• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I miss Melee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Nothing's wrong with Melee, it's not like Melee tournaments are going to disappear just because Brawl exists. Obviously now that Brawl is out, many people make the natural transition to the new game. That doesn't render Melee obsolete....I can see a surge of Melee tournaments coming back up in the next several months being a possibility.

What I do have a problem with is everyone who still likes Melee trying to make me feel like an idiot for liking Brawl better. I know that combos are so much greater in Melee and, oh wow, no tripping and such. But come on already, I don't tell you that Melee sucks compared to Brawl, don't try to make me feel like I should think the other way around.

On that note, look at it this way: Street Fighter 2 is still just as popular in tournaments as Street Fighter 3 is...if I've said it once this post, I'll say it once more: Sequels do not make prequels obsolete. If people want Melee to stay alive in the competitive scene, then it's time for people to start holding more Melee tournaments themselves instead of waiting for someone else to do it. Or, do what some other people are doing, and hold joint Melee/Brawl tournaments...appease both sides of the equation.

As for my good times in the Melee community, I can sum up pretty much my entire Melee career with one phrase.

"I was at work when it happened."

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Melee doesn't suck compared to Brawl, why would you play a game that has less depth and is therefore worse as a competitive fighter?

The colors, taunts, and character intros are amazing in Brawl.

EDIT: And the music!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Brawl is faster than Melee with more combos, plus my throws actually do something in Brawl.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
brawl really isnt that bad.

melee was good but after i played again i was pretty much over it. i might go to some melee tournaments for funs till.

but theres no reason to hate brawl just because you like melee. some of your guys posts are just getting annoying.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283

melee was good but after i played again i was pretty much over it. i might go to some melee tournaments for funs till.

but theres no reason to hate brawl just because you like melee. some of your guys posts are just getting annoying.
Agree.

If I play Melee again I'm just going to play my bad characters (Falco) and make fun of people when I win with them. Doing the same combo I've done 7390847 times before is less fun than trying to invent new things at this point. I hear about new discoveries in Brawl almost every day.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord

Thirded. Try this combo out. BRAWL Falco D-throw CG (Dthrow Dash-grab forward) into dash att cancelled Usmash. It looks amazingly cool.

Sheridans Melee Falco = #1 in NorCal.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
It's funny because most people's retorts to the lol Brawl sucks crowd simply shows their own lack of ambition towards Melee, not a deficiency in the game itself. The game is much more about "doing the same combo" over, with mindgames and depth Brawl can't hope to approach. Depth > "discovery"

This brawl v melee stuff is beyond stupid, I just always have and will continue to ignore everything brawl and be quite content with melee. brawl should do the same and stfu

Shmooguy

Smash Champion

That's 'cuz you play Luigi. Falco/Marth/Fox/Falcon are way more fun. Any character where you have to wavedash too much is boring (ICs, Sheik, Luigi, Mewtwo). Yup, all those characters are boring. Dash dancing = win.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
Now that all the noobs went to brawl tourneys melee tourneys are alot more fun because everyone there is people i no so its like a big hangout

FUN!!!

melee tourneys with 25 people > brawl tourneys with 60 people

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
That's 'cuz you play Luigi. Falco/Marth/Fox/Falcon are way more fun. Any character where you have to wavedash too much is boring (ICs, Sheik, Luigi, Mewtwo). Yup, all those characters are boring. Dash dancing = win.
lol i actually never played luigi at home with the guys.

all i did play was falco/marth/fox/falcon. and im fairly confident i could of beaten you with all of them back in the day. gimme me a few hours and i could still probly do it.

plus my luigi was not slow and boring. it ***** face. and was a lot more aggressive and technical than any of the campy sheiks, or foxes that i saw you, p, mike haze and all the other people crying about brawl playing.

what i just said might sting a little. but i think its the truth. and i sitll love you kira pro. but im sorry you just made me ROFL with what you said. because i had a lot of fun with melee. and its the best video game that i have ever played. but brawl is fun and its new. and i just feel like playing it. there are new things to get good at in this game. and i have been succesfull so far without my game including camping.

im just tired of people saying "you played luigi" or "edrees played peach"

because im pretty sure mango played the best jiggs ever....and he still doesnt like brawl

MaNg0

Smash Hero
exactly =D

"Wow I got bored of melee after 3 hours and I got bored of Brawl after 3 matches"

LuCKy

ROFL get ***** brawl

and yup my puff is pretty ****

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
=

plus my luigi was not slow and boring. it ***** face. and was a lot more aggressive and technical than any of the campy sheiks, or foxes that i saw you, p, mike haze and all the other people crying about brawl playing.=
at what point did we even mention technical skill? i'm pretty sure P, Kira, and I are the most untechnical in socal.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
well what it means is combo's....and gimping.....and all the other stuff that brawl is supposedly lacking and that i will be missing.

and yes mango it took me a while to enjoy brawl. but it also took me 4-5 years to see the light for melee. and you didnt start playing melee until like last week lol. so i think you should understand how long it may take games to evolve.

killer tofu

Smash Lord
I liked melee the first time i played it. No advanced stuff at all.
Items on all stages and it was still awesome.
Can't say the same for brawl.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
and yes mango it took me a while to enjoy brawl. but it also took me 4-5 years to see the light for melee. and you didnt start playing melee until like last week lol.
That was pretty funny LOL

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, I love Melee and I still like Brawl. Similar to the reasons ROFL gave, I like Brawl because Brawl is NEW with new things to learn and new things to be good at. That's my reason in a nutshell. Others might have their reasons for moving on but that's mine.

But all the trash talk towards Melee and Brawl should seriously stop. I mean, for those of you who hate Melee (wtf) and like Brawl. Good, stfu. For those of you who hate Brawl stop with the trash talking. It's getting very old already. If people don't like the game don't play it. It's simple as that.

It's one thing to be Pro-Melee/Brawl and another to be Anti-Melee/Brawl. For those of you who are the latter, enough. It's really getting old.

That's my pathetic attempt to stop this "argument" :/

Edit: The only thing that I hate about Brawl is the Brawl noobs. They are ten times more annoying than all the noobs in Melee. So ****ing annoying... Oh and I hate Snake.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
lol no ones really arguing, i even stated in the first post that i dont want this to be an argument thread.

infact, i dont think anyone has really argued anything.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I completely agree 100%!!!!

I also found Melee to be incredibly fun that way and still do. What's the point in finding a competitive side to a game that bores you casually? (talking about Brawl)

Atlus8

Smash Master
Edit: The only thing that I hate about Brawl is the Brawl noobs. They are ten times more annoying than all the noobs in Melee. So ****ing annoying... Oh and I hate Snake.
It's the **** noobs that are keeping Brawl alive. Think about it, where the heck were all these people when Melee was going on?! They decided to wait because they didn't want to put time and effort learning a game that was going to "die" after the next installation came out. How wrong they were . . . I can see the same thing happening between Third Strike and SF4. If I were a casual gamer, I would not bother picking upThird Strike and I would just wait until SF4. I can see the same thing happening to the SF community: the split between the veterans and the invasion of the randoms coming in because they think they have a better chance at a new game. However, CAPCOM knows their s#!+ about making a game COMPETITIVE! F**K YEAH! AND F**K BRAWL!

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
It's the **** noobs that are keeping Brawl alive. Think about it, where the heck were all these people when Melee was going on?! They decided to wait because they didn't want to put time and effort learning a game that was going to "die" after the next installation came out. How wrong they were . . . I can see the same thing happening between Third Strike and SF4. If I were a casual gamer, I would not bother picking upThird Strike and I would just wait until SF4. I can see the same thing happening to the SF community: the split between the veterans and the invasion of the randoms coming in because they think they have a better chance at a new game. However, CAPCOM knows their s#!+ about making a game COMPETITIVE! F**K YEAH! AND F**K BRAWL!

and because they just got tired of getting ***** over and over again lol

if your talking about MvC2, then lol. they might as well just remake the game with a 6-8 character roster >_>

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
LOL Calm Down, Atlus.
But I have to say, I am glad you like SF ^_^ And yes, SF games are naturally meant to be competitive.

As for the noob comment. Not everyone who likes Brawl is a noob. There are a good number of Melee veterans who moved onto Brawl after its release. In due time, we will know who is good and who is, well, not. The skill level will become apparent just like in Melee. But whatever. I'm guessing your one of the people who will always hate Brawl regardless lol.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
so wait why are you complaining again?

oh thats right for no reason at all. jsut play the game you want to and stop crying so much.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
lol i actually never played luigi at home with the guys.

all i did play was falco/marth/fox/falcon. and im fairly confident i could of beaten you with all of them back in the day. gimme me a few hours and i could still probly do it.

plus my luigi was not slow and boring. it ***** face. and was a lot more aggressive and technical than any of the campy sheiks, or foxes that i saw you, p, mike haze and all the other people crying about brawl playing.

what i just said might sting a little. but i think its the truth. and i sitll love you kira pro. but im sorry you just made me ROFL with what you said. because i had a lot of fun with melee. and its the best video game that i have ever played. but brawl is fun and its new. and i just feel like playing it. there are new things to get good at in this game. and i have been succesfull so far without my game including camping.

im just tired of people saying "you played luigi" or "edrees played peach"

because im pretty sure mango played the best jiggs ever....and he still doesnt like brawl
Oh, I wasn't saying that your main in Melee was the reason you like Brawl, I was mostly saying that dash dancing is the greatest thing ever and I can't imagine going back to Sheik and not being able to DD anymore because it's a huge part of my game now.

Also I didn't get what was supposed to sting, I can't argue with anything you said. I was never an aggressive Sheik player; my style was very passive. You can play Brawl all you want, I'm just not going to that's all. The only part that might've stung was when you said you could still beat me with any of those characters. I think you're a better player than I am, but I'll MM you anytime you want with whatever characters just because that was a pretty cocky statement.

Hey, the ICs are the only character(s) I enjoy using nowadays. :(
Switch to Falco, ICs are boring sorry. Haha jp. Well not really, Falco is way more fun than ICs but you're too good so I'm jk.

at what point did we even mention technical skill? i'm pretty sure P, Kira, and I are the most untechnical in socal.
Hey, I can do some technical things now. Plus I am AMAZING at Fox's uthrow uair against Jiggs. But not with good DI. But still, I killed Atlus at 115% and 110% after the uair. I dunno how much that is before the throw but I can also L-cancel a lot now.

Same.

yeah.
I'm getting into starcraft now so that by the time starcraft 2 comes around i'm decent at it
Lol, too bad the Korean kids who sit in their basement will **** you no matter how good you get. If it wasn't for them I'd be practicing starcraft too.

killer tofu

Smash Lord
Lol. Quitter well so far i've had the game for about a week and barely finish the campaign n such to get used to the names of stuff and what stuff does.
I'll start playing online soon and hopefully i wont get *** ***** forever.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I hope everyone is still maintaining their tech skill in melee though

its sad to see some of my friends' falcos and falcons turn into wrecks because of too much brawl playing

take out those gcubes people

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
my sheik plays to win. so sometimes it's campy when the matchup dictates it (luigi, jigglypuff are blatant camps). but camping in melee to camping in brawl isn't even comparable; camping in melee really never bothered me because it's so easy to punish in melee off of one mistake, so in reality camping forces you to play near perfectly. so if you sacifice offense for defense in melee it puts pressure to be consistently perfect, since your opponent is putting all the pressure on you to make mistakes. so your statement doesn't really say much of anything.

i dont really care who plays brawl, it's only sad when a good player does because then i can't ever beat him in melee. i'll be glad to mm any of your characters tho if we ever see each other again if you still think you can still beat us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom