• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help approaching, and getting off the ledge.

Vilikis

Smash Rookie
I struggle a lot to approach an enemy, especially one that uses projectiles a lot. What can I do?

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, approaching is a major weakness for Luigi. His approach options are limited and predictable; they can be countered.

For projectile spammers, particularly someone like Zero Suit Samus or Pikachu for example, cancel their projectiles with a Fireball or just run and shield. You should be patient with your play to think of a strategy.
You can run and shield just for your own punish, such as a down throw or a different move (like maybe a sliding up smash). This one is a bit more tricky because there could be the event of you messing up and getting punished yourself.
For Fireballs, you can cancel them and spam them, but be careful because they could rush in and hit you hard. Fireballs are mainly used for baiting tools in this situation. If they are getting impatient, then make them play your game and bait them.

I can't say for sure how to counter which projectile character you're talking about because you didn't specify the character. You will need to do something different in each situation if a character does projectile spam you.

Though, I am unsure by "getting off the ledge." What is your issue with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Unfortunately, approaching is a major weakness for Luigi. His approach options are limited and predictable; they can be countered.

For projectile spammers, particularly someone like Zero Suit Samus or Pikachu for example, cancel their projectiles with a Fireball or just run and shield. You should be patient with your play to think of a strategy.
You can run and shield just for your own punish, such as a down throw or a different move (like maybe a sliding up smash). This one is a bit more tricky because there could be the event of you messing up and getting punished yourself.
For Fireballs, you can cancel them and spam them, but be careful because they could rush in and hit you hard. Fireballs are mainly used for baiting tools in this situation. If they are getting impatient, then make them play your game and bait them.

I can't say for sure how to counter which projectile character you're talking about because you didn't specify the character. You will need to do something different in each situation if a character does projectile spam you.

Though, I am unsure by "getting off the ledge." What is your issue with that?
I think he means getting up from the ledge. And yes I struggled with this for a while as luigi as well. Tbh you never really want to be out there as any charachter in this game unless you are wiifittrainer or villager. Other than those two charachters being at the ledge is a very dangerous proposition in general because of how ledge mechanics work in this game. My advice would be to come to the ledge and use fireball as you are falling this forces your opponent to shield and prevents them from gimping you. Now lets say you make it back onto the ledge, there are 5 options you can go for:

1. Standard gettup. Probably the safest gettup option in the game imo because at early percents your opponent only has a 1-2 frame punish window, so yoiu can get up and shield or roll out of danger. At higher percents it is less safe as there is more lag on the gettup and you can be punished with a grab or attack.

2. Rolling. Another fairly safe option, but definitely more punishable by a smart player.

3. Getup attack. Imo the worst option, because they could just shield it and do w/e they want to punish you.

4. Jump. Not a good option for luigi because it puts you above your opponent and luigi hates to be in that position.

5. Release ledge and jump to aerial or down b. Surprisingly effective option for luigi. Most people dont expect it unless you do it often and is a good mixup.

All in all just be patient when you are on the ledge. I often wait for an opponent to choose and option like a smash attack or something and then get a punish on them. Its definitely not a good spot to be at though in this game. Thats why maintaining center stage control in this game is so important.

Last edited:
Top Bottom