• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I roll too much.

chunkysoupy

Smash Cadet
Midwest, Just looking for some newb matches, thank
I've been perusing these forums for a couple of months because of my anticipation for brawl. I know I'm still a newb, but I've stopped doing a lot of the things I used to (Spamming smash attacks, being predicable, not short hopping, not edge-hogging). However, if there's one thing I've noticed it's that I roll too much. Against friends this works because I know I can get any easy grab, but what are some other things I can do to counter an approach?

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
depending on who you play, you might be able to use a retreating short-hopped fair. I have marth in mind.

I play luigi, so with him I just use the tornado whenever rolling becomes too pradictable. It seems to work pretty well.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
Rolling is good to get away from pressure but if you use it too much it gets predictable. Try just keeping your shield up or spotdodge if you think an attack is coming. Both of them will allow you to punish their attack with greater ease.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I've been perusing these forums for a couple of months because of my anticipation for brawl. I know I'm still a newb, but I've stopped doing a lot of the things I used to (Spamming smash attacks, being predicable, not short hopping, not edge-hogging). However, if there's one thing I've noticed it's that I roll too much. Against friends this works because I know I can get any easy grab, but what are some other things I can do to counter an approach?
If you're caught in a situation where you need to roll, do so, but yes-- too much rolling is a bad, bad idea. If you want to get better, find ways to keep the offensive pressure on your opponent. You shouldn't HAVE to be rolling around to dodge their charges if you space well and use your attacks well enough to keep the pressure on. If you can't tell, there's no quick and easy answer, but the less you roll the more you'll stop being a defensive turtle and the more you'll discover better playstyles.

Top Bottom