• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I found a grab release on Metaknight.

Villi

Smash Lord
*votes excel*

So... I got my wii working yay. If you glide toss a turnip up in someone's face and pivot grab, you're in perfect spacing. So if someone runs into your pivot grab... there you go. Unfortunately, the turnip barely stays in the air long enough at 0%.

Also, I fail at finding guaranteed up smash setups. boo

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
The Idea of this is to get the grab release without turnips. That is putting extra work, and what are the chances of you having a turnip near you at the time you grab meta. This is not something you can control.
That's why I said it's situational. You can bait MK into this, it's not really that hard. But actually it would be better to fthrow, and give some extra damage before following with the flying turnip. I just said the grab release combo since the topic is Grab Release.

I just get creative like that, throwing turnips up and then catching them to follow my opponents and keep the pressure. Or just retreat with it and camp, depending on the matchup and the situation. ^^

Btw, Grab Release>Bomber would be better off against DDD near the edge, since most people tend to jump immediately because of his fastfaller attribute. It's still not very viable though...

Villi

Smash Lord
What can he do to punish it if it'll hit him even if he jumps? Can he potentially swallow you?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It just doesnt exist, and lmfao at being the most technical peach player alive.
Brawl isn't even technical. Though I'll consider myself the technical peach. D.Pch you are FAR from technical.
If anyone else had said what he said they would've gotten the exact response.
Niko, shut up please. Me and the others are tired of this. just shut up. First off, you know 2 ****s about me when it comes to being technical or seen the **** I pulled off at COT4. And I never said I was the most technical Peach alive. Read more carefully. And you think that YOU are the most technical Peach out. Thats why you did not read that clearly and made your dumb post. You say you done trolling yet you do it again. Thus still with the sig and avatar. You are nothing but a liar and can't be trusted as I said before C3. I dont know why I played you knowing you keep the avatar and sig you liar.

But oh well. I love my haters. The more hate I get, the more it shows I am better than them. I should have thought like this a long time ago. funny, I thought I was the attention *****.....

That's why I said it's situational. You can bait MK into this, it's not really that hard. But actually it would be better to fthrow, and give some extra damage before following with the flying turnip. I just said the grab release combo since the topic is Grab Release.

I just get creative like that, throwing turnips up and then catching them to follow my opponents and keep the pressure. Or just retreat with it and camp, depending on the matchup and the situation. ^^

Btw, Grab Release>Bomber would be better off against DDD near the edge, since most people tend to jump immediately because of his fastfaller attribute. It's still not very viable though...
Yea. But I am gonna find something, there is a free grab release and we can't use it? Screw that crap me, there will be something. The one way I have seems it might work with her bair. also gonna try that shield cancel to Ftilt.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
What can he do to punish it if it'll hit him even if he jumps? Can he potentially swallow you?
It's very risky for DDD, but I'm not sure if he could pull that off...

Yea. But I am gonna find something, there is a free grab release and we can't use it? Screw that crap me, there will be something. The one way I have seems it might work with her bair. also gonna try that shield cancel to Ftilt.
Don't try shield cancel. Float cancel (with the meaning of ground floating and instantly landing again) is a lot faster to stop the dash animation than the shield cancel. I pointed that out a long time ago... xD

I just thought of that too, using ftilt since it's pretty fast. Might be a good finisher at high % for MK, which is too good.

People, try Grab Release>Float Cancelled Ftilt and see if it works. We might have something here.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It's very risky for DDD, but I'm not sure if he could pull that off...

Don't try shield cancel. Float cancel (with the meaning of ground floating and instantly landing again) is a lot faster to stop the dash animation than the shield cancel. I pointed that out a long time ago... xD

I just thought of that too, using ftilt since it's pretty fast. Might be a good finisher at high % for MK, which is too good.

People, try Grab Release>Float Cancelled Ftilt and see if it works. We might have something here.
Yea that is a Good way. And holy crap thought of something from this idea.

Remember that broken somewhat wavedash Peach has with her float? What if he used that to cancel her dash then Ftilt him. This could be the only time that thing actually has a use. Cause when I use my shield to cancel her dash attack then Ftilt it hits him but he barely touches the ground. Now with this it should be a lil fast and cut of a few frames. Lets see if this works!

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Remember that broken somewhat wavedash Peach has with her float? What if he used that to cancel her dash then Ftilt him.
That's exactly what I'm actually saying, but it seems you misunderstood it for something else lol. It's pretty useful for using ground attacks almost instantly out of a dash. And yeah, it IS faster than shield. I tested this a long time ago using uptilts.

What we need to figure out is if it would work with the Ftilt's sweetspot.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm no grab release expert but perhaps if peach grab release while facing a wall you could reliability link it into something else.

Just a thought...

edit: Like grab release into up B

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
That's exactly what I'm actually saying, but it seems you misunderstood it for something else lol. It's pretty useful for using ground attacks almost instantly out of a dash. And yeah, it IS faster than shield. I tested this a long time ago using uptilts.

What we need to figure out is if it would work with the Ftilt's sweetspot.
Oh?? My bad then.

It's looks like it would hit with the tip of the attack.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I'm no grab release expert but perhaps if peach grab release while facing a wall you could reliability link it into something else.

Just a thought...
True, it could even combo with an upsmash (or at least uptilt)... but what unbanned stage actually have walls high enough so MK don't go over them when grab released?

Yeah... that's the bad part... =\

Delfino's walls are too low.
Rainbow Cruise... could be (on the last wall before landing back on the ship).
Pokemon Stadium... maybe.
Pictochat... probably on a few places.

Everything else with walls is pretty much banned.

Oh?? My bad then.

It's looks like it would hit with the tip of the attack.
Only the tip? That's not very good... dang and here I was thinking there could be a kill out of a grab in high damages... :(

I'll try to test this out for myself today when I go to my pal's smashfest. ^^

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Nah I'd prefer a normal throw since they do almost the same damage, and I tend to save the ftilt for killing at high damages.

We should try Grab Release>Float Cancel>Jab>Grab. Maybe that would work better.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I hate to sound like I'm trying to burst your bubble but...I must warn you, MK can jump before touching the ground after a grab release. He's stuck in grab release lag for a while but he can definitly perform his mid air jumps before he touches the ground

And no, a CPU will not perform multiple jumps. Having the CPU on jump when attempting these grab releases is useless

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I hate to sound like I'm trying to burst your bubble but...I must warn you, MK can jump before touching the ground after a grab release. He's stuck in grab release lag for a while but he can definitly perform his mid air jumps before he touches the ground

And no, a CPU will not perform multiple jumps. Having the CPU on jump when attempting these grab releases is useless
Nothing is taken account for in training mode, why do you think since the first post I have been saying have a human player test it.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Brawl isn't even technical. Though I'll consider myself the technical peach. D.Pch you are FAR from technical.
Hey Niko.

Dunno if you've tried this yet, but I just 'discovered' it. Llololo not really a discovery though.

Glide toss turnip > Slap > Grab.

The Norm, yeah?

But.

Glide toss turnip > Slap > Stutter step (Back) Fsmash Works just as well. =]

I've been practicing it, and it's pretty much amazing. They usually try to shield grab you n stuff n junk, but, eh.

Try it. =D

Niko_K

Smash Master
I was trying that out at cot4 against Meep and there is just WAY too much time in between the turnip and the f-smash for it to connect. It always gets spot dodged and I get punished.

I guess it just depends on the opponent, but now that people are starting to learn more and more about the match up, I have to play more and more defensively.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I guess it just depends on the opponent, but now that people are starting to learn more and more about the match up, I have to play more and more defensively.
The day people actually realise they can jump up and hit Peach out of her Float is the day we are doomed
:p

I suppose you can try and get lucky and pull off some form of grab release on an MK and hope they mess up their reaction. I can't believe we have a grab release on MK and there's nothing we can do to follow up :/

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I dunno, I've been testing some of the grab release stuff, and It's been proven unsuccessful so far. Personally, I rather just throw them in the end since Peach's grab game isn't all that powerful anymore in terms of knockback, so it's not like you can stale it that much. Plus Peach's throws give really good positioning to her favor.

I think maybe an insta-float Nair followup or a short hop Nair after grab release might work. I find that MKs have a tendency to use their second jumps after a grab release.

MrEh

Smash Hero
There are plenty of other grab release animations that could potentially be exploited.

Diddy and Falco are two high tiers that have exploitable grab release animations. It might be a worthwhile idea to look into that.

Top Bottom