a show that ***** The Office.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yeah, I sound like I'm repeating a lot of other people in this thread, but Melee is just better.

When I first saw Melee after playing 64, it was better in every way than 64. My friend, who does not play Smash competitively at all was able to tell that Brawl was slower. Even my friend's girlfriend saw it and noticed it was slower. Both of these people don't have trained eyes for smash, and yet it's still so obvious how much worse this game is.

debaser

Smash Lord
And Arrested Development is a show that thrusts its **** between Curb Your Enthusiasm's ******* until it comes

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
kouryuu, he was at 124%, that's not a gimp.
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to show Inks that it was possible.

Note that all the "gimps" pulled off by King can be done against opponents with very low percents. I've done it before with Marth and it is very much possible with other good handful of characters I know of.

For example: Wario. Wario can gimp many characters and make it impossible for them to even get near the edge(he can even gimp Marth apparently :(). Metaknight is another example.

But as Inks said, it's not as effective as it was in Melee but it's still there. Just thought I should let people know.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I gimped a Snake, a Metaknight multiple times today. In tournament... I spiked them both in sep matches. I had 150% and metaknight had 20% and i spiked him and won the match. =P It's not like its hard to pull off, the spike lasts awhile so if I predict right, it's reasonable to land it. About equally as common as Marth's spike in Melee.

Anyone who says gips don't exist in brawl, play me. You'll get gimped at least once a match, somehow. Spike, PK Thunder, PK thunder tail to take away your jump. Lots of ways =P

I also got Zelda spiked, so that was one gimp on me. Well I got gimped lots of times losing PK thunder ,but I won't even count those. The Zelda spike works pretty well. It's because you can't meteor cancel.\

Also, I killed twice a match with my grab. Which are supposesedly useless in Brawl. My grabs also had guaranteed hits when I used them.

aznforce817

Smash Lord
I gimped a Snake, a Metaknight multiple times today. In tournament... I spiked them both in sep matches. I had 150% and metaknight had 20% and i spiked him and won the match. =P It's not like its hard to pull off, the spike lasts awhile so if I predict right, it's reasonable to land it. About equally as common as Marth's spike in Melee.

Anyone who says gips don't exist in brawl, play me. You'll get gimped at least once a match, somehow. Spike, PK Thunder, PK thunder tail to take away your jump. Lots of ways =P

I also got Zelda spiked, so that was one gimp on me. Well I got gimped lots of times losing PK thunder ,but I won't even count those. The Zelda spike works pretty well. It's because you can't meteor cancel.\

Also, I killed twice a match with my grab. Which are supposesedly useless in Brawl. My grabs also had guaranteed hits when I used them.
Edrees ness's backthrow is still too good. My friend uses it on me. GRRRR:mad: lol

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Snake is so ****ing Broken...

Just wanted to throw that out there. Like Mango said, all Snake mains deserve no respect... except for PsycoMidget. He's a cool Snake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom