• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think you're missing the point

thenewaol

Smash Rookie
you know you've seen them: the completely overused "characters that should have been in brawl" or "top 10 characters that should be in ssb 4". brawl has been out for more than a year now, but these requests show no sign of stopping. while we've all learned to sift through these videos/blog posts/forum posts just like any other internet nonsense, upon actually looking at what characters people generally suggest i was rather disappointed. the majority of lists and requests cry for the addition of yet MORE third party characters. master chief, kratos, gordon freeman, and cloud are but a few examples. I believe I've even seen someone suggest Barack Obama (hopefully jokingly).

as interesting as a party fighting game with an odd combination of characters from an assortment of both obscure and mainstream games sounds, I don't think that's the point of the Smash Bros. franchise. it was made with the idea of having nintendo's star characters fight and compete, all while maintaining a (seemingly) simple fighting system. now it appears that people want to scrap that concept completely and just make a fanservice fighter, that is, a game with no purpose other than to please rabid fanboys/girls who each want to play as their favorite character from their favorite video game.

I find this idea to be unappealing. Smash Bros. to me has always been about nintendo, and preferably it would stay that way. there's a reason that in the opening of SSBM, they flash the text "NINTENDO's all stars in...". Sure, it was cool that they put sonic and snake in brawl, but they only put in two third party characters in order to remind people that this was still nintendo's game. they way the majority of whiny internet posts and video's look, many people seem to be pushing for 10 or more third party characters. it would be very unfortunate to see Smash Bros. turn out like Mortal Kombat, with newer installments having a huge roster of characters you've never heard of or cared about.

What do you think? Should nintendo keep their game to themselves, or smear it around in third party characters?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
The inclusion of characters outside the nintendo franchise is stupid, and most likely won't happen.
Zomg Cl0ud, s0ra, riku@^!%! naruto!! omg.

No, those will never happen, if they ever do, it's going to be failure.
Sonic and snake actually have some backup to their additions to brawl.
Snake has been on the nes and snes, and I believe he had a game on the GC? Im not sure.

Sonic is from sega, and everyone knows that nintendo and sega are butt buddies now.
I believe they should just stick to their own characters right now.

Hate me for saying this, but some 3rd party characters definitely deserve to be in this game more than some of the random companies characters.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Barge pretty much summed it up.

Now we just wait for Hylian, Mic, or Youko to show up.
Maybe Buzz.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You think Gordon Freeman shouldn't be in SSB4?

*Crowbar'd*

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
They should just make a game called "Crush". It doesn't even matter what company makes it.
Then they can include all the third party characters (OMFG GENO KRYSTAL CLOUD SORA OMG OMG OMG), and no one will complain. =)

Geist

Smash Master
Snake is in because Hideo Kojima worked under Shigeru Miyamoto and had cited multiple nintendo games. Snake was originally supposed to be in melee, but couldn't because of technical problems.

Sonic is Sega, which has practically merged with nintendo, even though they're a 3rd party developer.

Then they can include all the third party characters (OMFG GENO KRYSTAL CLOUD SORA OMG OMG OMG), and no one will complain. =)
Krystal isn't technically a 3rd party character, because even she originally appeared in stafox adventures, which was developed by rare, she appeared in multiple other stafox games that were not, most notably assault, which was purely developed by nintendo. (unless you're talking about some other krystal)

That doesn't mean she should be in; that would be stupid.

GameyHarp

Smash Rookie
Whenever I play I always wish there was a bigger more varied cast but the truth is that I play 2-3 characters out of the 37 there are and it kind of puts things in perspective.

thenewaol

Smash Rookie
Morgan Freeman should be in smash.
i'm not sure how morgan freeman would activate a final smash...maybe by turning into God from Bruce Almighty? another question I've gotten from reading replies is this: where do the boundaries end? what are the qualifications for being a nintendo character? being created by miyamoto? just appearing in a nintendo franchise? appearing on a nintendo console (that's stretching it a bit)?

auroreon

Smash Ace
As these posts have suggested, nobody really makes threads for serious discussion of what characters should/will be in SSB. Its just fun to imagine silly characters in SSB and what they would be like.

Also, Mic_128 for SSB4.

Williaint

Smash Cadet
Characters outside the video game universe? Absolutely not. Even outside the Nintendo Universe is kinda iffy, so why would real people be a good idea?

Smudge

Smash Lord
Agreed with the first post.

The age old excuse of "f they've had a game on Nintendo they're eligible for Brawl" just doesn't cut it. The hint for me is in the name. "Brothers" as in even though there all fighting each other, they are brother from one section of the gaming industry.

Start adding in third party by the tens and thousands then you might as well call it Super Smash People Who Met Once. Doesn't exactly roll of the tounge does it?

Top Bottom