• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck with the good characters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iliveanddie

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-8837-5420
I was look at the new tier list, and when I updated my signature after that, I noticed something interesting. My main (Ness) was in the E tier, and my four other favorite Characters were either in the D or the G tier. And of the ones I hated [MK, Diddy, D3 and Squirtle (whom shall count as the PT)], 3 of the four were either in the SS or the A tier (PT was in the F tier). I found it strange that according to statistics, my favorite characters sucked and the ones I was bad with were pure glory.

I must admit I'm not the best brawl player; some on the forums would say I suck. I wouldn't say that myself, but I'm just average at best. I must also note that I don't really believe that tiers define a character, but rather the person who plays it. All I think tiers do is just give an update on how recent tournaments are going.

However, does it mean that I (statistically) suck, due to my favor of the lower tiers?

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
However, does it mean that I (statistically) suck, due to my favor of the lower tiers?
Tiers just represent which characters have the mose advantages over other characters. However it all depends on the player. If the player uses a SS tier character, but has no idea how to use that characters advantages to his advantage (I know i sound pretty redundant right now) then he could very well be easily beat by a E or G tier character. Look at Gimpyfish. So no. you don't suck. It just depends on your playstlye.

RobotsInTheSky

Smash Rookie
There are some good and some bad characters
Im sure that in the right hands, the ice climbers could be dangerous.
also
A sucky MK poses no threat.
My advice is to stay away from Tiers and produce your own 'good' character

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Despite being told at most tournies that I should just drop Ness, I never do. People tell me this because they're convinced I'm good enough to go home with 1st, but instead, I just settle for 5th with Ness and Mario.

It doesn't matter if I win or lose, at the end of the day, I'll have had more fun than you.

RobotsInTheSky

Smash Rookie
Ness is great?!
How do you get 5th?
If you use pk fire and then wail on them + a PK missle
Its hard to lose

auroreon

Smash Ace
Despite being told at most tournies that I should just drop Ness, I never do. People tell me this because they're convinced I'm good enough to go home with 1st, but instead, I just settle for 5th with Ness and Mario.

It doesn't matter if I win or lose, at the end of the day, I'll have had more fun than you.
You completely described how I feel about playing a low-tier character.

I too suck with good characters, infact, I suck with every character besides Yoshi... cos from the day I bought Brawl to this day, I have NEVER seriously used another character in a competetive match.

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
Tiers are for queers.

Use the character you like the most, not one a list says is the best.

I went to a tournament, and a lot of fat guys laughed at me when I picked Lucario.
I beat all of them though.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Tiers are for queers.

Use the character you like the most, not one a list says is the best.

I went to a tournament, and a lot of fat guys laughed at me when I picked Lucario.
I beat all of them though.
You had better be joking.......

I use the character I am best with, which is what you should do, but as far as being better characters, the high tiers are better than the low tiers.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Tiers represent, based on tourney results and matchups, how good a character is statistically. That in no way means that a Falcon player will never defeat an MK. Player skill is the biggest factor of any match, no matter the matchup or characters. Play who you're good as. End of story.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
not really all the characters are good in there own way it matters how you use them
No, this is not the case. Its almost impossible to perfectly balance such a large cast and Brawl did a very bad job of it.

Tiers represent, based on tourney results and matchups, how good a character is statistically. That in no way means that a Falcon player will never defeat an MK. Player skill is the biggest factor of any match, no matter the matchup or characters. Play who you're good as. End of story.
This is the general consensus. Although at high levels its very very bard to win as Falcon, it can definitely happen.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Brawl is far too young to expect the tier list to actually be accurate. Do you believe Ness is bad because you have experienced him being bad, or do you believe Ness is bad because someone on smashboards told you Ness is bad? If you have trouble winning matches, can you identify which factors are making you lose? Could using a character other than Ness resolve those, or are they personal problems that are either independent of character or might even get worse if you switched? Which character you use is really a personal thing; I think the way some people approach tier lists is really unhealthy. I'm not one of those silly (and wrong) people who thinks using bad characters is a good idea, but at the same time I recognize that a. not everyone realizes their personal highest potential with the best characters and b. the value of the characters isn't very well known. What you need to do is be honest with yourself about your prospects at this game and how they relate to Ness (and the other characters). Do you honestly believe Ness is bad? Do you honestly think Ness will hold you back in the long run? Do you believe you could reach your greatest potential with Ness, or could you with another character? Pick your character to play to win, and if that results in you picking Ness, so be it. If that results in you picking Meta Knight, so be it. Above all, don't let people on smashboards telling you that some character is good or bad be the basis for your decision. Even if they are right about how good a character ultimately is (which is very likely to be untrue), that information will be useless to you until you personally can see it from the game. Rely on your own judgments; it's your best bet in the long run.

This is actually my general advice to any "low tier" main. If you honestly believe your character is good, you should be honest with yourself consistently but stick to what you think is best to win until you either feel as though you've proven the people who said your character is bad wrong or you've come to see why they were right. Going along with their assessment without a personal appreciation of it is a quick path to defeat.

A last note, and strictly a personal one from me, I don't think Ness is actually bad. Most of the actual Ness mains don't even have faith in their own character which is shocking and depressing (they should get a new main!), but since the characters are ultimately static and never change in value, that doesn't worry me.

Kief

Smash Ace
i suck with all the good character also lol. it must just be my inner hatred for them >_>

but you can be good with any character. just look at my fellow link main, Deva. he's ranked 24th in the west coast. G tier represent ;)

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
You had better be joking.......

I use the character I am best with, which is what you should do, but as far as being better characters, the high tiers are better than the low tiers.
Im not, Tiers are idiotic. The "Top" Tiers are only the characters that can spam the fastest.

TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS

Anop

Smash Apprentice
i use 2 characters of the G tier (jiggs and ganon) and one of the f tier (pt) and i beat some mk!!!

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Spamming is LEGIT!
Also easily punishible.

On topic, I use characters that fit my personal playstyle. If I were to be in Brawl, I'd be a clone of Ganon: I'm patient, I look closely at my opponent's attacks, and I punish accordingly. As for Jigglypuff, I have an operatic singing voice and I love drop-kicking people in the face.

I also find more satisfaction in winning with a lower-tier character than if I were to just get MK and pull out the ol' Omnigay to win.

Volts

Smash Cadet
Sadly there is some truth to tiers. However, that doesn't mean you have to give up on your favorite character. If you like a character then fine play them, just don't come back crying about however one else seemed better then you.

I play Guilty Gear, my favorite characters are Chipp, Axl, and Slayer. However, even though I like them I can't really use them all that well. The only character that I place with at tournaments or professional play is Venom, a character I despise.

I guess the best thing to do is to find a character you can win with an only take him out at tournaments, or when your friends are really bugging you :p

Smash Master 99

Smash Rookie
I suck with good characters, but i feel way more natural with link (G tier). But still i hate constantly dying due to links worthless recovery.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
Maybe the tier list will be more accurate in June . . . until then, we're just going to have to wait and represent our mains. It doesn't get any simpler than that. (without being mean)

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Ness main and I don't doubt his abilities. I don't think he'll be A anytime soon, but he can compete pretty well and has potential if you know how to use him correctly...

Denzi

Smash Master
*Sigh*

The OP looked fine until tiers were mentioned. The talk about being bad with high tier characters is fine (I can't play MK for crap), but the denial of the existence of tiers is just silly. Their there, deal with it. If you don't think so fine, but don't go telling others that they're wrong. Stuff like that only spurs arguments.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
This thread has apparently just degenerated into spamming about tiers.

Sorry you're not good with high tiers OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom