• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I refuse to attack opponents when they trip!

Nightsama

Smash Rookie
does the Sirlin article REALLY need to be posted again? REALLY? http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm
Beat me to it. :p

Seriously tho, I have done that type of **** before - when playing with my buddy in Samurai Shodown IV, if we hit the other person with a super move we'd actually back off and let the other pick their weapon back up. But that is the only time I'd even consider being 'honorable' (and besides that was kinda a special situation, we just didn't like playing with no weapons) - if I'm playing casually against friends and don't necessarily need to go for the throat. If it's someone I don't know, money on the line or not, give no quarter and expect none in return.

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
This thread not only makes me want to attack my opponents when they trip, but now, every time my opponent trips, I'm going to smack the controller out of their hands, and use a fully charged F-Smash while they scramble to pick it up/retaliate.

Seriously, though, I'm not going to try to deny this mechanic, no matter how bizarre it is. Go with the flow!

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
The thing I hate most, about anything, is cheating and unfairness. I will not attack my opponent when they are on the ground after tripping, in fact, I will back away from them. I don't expect my opponents to not attack me when I trip. Even in money matches (if I am good enough to be in any :laugh: ) I will not attack an opponent who has tripped. Who is with me! I think it would be great if a vast majority of Brawl players did this. It would add a sense of honor that casual and competitive Brawl needs.
1) Attacking someone when they trip is not cheating.

2) The whole point of a competitive game is to put you at an advantage and put your opponent at a disadvantage. So the whole concept behind competitive games is to be unfair.

3) You can accidentally attack someone when they trip without meaning it.

4) You're honestly wasting your time by personally handicapping yourself.

Tiwaz

Smash Cadet
That's a great idea! I got another great idea that would go well with this.
When we play, we shouldn't hit each other at all. Fighting is bad in general and should be avoided.
So, you want to trade friend codes? We can have honourable matches, aye?

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
it depends on the situation...
if its casual, be honorable
if its competitive, GO FOR THE KILL!

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
If somebody I'm playing trips, I'll go over there and start kicking the crap out of them since they are open. It's their fault for dashing.

I actually like that fact that characters trip in Brawl.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Maybe in extreme casuals fights but in tournaments, **** no.

Edit: Dustero after reading your comment I've decided I don't like you.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
If somebody I'm playing trips, I'll go over there and start kicking the crap out of them since they are open. It's their fault for dashing.

I actually like that fact that characters trip in Brawl.
Even though I full well plan on attacking someone who trips, your reasoning for doing so is moronic. Should a player honestly be punished for dashing? I hate the fact that tripping is in Brawl because it just adds one more random element that detracts from competition.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Mercy is for the weak. I'll just crush them when they lay defeated in the ground.

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
Chivalry.......for in bat duels with my friends, and they drop their bat, I will allow them to pick it up to continue the fight.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
... well u can stop ur self from hitting them when they trip... but it wont stop them from hitting you when you trip! so there no point rly.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
I will smash you every time when you trip. . . If your in a money match you can NEVER have any mercy period. Now when it comes to casual I will probably be nice and not attack anyone that trips :).

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
P.s. I can't think of anything good to call "not attacking opponents who have tripped" :dizzy: Any ideas?
Foolish.
But seriously?? The BEST time to attack is when an opponent is down :chuckle:
But, that's very noble of you, and you might just get a pat on the back

RazeveX

Smash Ace
I AGREE!!

from now on, i WONT ATTACK EVER AGAIN!!!!

wouldnt want to HURT anyone...ya know, in this VIDEO GAME.

geez...

you know, not attacking while your opponent trips is like not using luigis side b. Never know, it might misfire...

180OP

Smash Journeyman
it depends on the situation...
if its casual, be honorable
if its competitive, GO FOR THE KILL!
this seems to be what i'd do. i would, if i had a good lead, let the guy get up in competitive just to mock them a little.

but if money is on the line...no mercy.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
There Is No ****ing Honor In A Video Game, You Play To Win, That Is The Whole Reason Why You Entered The Tournament, To ****ing Win.

EDIT: It took away my SHIFT RAGE.

Surgeon of Death

Smash Rookie
I promise to smash the hell out of anyone who trips. They put it in there for weasels who like to dash dance.

Iraku

Smash Cadet
I don't understand how hitting tripped opponents can be justified if it was in a tournament, or for money. And while tripping is annoying, does it really need a league of people to say that they won't hit a tripped opponent? There really is not honor at stake, and it can only completely change the outcome of a battle so much. You might as well say that you will not hit another during the Zelda/Sheik change, or changing between Pokémon for Pokémon Trainer.

Lord Cheeseball

Smash Rookie
The exact opposite could be said about tripping. It's more dishonourable to not take advantage of the opponent, because you are deliberately limiting your options just to give them a fair fight. If you were honourable you would show them respect by fighting with 100% of your ability. Weak fighters piss and moan about strategies, strong fighters adapt to them.

It is the random nature of tripping that I dislike. If it were able to be predicted, it could be easily avoided, or even used as a sort of unorthadox defensive strategy.

If you mutually agree with your friends, then go ahead and fight with honour, but do not expect the same when going on wi-fi.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Sorry. Not attacking somebody who trips is like giving them a do-over when they hit the wrong attack. Problem is one is completely unavoidable.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Umm The Hobo said:
P.s. I can't think of anything good to call "not attacking opponents who have tripped" :dizzy: Any ideas?
They've already named it: scrub.

Sirlin.net said:
A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of honor, it's not. That disrespecting your opponent, and treating them like they're pathetic. Like this:

There was this video with rapper 50 Cent and this one guy making a video. He challenged 50 to an arm wrestle so he could film it. He knew he'd lose, but it was for the sake of fighting; he bet his watch on it and 50 did the same. The guy lost. 50 took his little cheap watch knowing good and well he didn't need it, but he did it out of respect to his opponent, and a bet is a bet. If had not taken the watch it would be a sign of putting down the guy, meaning "I'm too good for your crap, bet or w/e you can keep ya lil watch". Regardless of circumstances, you respect the opponent.

In Brawl, when your opponent trips and you don't attack them, it's like saying "You're too weak, I'm not gonna hit you". If they felt they couldn't fight you they'd d/c, lol. They decided to put up a good fight, and it's only right you return the favor and give it your all. That's what honor is all about, giving your best and giving respect.

Honor...

Milk!

Smash Rookie
Um, although I'll dislike it when I trip, and feel sorry for others, that doesn't mean that I won't take advantage of others when they do trip.

Top Bottom