• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think samus is the best in this game

ADHD

Smash Hero
I know it sounds silly, but she has no counters. She has difficult matchups but they are no way impossible. The zair of all odd things completely ***** everyone, even small characters if you use it at the right time. She cannot be chaingrabbed by icys simply because its so impossible for them to approach her.

-this could come out totally to be a noob post :laugh:

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Well... um... she's not.

That's not to say that she's bad (despite what the tier lists would have you believe), but Samus is just not a great character any more. She is really hampered by the fact that she is A- very slow and B- has trouble actually killing people.

I actually like a lot of the changes to her, but she's no Metaknight.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Well... um... she's not.

That's not to say that she's bad (despite what the tier lists would have you believe), but Samus is just not a great character any more. She is really hampered by the fact that she is A- very slow and B- has trouble actually killing people.

I actually like a lot of the changes to her, but she's no Metaknight.
I find it easy once the opponent is at 80 ish you can push them back and get charge your B, then just find the right timing and its not that hard for me. She's got amazing offstage fighting also

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Well, its not hard unless the opponent is actually good =P

Let's continue with the Metaknight example. Assuming you push one off the stage, what do you do? They will airdodge your projectiles, so you can't just randomly throw them out. If you try to spike them, they will reverse-shuttle-loop and then *you* will be dead and they'll be back on the stage. And if you *can* think of a way to reliably gimp MK off the stage, he can just glide under the bottom and recover on the other side.

If you can't kill Metaknight off the stage, that means you need to kill him while he's still *on* the stage. Samus cannot, from what I've seen, get a reliable KO off the top until about 180+%, and that's being generous. Pretty much, you are fishing for fsmash/charge shot KOs, and you can't really do that from the stage until 150+%.

Again, she's not *bad*, but she will not be winning any awards for awesomeness, either. I actually think she's underrated, but that just means I think she belongs near the bottom of mid-tier, not top.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Well, its not hard unless the opponent is actually good =P

Let's continue with the Metaknight example. Assuming you push one off the stage, what do you do? They will airdodge your projectiles, so you can't just randomly throw them out. If you try to spike them, they will reverse-shuttle-loop and then *you* will be dead and they'll be back on the stage. And if you *can* think of a way to reliably gimp MK off the stage, he can just glide under the bottom and recover on the other side.

If you can't kill Metaknight off the stage, that means you need to kill him while he's still *on* the stage. Samus cannot, from what I've seen, get a reliable KO off the top until about 180+%, and that's being generous. Pretty much, you are fishing for fsmash/charge shot KOs, and you can't really do that from the stage until 150+%.

Again, she's not *bad*, but she will not be winning any awards for awesomeness, either. I actually think she's underrated, but that just means I think she belongs near the bottom of mid-tier, not top.
About the tiers, look at snake. Samus does really well against snake and tons of people will learn about this and use her as a secret weapon in tournies. Just give it time...

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Being good against Snake doesn't make her a better character then Snake.

If you really think she's the best character in the game, play her like the best character in the game. More people playing her just means she'll claw her way up the character rankings.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'unno... Word on the street is a new technique might be construed to benefit Samus greatly...

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Samus can't fight short character for her life. Kirby can crouch under her jab and fsmash. Heck, Kirby could avoid her jab just by standing. So can Pikachu, to an extent. To me, Samus will do great in counter picks, but nothing more.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Samus is FAR from the best. Zair is not the savior u think it is. I truly GOOD falco,metaknight,snake,marth, olimar, pit.......will beat a good samus.

Trust me, im front Houston. Houston is probly the 3rd or 4th best brawl city in the US right now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you try too hard to get recognition

if you are an authority on the matter, we should already know and you shouldnt have to tell us

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer

if you are an authority on the matter, we should already know and you shouldnt have to tell us

I know of him...

Samus is FAR from the best. Zair is not the savior u think it is. I truly GOOD falco,metaknight,snake,marth, olimar, pit.......will beat a good samus.

Trust me, im front Houston. Houston is probly the 3rd or 4th best brawl city in the US right now.

And I'unno about Houston being that far up on my rankings list... /troll

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I'unno... Word on the street is a new technique might be construed to benefit Samus greatly...
SPILL. Does it have something to do with bombs? If so I'd hate you forever, because I've been tinkering around with bombs but I'm never able to record and up anything. :<

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
Well, to add a different view to this, every character can be good in this game, except for jiggles and whatnot. I like Samus, therefore I use her, I beat my friends at least 80% of the time, even stupid Toon Link and Diddy. Small characters are annoying ;).

ADHD

Smash Hero

erm, why would i want popularity on a site i have nothing to gain unless i attend high level tournies, and that wont happen anytime soon

J4pu

Smash Champion
I think you need to open your eyes
... and possibly fix your brain

granted I think Samus is a lot better than I used to before seeing how you guys turned her moveset around but she isnt top tier, nor is she probably too close to it

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
SPILL. Does it have something to do with bombs? If so I'd hate you forever, because I've been tinkering around with bombs but I'm never able to record and up anything. :<
Now that, is a secret...

Nah I won't be that mean. It's probably not going to work out, but if it does it might just break Samus. The idea is to use the newly discovered ISJ. This pretty much just allows you to preform any move that cancels on the ground like the Zair or the Fair like it was the Koopa Klaw. Meaning Infinite Jumping with the Zair. This makes the Zair come out much more rapidly.

Of course this is all theory at this point. It's very hard to do, though I've done it several times with Samus' Fair.

D

Deleted member

And i think captain falcon the best character in the game. He can use the knee and kill MK at 70%, hez da betssts.

Seriously tho, samus isnt good.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You sir, fail. When was the last time you ever been to a tourney? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ya gotta love how people ignore the important stuff for the opportunity to flame.

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah, i dunno samus is good but not THAT good, and to the guy who posted no priority? samus Fair probably has the most priority over any non sword wielding character.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Now that, is a secret...

Nah I won't be that mean. It's probably not going to work out, but if it does it might just break Samus. The idea is to use the newly discovered ISJ. This pretty much just allows you to preform any move that cancels on the ground like the Zair or the Fair like it was the Koopa Klaw. Meaning Infinite Jumping with the Zair. This makes the Zair come out much more rapidly.

Of course this is all theory at this point. It's very hard to do, though I've done it several times with Samus' Fair.
Huh, I've noticed numerous times that when I've zair spammed, Samus has, instead of landing, occasionally done an immediate double jump off the ground just like with Bowser and the Klaw. I thought it was just a random glitch. 'twill be interesting if it ends up being utilized.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Now that, is a secret...

The timing for ISJing a zair is super hard.. I don't think it's that applicable.. at least, compared to my hax0rz bawm trixxx

orintemple

Smash Lord
The ISJ is great once we figure out how to do it well. I mean, I believe people can do learn it. After some of the crazy 1 frame timing techniques that were in Melee that people could do near flawlesly, I don't see this being out of reach. The problem is wether or not it will truly be as useful as we think it is now. I was able to do the ISJ with Marth's Fair/Bair and Samus' Uair when I was trying last night. I don't see myself or 99.7% of the community being able to use this effectively in battle any time in the near future, but perhaps some day a ridiculously technical player will get it down.

Jasona

Smash Ace
lack of priority

no KO moves
no argument about the priority, but she is better off in the ko department than you might think. dair kills at less than 40 and i've killed people with the bair and charge blast below 100 several times. plus gimping is really easy with samus' zair and repeated dropping up+b from the ledge. she just keeps getting better. best? i don't know, i only fight one style of pit, but i think she can hold her own against any char. wishful thinking more than anything else.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
question

have you ever played brawl

lets begin

lack of priority

no KO moves

and snake is in the game
Wha? Come on. She has priority. Decent priority.

Also, I'm just ign'ant; walk me through how Snake is a counter.
I really gotta get to some tourneys.

Xyro77

As the best samus in texas and probly the entire south region.
Heres the F-ing truth.

Since the shielding system has been revamped= sheild pressure is not avalible. This is what is keeping samus very low.

Her ftilt and jab are GREAT but its just u cant use it as well since the shield system is horrible.

WD and L cancel gave her the mobily she needed in melee to keep up with the more speedy characters. in brawl this is gone.

UP+B in melee BROKE THROUGH attacks and SUCKED people in. in brawl u can stop samus UP+B with a single jab. not to mention it now doesnt suck u in. The only thing that is good about it......once u do get some one in it.....you are totaly safe from retaliation after words.

Missles hit the foe up............WTF is that!!!!!

Zair is AMAZING but when against a good metaknight or marth or pit or snake or fox or wolf.....they will stay in your face and u cant pull off zairs.

Nair has lost ALL of its melee glory. and i mean ALL.

Dair and Fair and Uair and Bair are all still f-ing awesome. Dtilt is too.

Bombs are cr@p now that they are on a timer.....

Although charge shot has lost alot of knock back and damage.....its still ok.

Up smash has always been trash in ever smash game. Down smash can kill but it hits upward(so stupid). F smash can still be tilted and it can kill so im still happy.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Up smash has always been trash in ever smash game. Down smash can kill but it hits upward(so stupid). F smash can still be tilted and it can kill so im still happy.

Samus U-Smash = Win. You just need to understand how to use it.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
i have seen it linked to some interesting stuff but i think that the use of up-smash is very situational.
This is a fighter, not a TCG. How the hell does situationality impact a move? You have a single static architecture - the moveset. It's not like you can put Usmash away to side in Marth's fair. :confused:

If the move has a use, it has a use. Let's figure it out.

Xyro77

Up-smash is a move that can only be used effectivly if the circumstances are right. Where as Zair can be used IN MANY Different situations.

on a side note. i dont play TCGs.... i cant even play "Go Fish" correctly

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
/falls out of his chair, kicking and laughing.

It's so easy to get an argument started. ^_^

Anyway... Xyro is right to the point Samus doesn't actually have what many of us would call an U-Smash. It's like calling Ness' yoyo attacks in Melee Smashes. However it's far from a situational move and is vital to Samus' metagame.

ADHD

Smash Hero
/falls out of his chair, kicking and laughing.

It's so easy to get an argument started. ^_^

Anyway... Xyro is right to the point Samus doesn't actually have what many of us would call an U-Smash. It's like calling Ness' yoyo attacks in Melee Smashes. However it's far from a situational move and is vital to Samus' metagame.
everything is debatable on this site. even spelling color -- colour

Xyro77

i would put that much faith in up-smash. Ive used it at times but i consider it one of the wors smashes in the game. But if you find it more usefull, then great.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Wha? Come on. She has priority. Decent priority.

Also, I'm just ign'ant; walk me through how Snake is a counter.
I really gotta get to some tourneys.
your obviously dont know what your talking about because samus barely has priority

im not saying snake is a counter im saying how can samus be the best if snake already is and btw he is a counter. dumb****

ADHD

Smash Hero
your obviously dont know what your talking about because samus barely has priority

im not saying snake is a counter im saying how can samus be the best if snake already is and btw he is a counter. dumb****
Way to be stupid, samus has advantages over snake, he's not a counter.

Top Bottom