• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Need some advice for High School

Bro. I just got through freshmen year. Here's some advise (and yes, some things sound cliche, but what I'm about to say is completely true). And yes, I loved my freshmen year.
So did I, it was one of my easiest, and most boring, years of school.

Don't advertise your love of video games. Brawl doesn't make you cool.
Considering I never cared about "cool", everyone in my freshman class knows I play WoW. They once did crack jokes at me, but they stopped because I never responded, thus creating that awkward atmosphere one too many times.

Make a lot of different friends. Make friends with the ghetto,
No, don't, they're usually the ones that apply peer pressure.
the nerds,
You play the vidya games, you make friend with the nerd.

the jocks,
Making friends with attention hoarders like them is one of the worst things to do; if they, by any chance, are arses to people, you'll lose other friends that have more meaning to you.

the potheads,
Haha, no.

the average.
Yeah whatever they're average.

As for girls, I'm picky as hell. I won't have a girlfriend unless they meet all of my criteria(not ugly, can't party too much, can't drink, can't smoke, can't be a hoe), but that's not always a good thing. If you're looking, don't be too picky.
Don't always go for girls throughout your entire time in high school.

Fantasising over someone you'll never be with in class is stupid when you can be paying attention.

WHATEVER people say, weed IS a fun, leisure activity only to be done with friends. It's a thrill. Oh man, it's a thrill. Imagine having an unlimited access to Brawl, whenever you want, with enough skill to beat M2K. It's something everybody should try. But don't abuse it.
Too bad a lot of people do become abusive of it.

I'm not a party guy, but if you turn out to be one, LEARN HOW TO DANCE. It'll do wonders for you. I don't know how to, and I see my ugly friends picking up girls with their moves. I'm just like -__-. Why?
Basically, if you're the nerdy type, don't bother going to dances.

Haha, I'm so uncaring about it, I find WoW and other games exponentially more entertaining than dancing with girls/friends.
They always ask me: ARE YOU GOING TO THE DANCE?

I mostly always say no, just flat out, no spice or sugar on my words.

I stay away from a lot of people, yet they continue to approach me. Because I'm the type of person that doesn't want excessive amounts of social contact, and only a handful of friends, I'm the one minding my own business somewhere on the opposite side of the room.

Sigh, in my school at least, trying to stay away from attention gets you the opposite results, if you try to get attention, either you'll get it or you won't.

Extreme distaste comes to me when someone's up to my face saying "So, how are ya? Are you good? How's life?"

Oh yeah, I also walk around my typical day with a stone face on, a face that doesn't portray emotion, simply because I don't feel any at that time.
Ehh, I don't do it on purpose the very large majority of the time, I do it because there's nothing to be happy, sad, or angry about.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
So did I, it was one of my easiest, and most boring, years of school.

Considering I never cared about "cool", everyone in my freshman class knows I play WoW. They once did crack jokes at me, but they stopped because I never responded, thus creating that awkward atmosphere one too many times.

No, don't, they're usually the ones that apply peer pressure.

You play the vidya games, you make friend with the nerd.

Making friends with attention hoarders like them is one of the worst things to do; if they, by any chance, are arses to people, you'll lose other friends that have more meaning to you.

Haha, no.

Yeah whatever they're average.

Don't always go for girls throughout your entire time in high school.

Fantasising over someone you'll never be with in class is stupid when you can be paying attention.

Too bad a lot of people do become abusive of it.

Basically, if you're the nerdy type, don't bother going to dances.

Haha, I'm so uncaring about it, I find WoW and other games exponentially more entertaining than dancing with girls/friends.
They always ask me: ARE YOU GOING TO THE DANCE?

I mostly always say no, just flat out, no spice or sugar on my words.

I stay away from a lot of people, yet they continue to approach me. Because I'm the type of person that doesn't want excessive amounts of social contact, and only a handful of friends, I'm the one minding my own business somewhere on the opposite side of the room.

Sigh, in my school at least, trying to stay away from attention gets you the opposite results, if you try to get attention, either you'll get it or you won't.

Extreme distaste comes to me when someone's up to my face saying "So, how are ya? Are you good? How's life?"

Oh yeah, I also walk around my typical day with a stone face on, a face that doesn't portray emotion, simply because I don't feel any at that time.
Ehh, I don't do it on purpose the very large majority of the time, I do it because there's nothing to be happy, sad, or angry about.
Yaaay sociables, I lovers you guyz.
I hope the OPer realizes taht he's going to get so much different advice from all of us, and that it's all true, depending on his personality. AKA be yourself, if something doesn't sound right to you, then don't do
it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
don't mac on chicks older than you, I learned the hard way that freshman have no business hitting on upperclass students.

sammy p

Smash Lord
I tried clicking your "it".

I was disappointed.
quote for truth
actually, that makes 3 of us :laugh:

ummm for my advice... i know im not saying anything new but... if youre usually cocky or arrogant in any way, i suggest you drop that habit QUICK lol. anyone your age or older really dont enjoy people with that kind of additude :)
but like everyone else said, just be active in your school! there are soooo many clubs and organizations to join! i never talked to certain people until i got involved in my schools FFA, track and field, cross country, and peer advisor groups(to name a few), and they are now some of my best friends!!
hang out with people that have few worries.... drama sucks pal lol

soju

SD God
Best advice i can give ya is make the best of what ya have, even if you aren't that popular or don't have many friends, its still just highschool. Just do what you like to do and if people have problems with it, just ignore em. Its as simple as that.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I don't see what's so wrong with Omnicron's post. Just because you don't want to be friends or hang out with a lot of people doesn't mean you "fail" in any way.

soju

SD God
There is nothing at all wrong with his post its just that people don't like it when your antisocial and they become ***** about it

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
High school is like military school. But where military school prepares you for the army, high school prepares you for social skill. If you can't learn to get along with everybody, you're f***ed. You don't necessarily have to like everybody. But you should at least be open to them and not label them for who you were taught they were.
If you meet someone of the opposite sex you like, you shouldn't stand there like a sitting duck. Let yourself assume that you'll be together forever, or just prepare for experiences outside of high school. It doesn't matter.
I was thinking about starting sophomore year, just hooking up with girls, to get the experience and prepare for a real girlfriend when the right one comes around.
And don't you dare hate on weed. It's one of the funnest things you've never done. Just be smart about it and give yourself an opinion (a.k.a don't let people push you around).

BSP

Smash Legend
I wouldn't recommend doing drugs of any kind...

Just be yourself man, and everything should be fine.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lulz, you are one asocial dude, Omnicron.

And this is coming from someone who is one step away from creepy mountain hermit type.

This kid fails high school.
I don't think he fails, but he definitely isn't interested in acquiring social skills. That's his business, but to everyone else, it's okay to make friends. Really. I mean, if you hold off out of some elitist code where you're too good for everyone else, you're going to end up alone, and you won't be able to blame society for that part (though chances are you'll try).

But that's okay, I guess. Some people don't like people. He can have my lonely shack in the woods after I'm dead.

rhan

Smash Hero
Best advice about High School...

Everything about it means **** in the real world.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I don't really like people asking me that either tbh. I don't consider myself ENTIRELY asocial because I can talk to a good deal of people at my school somewhat-comfortably, but I don't really get out much outside of school activites.

I also think I might have slight problems with social anxiety, sooooo...

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
Hm, I'm an incoming junior in high school, here's my 2 cents

`` If a club or sport seems interesting to you, even a little, join. In these you have lots of fun and meet people that end up being key in your life. If nothing else, you make friends. If not, just quit. You've got nothing to lose

`` Don't care about what others think. By this I mean, you can be whoever you want to be, don't give in to what's "cool" or anything like that. I talk about smash and pokemon out in the open and don't give a care. If someone disapproves, he/she is an *** hole. Who needs them?

`` Befriend your teachers. You don't have to kiss their butt, but try and befriend them, MOST high school teachers are actually pretty cool, and if you can carry on a conversation with one then your good. If the teacher seems like an intellectual, bring up a topic. I started a really awesome convo with my history teacher if the South Park episode 201 should have been censored, as the network was under fire by muslim extremists that would kill them if they depicted muhammad. Just an example.
This has it's obvious benefits

`` STUDY!!! Even if you've never studied before in your life. 10th grade was a huge shock for me as I never before needed to study to have good grades, like EVER. I didn't even know what studying really meant. My 10th grade GPA was crap because I didn't know how to study. Make sure you review your class material regularly, like several times a day. You learn by repetition, not all night cramming sessions. If you're an audio learner, record your notes on your PC, then save them as an MP3 and play it on your MP3 player all the time. This could also be used for cheating,
but most teachers ban headphones from tests.

`` Don't be shy. I know some people are biologically shy, I know a person like this. However, don't be afraid to speak up during class if you don't understand something, or to volunteer. You may not realize this, but teachers LOVE kids who regularly volunteer for answers. Some even give extra credit for it, EVEN at the AP level

`` Don't get worked up over girls. Sure girls at this level are cute and sexy, but they more or less the same as in middle school. If you get a girlfriend whoo-hoo for you, but if you don't, don't give it a second thought. Don't EVER get worked up over a certain girl or you'll spend your entire summer a depressed blob of emo ****. Love is an emotion that clouds your judgment, therefore, stay away from it as much as you can

`` Stay away from *** holes. These are the people that can ALWAYS be heard and are usually projecting their opinions as facts to try to seem cool. These people are scum. Avoid

`` BE ORGANIZED!! I've lost far too many school assignments that I had COMPLETED the night before and I didn't get points simply because I displaced it. Get a binder, get a whole punch, whole punch all your papers, categorize.

`` When you leave school, put your ID badge in the same backpack pocket everyday. This way, you'll never have to pay for a replacement while your classmate proclaims he owes over 50 dollars in ID replacements

``If you see an ID badge lying on the ground with lanyard intact, by God pick it up! If you know the person, return it. If not, take the lanyard. People are always missing their lanyards and it's nice to be the guy that helps out. At the end of freshman year I has a fistful of lanyards and people would always ask "where do you get so much lanyards?" and I simply replied "I picked them up"

`` Sign up for drivers ed as early as you can. It may be different age for your state, but find out when you can sign up and ask your parents about it.

`` When you pick up your schedule, get there EARLY. like, an hour. Then find out where your classes are, then pick your locker strategically.

`` Talk to people. You can really make a person's day just by coming up to them and greeting them in a friendly manner.

`` Hugs. Hug often. Preferably with cute girls that you've befriended. Never underestimate the power of hugs.

LIST BONUS: Essay writing

In your english class you're going to come across writing a persuasive thesis. This is the easiest thing in the world if approached properly. Trust me on this, we had a class vote to see who wrote the best thesis, and I won by a LANDSLIDE. Even the teacher commentated.

All you need to do is use a big, fancy world within the first 8 words of your opening. If you do this correctly, the reader/listener will be so WOWED by your vocabulary that they won't even really start paying attention to your essay again until the ending. Don't know big, fancy words? Read a magazine or the newspaper. These writers have a wide vocabulary, and they let people know. Or you can read Dr. Martin Luther King speeches. Point is, using big words doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else. But it sure SOUNDS like you are.

Ex: Topic: Shakespeare's mastery of the english language

BAD:

There are many ways Shakespeare was good at writing stories in english... he was the best

Awesome:

Although there is a *plethora* of great writers in history.... Shakespeare's mastery of the english language far surpassed all others.

I am not joking when I say people will be so wowed they won't pay attention until the end of the paragraph.

`` Meet people who play smash. Ask around. This way you make friends, get better at smash, start a local smash scene, and have FUN!

`` And finally, don't be nervous or afraid to try something new. I get afraid because I've never done something before, but if I never try it, I could have missed out on something great.

`` LIST BONUS. Don't drink soda, it's loaded with sugar, costs money over a long period, and is really bad for you.

`` LIST BONUS. If someone asks for a dollar, don't give them one. They are likely not to pay you back, even if they say they will. Unless it's someone you really trust.

"This way MY 2 cents, which when, compared to YOUR 2 cents is like, 50 bucks. Thank you."

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I am calling it now, Omnicron will come in today, quote every post about him and say "delicious tears" and you're like :|

Or he won't because he saw this.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
"`` Hugs. Hug often. Preferably with cute girls that you've befriended. Never underestimate the power of hugs."

I uh, wouldn't suggest doing this for extended periods of time yo. If you want something more, maybe get a hug or two for the first few weeks and then move on, girls only stay interested for so long.
UNLESS your going for like friends or something. Hugging gets all the people that can't get a boyfriend to hug you back. I have a friend who thinks he's pimping because he hugs loads of girls, except his friends are the ones that are happy go lucky and think of a hug as just a hug, my buddy thinks it's something special, and whenever he greats someone he always try's to hug them unless he thinks they aren't good looking.

Soo point of that story, if you want to friendz a girl, hug the **** out of her.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Pay attention in any science or history class, everything else is pretty easy. They pretty much promote any1 to the next grade these days.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
"`` Hugs. Hug often. Preferably with cute girls that you've befriended. Never underestimate the power of hugs."

I uh, wouldn't suggest doing this for extended periods of time yo. If you want something more, maybe get a hug or two for the first few weeks and then move on, girls only stay interested for so long.
UNLESS your going for like friends or something. Hugging gets all the people that can't get a boyfriend to hug you back. I have a friend who thinks he's pimping because he hugs loads of girls, except his friends are the ones that are happy go lucky and think of a hug as just a hug, my buddy thinks it's something special, and whenever he greats someone he always try's to hug them unless he thinks they aren't good looking.

Soo point of that story, if you want to friendz a girl, hug the **** out of her.
great story 10/10 would read again some parts were vague but had me laughing for a lot of the time improve ur grammar next time though.

Anyway, he's right, if you want to be friends with a girl you have to hug her like mad. If you don't you probably shouldn't do it too much.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
That's some of the best advise here, Cherry.

Girls like hugs. I didn't want to give girls hugs, cuz I thought that me being fat would deflect girls from hugging me. I was wrong lmfao.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Can't say english was really my strong suit in High schoolz. Glad I happened to entertain though.

Bigger people give great hugs yo, best huggers ftw, however whe picking up chicks hugging is declaring friendship, Hugging your girlfriend almsot always leads to a kiss/making out. Remember the difference

§witch

Smash Lord
High school's a lot of fun if you aren't an antisocial ******. Even if you're a **** people will still like you as long as you're funny.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
I just graduated, so here's what advice I have to offer:

-Pay attention in class. No srsly, when you slack off in class, or get behind on your homework, you have to play catch-up, and that is a horrible game. Get plenty of sleep so you don't get tired and fall asleep in class. Don't procrastinate too much, and make sure you study well. Good grades are important, especially when you're trying for a scholarship. It really helps to be in the top 10% of your class, or even the top 5%, or maybe even valedictorian or something like that.
-If you're going to be taking a class that is similar to/ the next level of a class you're taking this year, don't study for the test, then forget everything the day after the test; study hard before AND after the test. In the following years, you may need info from previous classes. This is especially true if you plan on taking a foreign language for more than two years. In fact, if you need to, study during the summer. My first few weeks in Spanish 3 and 4 were not fun because I did not study at all during the summer.
-As for friends and social stuff, pay attention to things like announcements, posters, and the like, and if you hear or see something about anything that interests you, be it a club, organization, or sports team, then at the very least check it out. In my junior year, there was a play, and even though I'm usually rather shy, I actually tried out, got a part (non-speaking, but still), and had a really fun time with it.
-Be nice to the teachers, and don't be the class clown. Sure, they're sometimes funny, but it's really annoying to the ones who are trying to listen to the teacher, or do the work. Plus, teachers are more willing to help you out and stay with you after class if you don't act out in class.
-If your school offers any sort of work release program, or something of the sort, that allows you to leave school early and skip periods to go work a job, then do it. You'd be amazed at how different school becomes when you have less classes to go to per day, plus you could make some really good money. It was really nice in my senior year, having 3 less periods than usual. Plus, I earned a good amount of money for college, even though I only worked at minimum wage the whole year.

Hope that's not too much. Good luck!

I am calling it now, Omnicron will come in today, quote every post about him and say "delicious tears" and you're like :|
I only see one post about me...
:(

Where are my tears for the day!?

Edit: Come on guys those aren't tears.

Just squishy blocks of gray mush that I can't feed on.

There is nothing at all wrong with his post its just that people don't like it when your antisocial and they become ***** about it
Also this is the main reason I act the way I do.

It frustrates people and their consistent attempts at me entertain me to no end.

But that's okay, I guess. Some people don't like people. He can have my lonely shack in the woods after I'm dead.
Can I have the shack in the desert instead?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Bro just come with us you'll finally get out of your house and stop playing your silly game and drunk with us and the guys and score some girls like us ;o
u should totally come with us dude

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Freshman year is SO easy. You don't even have to try in some classes. I got an overall 3.833 GPA w/ ease and all I did was turn in homework and pay attention.

You really don't need any advice.

Top Bottom