• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
YESS

NOO you lost ;; heheh

But you finally beat Iggy, and quite convincingly!

Epic new dsmash punish! So close it came down to just a missed grab or read for both games ;;
Soooo good matches.

Would like to see more uair and off stage work personally. But still really amazing. Palutena can be so fast.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Can't watch all of them cause I'm at work but I did take a glance at the first 2 for a sec. Basically, the two things are

1. I feel like you do things just to do them. You press buttons or roll away from your opponents just as a reaction, with no real reason behind it. The Ike video you just kinda... Reflected for no real reason. It serves no purpose against Ike while both players are grounded from that distance. I don't know if that's reaction or just unfamiliarity. You also were Fairing heavily to fish for a hit, which while good, is not 100% what you want to be doing all the time. You were just doing it and getting grabbed/hit for it. That's not using the move intelligently. That's just throwing it out cause you can.

2. Speed. I feel like it goes hand in hand with unfamiliarity but I feel like you move slower than I do by a bit. You should really practice your movement options in training mode so you can get a better feel for how to move quickly as Palutena (or any character really). Practice fast falling, shield dashing, and drifting back & forth while throwing out your aerials. You'll find much more success I feel like once you break those habits and start moving around fluidly.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
AeroLink could've won if he used Counter against those PK Thunders :crying:
Yeah, I realize that now. Sometimes, even to this day, I forget I have a counter in the heat of battle. >.< However, I have to counter his pk thunder hit at the later part of his move; if I counter his pk thunder hit too early, Ness will just go right through Palutena.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Are there any videos featuring high level play with a custom Palutena?

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I'm going to a tourny that starts in about an hour and 30 mins.

So if anyone wants to watch I'll link it here.

http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/profile

I think this is the link, idk I don't use this twitch streaming site ever

Going all Paletuna
I decided to watch the whole thing at work, so here's what I think.

Vs :4yoshi:
  • Counter both "freezes" Yoshi and hits him if he approaches with Egg Roll.
  • Yoshi's down B can break shields... but I guess you found out the hard way. :'(
  • Try reflecting Yoshi's tossed eggs. They come back to him at a weird angle and it can throw him off.
Vs :4pit:
  • I haven't tried it yet, but wouldn't countering Upperdash Arm work well?
  • If your opponent DIs down throw away and air dodges as soon as you hop, fastfall to up smash. AeroLink does this often and it's a deadly mix-up/frame trap.
Vs :4ganondorf:
  • Holy moly, that was a sudden spike in difficulty for you. You do NOT want to make mistakes against a Ganondorf; he's a heavy punisher. Try zoning out more.
  • Ganondorf side B has a weird tech timing. Try practicing with someone on the Skype group.
Vs :4palutena: (!)
  • You were rolling way too much (even in other matches) but this is the first time you got heavily punished for it.
Vs :4mario:
  • You can try a RAR Bair to fight Mario in the air.
  • He charged a lot of smashes. You should've taken the chance to counter those!
  • Always watch out for Mario's spike. Or spikes in general. Warp is too safe, so be careful when he gets close when you're off-stage.
  • At the same time, you're not punishing rolls much. Try to work on that too.

It's a shame that you lost, but you did pretty well.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
In general I noticed you were being very passive, and not being aggressive in certain situations where you had a positional or other advantage. Not sure if you were nervous in those games or if you're normally that passive though. Lots of backwards rolling instead of following up or poking. Another thing I noticed is you make it way too easy for them to get back on stage. Usually you ran up to the edge but then you would roll backwards, not sure why. But this just gives them space to come back on, instead of giving you a chance to smash them or throw them back off the stage.

Against ganondorf especially, you could have zoned him out way harder. More jab1s and less jab2s, getting behind him, bairs, fairs, and more shield dashing and less rolling. Wall him with SH fairs, bairs, and grabs, and when he starts shielding too much you punish with empty hops into grabs. Once he's off stage far enough a nair (spike or not) should pretty much guarantee a kill. I feel like this match up should be really easy as long as you stay concentrated and don't make mistakes.

I didn't know thinkaman was at this tournament too, that was cool seeing him fighting. I've seen him a lot on SWF and like his posts.

Overall though you still did pretty good and got really far. Congrats!

Last edited:

Fuoujin 2

Banned via Warnings
Here are 3 of my matches from the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VcQIRGqcxcvs Dude Lvl 92 (winners quarters?) oop part of the video is cut off, eaux well not great matches anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_Ota6t_Sg vs Jak :4yoshi:(Winners quarters?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtzHNWytS4 vs FeFan88 :4pit:(Winners Semi Finals)
I thiiink this one was supposed to be 3 out of 5?
Idk I'm not used to making it this far in tournaments cause lolZelda in Brawl

I have the other 2 where played FeFan88's Mario, where I pretty much had the match then got spiked, Mario 2 gud.
And the winners finals where Thinkamans (really should have lost to this cause I'm bad and he made a mistake that cost him the match) and Paletuna dittos. He's just a better player than me and can use like every character.

It's 5 am and I need to sleep but I can upload them tomorrow/later today when I wake up.

I need to work on rolling, something I was pretty bad at in the early days of Brawl and learn what percentages I can use follow ups out of d throw.
I'm not really comfortable going offstage with 2 stocks, cause if I **** up then I've pretty much lost.

Usually you ran up to the edge but then you would roll backwards, not sure why. But this just gives them space to come back on, instead of giving you a chance to smash them or throw them back off the stage.
I'm not sure I follow this, I should run up to the ledge and try and smash people when theyre on it?
Doesn't seem like it will work very often.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Here are 3 of my matches from the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VcQIRGqcxcvs Dude Lvl 92 (winners quarters?) oop part of the video is cut off, eaux well not great matches anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_Ota6t_Sg vs Jak :4yoshi:(Winners quarters?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtzHNWytS4 vs FeFan88 :4pit:(Winners Semi Finals)
I thiiink this one was supposed to be 3 out of 5?
Idk I'm not used to making it this far in tournaments cause lolZelda in Brawl

I have the other 2 where played FeFan88's Mario, where I pretty much had the match then got spiked, Mario 2 gud.
And the winners finals where Thinkamans (really should have lost to this cause I'm bad and he made a mistake that cost him the match) and Paletuna dittos. He's just a better player than me and can use like every character.

It's 5 am and I need to sleep but I can upload them tomorrow/later today when I wake up.

I need to work on rolling, something I was pretty bad at in the early days of Brawl and learn what percentages I can use follow ups out of d throw.
I'm not really comfortable going offstage with 2 stocks, cause if I **** up then I've pretty much lost.

I'm not sure I follow this, I should run up to the ledge and try and smash people when theyre on it?
Doesn't seem like it will work very often.
I mean they will have to pick one of the get up options to get back on stage, and either they will be in the air trying to get away from you and land on the ground, or they will be on the ground and try to get away from you by rolling or such. In which case you can read their roll or get up option and possible smash them if they're being too predictable. Like if you stand really close to the stage and shield, and you know the last time you did that they went for a roll, that's a free smash or grab to throw them back off. Or if you know they like to try to ledge drop and jump back on while trying to hit you, you can move backwards then just grab them, shield grab, or you could even time a u/dsmash so that it hits them right at the beginning of their jump after they let go, etc.

When I was watching I think most of the time you were far away enough from the edge that their options of getting back on the stage were barely restricted :(

"I'm not really comfortable going offstage with 2 stocks, cause if I **** up then I've pretty much lost.

Ah, understandable.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Just work on spacing your edgeguards such that, even if your move misses, you remain safe.

Watch how Mew2king edgeguards in Melee. You might get a few hints from his methods.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
A few Aerolink vids were just uploaded by Tourney Locator.

Watching them kinda confirms the problems I've been running in to: Fox is probably one of the worst (if not the worst) MU for Palutena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv--C7QK-4I

Kinda need to find a way to deal with this MU in the future. The other vid of him vs the other Fox doesn't really count as he didn't ever press his advantage.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Watching them kinda confirms the problems I've been running in to: Fox is probably one of the worst (if not the worst) MU for Palutena.

Kinda need to find a way to deal with this MU in the future. The other vid of him vs the other Fox doesn't really count as he didn't ever press his advantage.
YESS!! Thank you!

At my tourny last weekend I grinded out a lot of friendlies with a good fox player and talked about stuff as we played and reflected on things. I think it is hard vs Fox, but I concluded that day if you pick a smaller stage it's not nearly as hard. AKA Battlefield sizes. Otherwise he will just keep running away. At least that's what helped me the most against him.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Matches from The Road to TGC 2!

Vs. Swaka - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxRjPZEou4&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Vs. Megafox - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv--C7QK-4I&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Doubles matches with my static partner iiGGY (Team Divine Intervention)!

Vs. HotPants and Owl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tha44Mzaosk&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Vs. RT and Trela - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKNZNZfr3U&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Vs. Megafox and Espy (2-part videos) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44IAaTvQkx8&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-5FGcxSow8&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

Yeah, Megafox just outclasses me as a player, and the MU is not in Palutena's favor (not by too much though).

Last edited:

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Isn't it possible to completely avoid being ledge trumped by buffering a ledge action? (I forgot if any of them work, or if it's a specific one) Seems like Megafox took advantage of the Coldsteel too often.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Can't watch all of them cause I'm at work but I did take a glance at the first 2 for a sec. Basically, the two things are

1. I feel like you do things just to do them. You press buttons or roll away from your opponents just as a reaction, with no real reason behind it. The Ike video you just kinda... Reflected for no real reason. It serves no purpose against Ike while both players are grounded from that distance. I don't know if that's reaction or just unfamiliarity. You also were Fairing heavily to fish for a hit, which while good, is not 100% what you want to be doing all the time. You were just doing it and getting grabbed/hit for it. That's not using the move intelligently. That's just throwing it out cause you can.

2. Speed. I feel like it goes hand in hand with unfamiliarity but I feel like you move slower than I do by a bit. You should really practice your movement options in training mode so you can get a better feel for how to move quickly as Palutena (or any character really). Practice fast falling, shield dashing, and drifting back & forth while throwing out your aerials. You'll find much more success I feel like once you break those habits and start moving around fluidly.
This is a pretty late response and you're likely to have already forgotten about it since last week, but I thought I'd respond and bring it back anyway...

About the first point on the unreasonable reactions, that was all because of my unfamiliarity with Palutena and being unaware of my characters' options. As mentioned before, I'm still really new to playing the character and have only recently started practicing her, and I watched this video here as my only reference to learning her prior to making these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPU7GTemEXA, which is where all those Fairs came from (I misunderstood it and took it too seriously). The Reflect thing.... whenever I'm still trying to learn a character I'm unfamiliar, I sometimes toy around and experiment with my opponents as if I were in the lab, and I didn't fully understand how the Reflect/SideB works with Palutena. I noticed that SideB seemed to push people back sometimes, and I wanted to see if I could stop that Ike's attempted shorthop Fair with it by pushing him back and make it whiff, it didn't work at all. For a good example of my unfamiliarity, the Robin and Mario matches showed both of them rolling quite a lot of times themselves (mostly the Robin player). If I were playing a character I was familiar with like Greninja or Shulk, I probably could've ruined their rolls with an Utilt or Dmash respectively like I normally do. But because I was using a character I had just started practicing, I don't know how to deal with rolls as Palutena (especially when they are rolling behind me) and I couldn't deal with those guys (although in the end, i read Robin's roll and killed him with a Dsmash to win the game) and am not used to using all her moves yet, particularly her tilts and smashes since they are laggy. The rolling habit, eh, I always do that when learning a new character for the same reason as before: I still haven't yet gotten a proper feel for Lady Palutena yet and don't know the best reversal options or GTFO moves so I decided to resort to rolling until I find out what they are since I didn't know what else to do. Another cause of my excessive rolling is cause I'm scared to get grabbed, and most f the time I forget I even have a spotdodge. There was a time I had a rolling habit when playing as Pac-Man and had a tendency to double jump far too often, but overtime as I got used to him and his playstyle I Broke those a bit and am better about those habits now, and I think the same will end up with Palutena once I get a better grasp of her and become more aware of my options.

Ypu might call it doing stuff just because I can, but from my own side I'd rather see it as being tunnel-visioned and missing some important things about one of my own characters. I'm not aware of everything I could've done instead, and I mostly just use the stuff I am aware of (some of which are bad ideas though, I'll admit) due to my limited awareness The speed thing, can't argue with that I guess. Thanks for the input anyway though.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster I do think that spaced fairs and jabs are pretty good in the Fox matchup, but considering Megafox's aggression, forcing his way in with shield, and dash to SH nair, you have to keep him honest by dash grabbing him out of approaches from time to time. Otherwise, he'll have free reign over you. Against the other Fox player, he was giving you too much space and so you could afford to just play completely defensive. However, a player who is able to pressure you and is looking to bait you out constantly using their presence has to be challenged or you'll find yourself losing both the mental battle and the damage battle in the long run.

I do agree with you that Megafox is just probably the better player right now, but you have to not get scared. Try to fight him a little on the ground game. Dash to SH retreating fair or dash attack on something laggy. Grab if he shields. And try to not get scared and roll - he ate you alive for rolling multiple times.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
@ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster I do think that spaced fairs and jabs are pretty good in the Fox matchup, but considering Megafox's aggression, forcing his way in with shield, and dash to SH nair, you have to keep him honest by dash grabbing him out of approaches from time to time. Otherwise, he'll have free reign over you. Against the other Fox player, he was giving you too much space and so you could afford to just play completely defensive. However, a player who is able to pressure you and is looking to bait you out constantly using their presence has to be challenged or you'll find yourself losing both the mental battle and the damage battle in the long run.

I do agree with you that Megafox is just probably the better player right now, but you have to not get scared. Try to fight him a little on the ground game. Dash to SH retreating fair or dash attack on something laggy. Grab if he shields. And try to not get scared and roll - he ate you alive for rolling multiple times.
I gotcha; I'll take note on what you're telling me. Being pressured like that by Megafox is not something I'm used to yet. Fighting against him, it felt like I was 2 steps behind, lol. I'm going to look over that match a lot. I hope to put on a much better performance next time we meet. I'll do my best to improve!

Top Bottom