• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need a Strategy against a Grabbing Donkey Kong

Colten

Smash Cadet
I just can't beat my friend when he uses DK, one mistake and I lost the round. I was guarding the edge and I kicked too early which would have killed him, but he recovered and threw me off. With Captain Falcon I am the master of the air, and good on the ground, my friend is the opposite. He can grab an incoming Falcon kick, or grab me in mid air or when I'm doing an air attack. I need a strategy to get him in the air because once he is in the air, I Smash Up A, followed with 5-10 U-airs and finish him with Up-B which can usually KO him. But when I land, I can't dodge his grabs. He shield grabs so my air attacks leave me open. Any ideas? And I mean he is an insane grabber, he grabs me while I am in mid-attack.

Colten

Smash Cadet
no its done like this:
1)DK tries to grab
falcon runs back
DK's grab fails

or

1)mindgames

then

2) grab DK
10) KO

Is the only way to do that is by pivoting? And what mindgames can I do?​

hambread

Smash Apprentice
you're lucky he isnt one of those infinite grabbers.
yes and master pivot-smash/grab/aerial

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
z-cancel .
Yeah seriously. If you get a hit on his shield low to the ground, then you should be able to Zcancel and then grab before he recovers from shield stun.
I also recommend you get better at recovering, if all it takes is a couple throws to kill you :lick:

Colten

Smash Cadet
Yeah seriously. If you get a hit on his shield low to the ground, then you should be able to Zcancel and then grab before he recovers from shield stun.
I also recommend you get better at recovering, if all it takes is a couple throws to kill you :lick:
Cool, I was thinking that would work, but wasn't sure. Thanks guys!​

BladeZero

Smash Cadet
Best way to beat him is to learn a character with a projectile. That will force him to charge in, leaving him open for attack. Fox, Mario and Pikachu are all good choices.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
He must be exaggerating when he says 10.

Anyway, just z cancel your arials and **** his sheild. run at him and short hop DownA's to his monkey face. If you land on the other side of him your probably better off too because he'll have to turn around before he can attempt his grab, giving you more time to move away or attack again.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
i can only do 6 on hyrule. i guess thats the skill gap between civilians and pros.

dwp171

Smash Apprentice
yep, constant short-hopped z-canceled aerials will own a grabbing dk. If he shield grabs often, it should be easy for you to hit his shield with an aerial, z-cancel it, and then grab him before he can recover from shielding. The key here is z-canceling consistently and effectively.

Top Bottom