• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Thought Smash 4 Lv. 9s were Good...

Do you think training with Lv. 9s is Good or Bad for you?

• Total voters

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
Since my Wifi connection is terrible I hate playing on For Glory, so I've been forced to train with Lv. 9 computers... At first I couldn't get use to them auto-reading all of my moves, but after a while I started learning safe attacking options and true combos. Then I started winning pretty convincingly so to make it a little more difficult I started enabling random customs and gear for the computers which makes a lot of them pretty broken... (recovering health, increased speed, increased knock-back and damage ect...) But this helped my adaptability skills, making it easier for me to learn new playing styles.

In conclusion, after about 2 months I started doing things like this to Lv.9s..(Watch link)

http://youtu.be/51mM3kUHyI0

Ps: Playing against Lv. 9 computer is good for learning safe attacking options and true combos, but it will not allow you to practice "reading" which is vital to high level play! If you are hoping to reach pro level Smash, your best bet is to build up a plethora of training partners.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Depends on your goal. If you want to go to tourneys, then don't play lvl 9s. you will learn bad habits. They also use patterns which allow you to predict their movements. People also constantly adapt and use new tech which cpus currently don't. Baiting is a different animal too.

If it's your only option then go for it, but overall you wont gain much.

D

Deleted member 269706

Level 9 CPUs have some unfair advantages going on...for example, they will flawlessly airdodge when they're able to, so getting mix-ups and baiting out airdodges isn't possible. Similarly, they're able to powershield and/or spotdodge with precision. Being able to beat them means that you understand how CPUs work, but in the end it won't really benefit you near as much as playing real people. That's not to say it can't help you learn particular strategies, but the CPUs are very predictable, and a lot of what you learn playing them won't apply to real players.

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
Depends on your goal. If you want to go to tourneys, then don't play lvl 9s. you will learn bad habits. They also use patterns which allow you to predict their movements. People also constantly adapt and use new tech which cpus currently don't. Baiting is a different animal too.

That definitely makes since and explains why I haven't been playing as well as I want to in tournaments:/

The Jaeger

Smash Rookie
Level 9 CPUs have some unfair advantages going on...for example, they will flawlessly airdodge when they're able to, so getting mix-ups and baiting out airdodges isn't possible. Similarly, they're able to powershield and/or spotdodge with precision. Being able to beat them means that you understand how CPUs work, but in the end it won't really benefit you near as much as playing real people. That's not to say it can't help you learn particular strategies, but the CPUs are very predictable, and a lot of what you learn playing them won't apply to real players.
Very true.. I'm trying to build up a group of people to play with. I see that you are a Captain Falcon main, so if you think that you are at the tournament level, I would definitely enjoy doing some dittos with you sometime!

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
That definitely makes since and explains why I haven't been playing as well as I want to in tournaments:/
You'd be better off just working on your execution and tech then in training mode on a dummy.

D

Deleted member 269706

Very true.. I'm trying to build up a group of people to play with. I see that you are a Captain Falcon main, so if you think that you are at the tournament level, I would definitely enjoy doing some dittos with you sometime!
I don't know if I'd call myself tournament level, I don't have a LOT of experience, but I'd definitely enjoy going a few rounds with you.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace

People do constantly adapt, this is true. But in general, against most opponents, I would say that in a 2 stock, 2o3 most opponents will continue making the same bad moves and mistakes throughout the match, kind of like a computer.

It takes a real pro to be able to completely be aware, and adapt and change strategy mid-match, much less mid stock or game.

(playing devil's advocate obviously. yes, cpus can build up a lot of bad habits....)

ewItsBoo

Smash Cadet
If you have good Smash partners in your area use them, CPU's don't know tech/how to adapt to tech and For Glory is...well....y'know.....

If you don't have anyone in your area, try Anther's ladder to fight people online that are close to you.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
People do constantly adapt, this is true. But in general, against most opponents, I would say that in a 2 stock, 2o3 most opponents will continue making the same bad moves and mistakes throughout the match, kind of like a computer.

It takes a real pro to be able to completely be aware, and adapt and change strategy mid-match, much less mid stock or game.

(playing devil's advocate obviously. yes, cpus can build up a lot of bad habits....)
Yes, but those are usually the not very good people. If you to tourneys i would assume your goal is to win, not just beat the bad people lol

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Train up a few amiibos and then swap with friends. They're way different than Lv 9s

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
just curious what you guys think is the strongest lv 9, so far Mario on a stage like mii verse is BY FAR the best lv9.. he's a freaking MONSTER! anyone else find a lv9 that stands above the rest?

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
just curious what you guys think is the strongest lv 9, so far Mario on a stage like mii verse is BY FAR the best lv9.. he's a freaking MONSTER! anyone else find a lv9 that stands above the rest?
:4lucina: is easily the best CPU

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Bottom line: Level 9's are good for practicing frame traps and true combos but not reading/reacting or adaptability.

Last edited:
Top Bottom