• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think earthquake should get an upgrade (Bare with me here)

Wrath`

Smash Master
I have never gotten why earthquake just doesn't have guarentied accuracy, I mean if a pokemon uses double team or minimize or raises evasion somehow, it should still be able to be hit with an EARTHQUAKE!!!!!. I mean how can make a couple of copies of yourself via double team protect you from a massive ground shaking event? I think only flying types and levitators should be safe. (Not that any of this matter competitive-wise due to evasivness clause), but I just wanted to get that out there.

M.K

Level 55
The move Earthquake does not make the entire ground shake. A more correct description would be that the user of Earthquake pounds/hits the ground with enough force to send energy shockwaves through the ground towards the opponent.
This makes the attack avoidable, hence the reason why it's NOT unavoidable.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Come on, haven't you ever heard of creating an earthquake in the wrong direction? Duh.

/sarcasm

I agree with you on this. It just makes no sense.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You could argue this about many attacks. Though I agree that Earthquake puts up the strongest argument.

M.K

Level 55
Haven't you people ever heard of jumping?
I'm sure alot of Pokemon that don't fly/have Levitate can jump to avoid the Earthquake.
We don't know how long it goes on for or what area it covers, so stop pretending like this is a freaking 10.5 magnitude Earthquake killing off Pokemon one by one. For all we know, it could be just some sort of shockwave in a secluded spot.

>_>'

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
ITT: Moves that should always hit, but don't?
Add Self-destruct to the list. Smokescreen and Sweet Scent too. Surf and Muddy Water get mentions as well. If you played the Pokemon Stadiums, you know what I mean.

Also, Games ≠ Anime/Manga. Jumping for Pokemon is impossible unless there are two Venusaur on either side of them using Vine Whip as a jump rope, you're offering sweet candies/muffins, they're Spoink, or they're dancing in a contest.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Taken from an AIM conversation I had with a friend.

Rapidash (according to the Pokedex) runs up to 150 miles an hour, while Dragonite (according to the Pokedex) circles the globe in 16 hours.

Because the circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles, Dragonite then flies at 1556.346875 miles an hour. Skarmory (according to the Pokedex) flies up to 200 mph. Arcanine (according to the Pokedex) runs over 6200 miles in 24 hours, which means 258.33 miles an hour. All of that however, is contradictory because the Pokedex also says Rapidash is the fastest pokemon.

Yes, we had too much time. But point is, Pokemon isn't supposed to make sense.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, I think we should rename this thread "Stuff in Pokemon That Just Doesn't Make Any D*** Sense."

Because we all know we've thought about at least three things that defy all logic in this series.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, I king of feel that the newer generations make too much sense.

You don't have as many mysterious pokemon. Like Magneton, which ways ten times as much as a Magnemite. Think about it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Actually, I king of feel that the newer generations make too much sense.

You don't have as many mysterious pokemon. Like Magneton, which ways ten times as much as a Magnemite. Think about it.
Too much sense? Well that makes no sense...I mean, just look at the set-up of religions! Last I knew, there were still disputes about whether Arceus was the creator of all Pokemon, or Mew (er...I think that was the dispute, at least).

Although personally, I plead Smeargle. :laugh:

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Too much sense? Well that makes no sense...I mean, just look at the set-up of religions! Last I knew, there were still disputes about whether Arceus was the creator of all Pokemon, or Mew (er...I think that was the dispute, at least).

Although personally, I plead Smeargle. :laugh:
Nope, Ditto.

Mewter

Smash Master
In double battles, earthquake hits all pokemon on the field except for the user(For some weird reason), so it's safe to say it is an area of effect attack, and even if they could just jump or use double team, what good would that do? They couldn't stay in the air forever....

Skitty and Wailord mating. They're obviously the ancestor of all pokemon(I'm looking at you, Arceus).

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
On-topic: Earthquake is the #1 most used move in the game. It clearly doesn't need to be better.

On-conversation: Lopunny clearly mothered most of the Pokemon you've grown to learn and love. Wait a sec...

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
I got a good one for all of ya.

Why the heck do Pokemon stay asleep after getting hit by attacks?

I bet YOU would wake up if my Pokemon Ice Beam'd you in the face. :mad:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Actually, if you look at PBR, you have a pretty large space. And yeah, EQ should hit people things like substitution. They're obviously right behind their stupid copy, so why doesn't an earthquake hit them?

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
earthquake is fine as it is. besides there are moves that can set up a more effective earthquake. for example, take the move gravity which brings down the flying types.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
The Pokemon who uses Substitute is actually in an alternate dimension tied to the little doll. They can avoid any attacks, but when the doll is destroyed and fades away, they are sucked back into our own dimension.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Actually, Substitutes should be able to get burned and lost 6.25% of its health every turn (1/4 of 25% health = 6.25%).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, Substitutes should be able to get burned and lost 6.25% of its health every turn (1/4 of 25% health = 6.25%).
WHat makes you think the substitute is made out of burnable material?

Regardless, it doesn't feel pain, and the DOT from burn is caused by the pain, not by then being immolated to death slowly.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure it's caused by firelike substances, otherwise the animation wouldn't be fire.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure it's caused by firelike substances, otherwise the animation wouldn't be fire.
I think the animation is just fire because that's the easiest thing to relate it to that someone could understand, also because it's only caused by fire moves, and tri-attack.

THe animation of moves can drastically change in between games though, so I don't think relying on the animation of an attack is very accurate

Top Bottom