• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some help with platforms

max1130

Smash Rookie
well I main samus and you'll probably think this is sad... I hate any level with platforms except 2. the whole thing is I can't seem to get down platform canceling or any of those other tricks that involve platforms to work can someone tell me what I can do to get better at it?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
PCing has to do with missiles, and I made a missile guide(down at my sig), so you should check it out.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
There's tons to do with platforms for plenty of characters. Samus actually does quite well one FD (I've had people ban it against me in tournies), so I wouldn't consider that "sad." Platforms can get in the way if you don't know how to use them properly.

Missile spamming on Kanto and Yoshi's Story is just technical skill - once you understand exactly what you're doing it all comes down to practicing it till you can get it right. Repetition, blah blah.

Samus has other trixies with wavelanding on platforms. Most of these just involve getting the tech skill through practice.

There's some solid things Samus can do with platforms that don't require solid tech skill, though; here's a few general things to use platforms for (most of which work with most characters):

If you can hit your opponent onto a small platform so that they tech, they don't exactly have anywhere to techroll too; they're trapped. Try to take advantage of this. (It's like charge-shotting fish in a barrel).

When coming down onto a platform, you've got the option of landing on it or fastfalling through it. You can feint an attempt to land on a platform but fastfall through it, or fastfall as though you're going to drop but let go at the last second to land on it. This can work well on stages such as DK64, where many characters/players have a hard time covering both the high platforms and main part of the stage.

If both you and your opponent are on a platform, you can drop through it and immediately jump-nair or uair. This'll allow you to get a relatively low nair/uair you normally couldn't. You can very how far you fall before you jump, or just fall through completely - the more options you have, the harder it is for your opponent to prepare a response.

Samus' utilt goes through a lot of platforms if she's standing below. If you can catch someone with it, it'll likely knock 'em upward. Either they'll get trapped on the platform (the situation I explained in the first platform-advice-thingie), or they'll go high enough for you to jump up and hit 'em with the air move of your choice. You'll likely see Marth players using his fsmash or utilt in the same situation below a platform.

If you're on a platform above someone (hopefully not a Marth >.<), try running (or wavedashing) off of it, fastfalling and using your bair - it works quite well if the situation is right.

There's plenty of other things, but hopefully this is enough for now to hep you get past your dislike of platforms. Don't focus too terribly much on crazy advanced tricks when you've got strategies open at whatever your current level of tech skill is. Don't discount those crazy tricks either, though - missile spamming on kanto is crazy good fun.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Dont worry about mastering the art of missile spamming by canceling them on platforms so much. I mean it has it uses but pros like Wes and HuGs rarely do it, and i try and play like them...

Redragon

-F_a_T_e-

Smash Cadet
Bombs can play a HUGE part in platforms by confusing ppl and chaining stuff. Pretty sick.. My guide can hlep you w/ some advance moves if you need any..

max1130

Smash Rookie
Bombs can play a HUGE part in platforms by confusing ppl and chaining stuff. Pretty sick.. My guide can hlep you w/ some advance moves if you need any..
I've gotten pretty good now at wavedashing off platforms right after I land on them so I think I can use that against space animals trying to recover with that illusion thing.

Top Bottom