• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Think the Patch made lvl 9 CPUs OP

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
So as the story goes…

I was trying out characters for any patch changes and I was like, "why not try it on the CPUs" placed a lvl 9 CPU random and Lucina comes out (The first one was peach that I used). So as I'm playing I couldn't help but noticed Lucina was power shielding majority of my hits (which is normal for CPU), but then I realized that she was perfectly spacing me with short hop dancing blade, tilts and bluffing me out (I got 2 stocked). When I was edge guarding I couldn't seem to get lucina let alone gimp her. When Lucina edgeguards me, she gives 2 ***** and jumps off the map if she knows she can get the kill (and if not I'm by the edge for a long time). So after losing I switch characters thinking it was a fluke and I kept losing until I picked pit, and I barely won.

Afterwards I picked random cpu again and now I was facing a Duck Hunt. Let me tell you that I have never have been zoned and spaced out so perfectly in my life, let alone I was shut down by a CPU's grab game. The Cpu doesn't even seem like it can be gimped so easily and smash DI's everything (Eg: I D Throw with Falco and the CPU is practically near the ground and away from me to really hit I'm with anything solid).

I also don't even want to talk about Lucario CPU 9.

I never in my life lost to a CPU on smash 4 patch can anyone just test this out and confirm that I am a scrub because I know for certain the CPU's AI got buffed lol.

Mjolnir/Hunter101

Smash Cadet
NNID
ryfennn
i feel that lv 8 cpus have gotten harder too-almost as hard to hit as what you describe, except i could still beat them. it took a lot more effort than before, though, at least i feel that way personally.
lv 9s seem like a nightmare now.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Lvl 9's have always been that way. They read your button inputs and respond on the frame. It's not good to practice on CPUs in general; it gives you a really poor idea of what works in a match and what doesn't.

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
I have noticed that CPUs are far smarter in Smash 4 than they were in Brawl, which makes sense. I doubt they would recode cpu behaviour in a patch though, unless there was a huge issue with them - also not sure how this could be confirmed, but it is a possibility I guess.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One thing is certain though. Very intelligent AI is what can make Classic on intensity 9.0, along with All-Star on Hard, very evil. And the fact that DLC characters are added onto All-Star mode just adds insult to injury for those who haven't completed the harder All-Star mode challenges beforehand.

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
One thing is certain though. Very intelligent AI is what can make Classic on intensity 9.0, along with All-Star on Hard, very evil. And the fact that DLC characters are added onto All-Star mode just adds insult to injury for those who haven't completed the harder All-Star mode challenges beforehand.
Very true. If only Nintendo released detailed patch notes, all this speculation isn't necessary haha.

vahnx

Smash Rookie
It's not good to practice on CPUs in general; it gives you a really poor idea of what works in a match and what doesn't.
Not really. I treat all opponents the same, I win some and I loose some, CPU or not.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you can't handle level 9, just go down.
You don't have a choice for the harder challenges though. You pretty much "have" to do intensity 9.0, since clearing Classic at intensity 9.0 without losing a single life is immune to Golden Hammers. At least the other two intensity 9.0 challenges can be Golden Hammered.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
do really people have trouble facing lv 9 CPU? I guess they are not exploiting the obvious weakness and predictable patterns that cpu have.
Some tips,
Most characters have problem facing projectile spam
since cpu spot dodge anything trick them to spot dodge a lagless move like a jab and then punish with a strong attack, they also try to dodge multihit moves and always get hit.
Cpu uses a lot of non safe moves, for example mario spam fireballs, marth approachs with fAir (you can perfect shield and punish), etc.
Don't go super aggressive against a CPU that doesn't work just be defensive and read patterns.

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
Level 9 CPU's have definitely gotten harder since the patch. I used to 4-stock them very often before the patch, and afterwards they're now taking 2 lives off of me before I finish them.
Additionally, where I could commonly defeat 2 level 9's teamed up against me, that simply isn't working out anymore since the patch. They're AI definitely improved, actually using combos and more appropriate move choices.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
You basically just can't fight CPUs like you can players. Their timing is too good. The AI in this game is significantly better than in past games, though. I really enjoy the challenge.

Top Bottom