• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Want To Hit That: the Ice Climber moveset discussion - now discussing d-smash.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
*did not steal this idea from the Pokémon Trainer boards*

Ratings are given on a scale from 1 to 10, with + or - to specify further. Miscellaneous is used to describe any special notes outside of the main use(s).

Now discussing the dash attack.

Jab attack
Popo: 3%, 4%
Nana: 2%, 2%
Range: Average
Knockback: Low
Uses: Clearing, combo interruption.
Description: The Ice Climbers swing their hammers, then back. This attack comes out fast, and gives you some breathing room. Best used defensively.
Misc.: If your Climbers are desynched, you can jab once and use the other Climber to grab during hitstun.
Rating: 6+
F-tilt
Popo: 10%
Nana: 7%
Range: High (second only to Blizzard)
Knockback: Medium
Uses: Spacing, primarily.
Description: The Climbers swing their hammers forward in a horizontal arc. When you use this move, chances are you're fighting a character with good range. It's one of your best moves to punish improper spacing.
Misc: This move can be angled up and down. It's also somewhat easy to desynch from it.
Rating: 6
U-tilt
Popo: 12%
Nana: 6%
Range: Average (only hits above them)
Knockback: Medium-low
Uses: Damage racking, stopping approaches from the air.
Description: The Climbers hold up their hammers and spin them. It'll interrupt many aerial attacks and rack up a good bit of damage. It can also chain into itself, u-smash and u-air.
Misc: At low percentages, this has potential to lead into a grab.
Rating: 8+
D-tilt
Popo: 6%
Nana: 5%
Knockback: Medium
Uses: Gimping, edgeguarding
Description: The Climbers swing their hammers along the ground. It'll semi-spike your opponent with average power. Against some characters, this means KOs in the 40% range. Freakin' A.
Misc.: This is the Ice Climbers' only semi-spike. Remember that if your opponent recovers from below, this will go over their heads - literally. Incidentally, this is SoPo's most reliable KO attack if followed up with edgeguarding or edgehogging.
Rating: 8
Dash attack
Popo: 6%
Nana: 4%
Range: High
Knockback: Medium-low
Uses: Setting opponents up for juggling, breaking brickwalls
Description: The Climbers swing their hammers upward during their dash. There's quite a speed boost when you use your dash attack, and it's often enough to surprise your opponents. This pops them into the air at a mostly vertical trajectory, and leads into u-airs that way. However, if used too frequently, it's easily punished.
Misc.: This move has surprising priority, so it can be used to break many jab combos easily and set the opponent up for a change in pace - f-tilt works better for breaking their wall, but it just knocks the opponent away instead of letting you actually counter. It's also a lot less laggy than a running u-smash.
Rating: 6-
F-smash
Popo: 12~18%
Nana: 9~14%
Knockback: High
Uses: Killing, damage racking, punishing
Description: The Ice Climbers draw their hammers back and swing them in an arc over their heads to the ground. This move will probably be used for surprise kills and punishing more than anything else. Many opponents will actually fear your u-smash and grabs so much that they'll stay "out of range". This move is the perfect solution at high percentages.
Misc.: This hits behind you, if your opponent is close and large enough. Knockback in increased when you hit with the head, rather than the handle.
Rating: 8
U-smash
Popo: 11~15%
Nana: 9~13%
Range: Average-high
Knockback: Very high
Uses: Killing, anti-air defence
Description: The Climbers swing their hammers in an overhead arc. This is arguably the Ice Climbers' best kill move on-stage, and it's usually your best choice when finishing a chaingrab. If you're playing a game without many chaingrabs, definitely save this move to avoid it going stale. An exception can be made for strong aerial characters like Peach and Jigglypuff: against those, go all out with u-smash and use f-smash as your finisher.
Misc.: When finishing your chaingrabs, try to position Nana so that she can b-throw the opponent into your charged u-smash. This move has a hitbox on both sides of the Ice Climbers.
Rating: 9+
D-smash
Popo: 12~16%
Nana: 8~12%
Range:
Knockback:
Uses:
Description: The Ice Climbers sweep their hammers across the floor. Hits on both sides.
Misc.:
Rating:

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Our jab is okay, I use it as a GTFO move and it works pretty well, the knockback of the jab is good enough for them not to come back.

We can't do crazy stuff like grab after the first jab... So that blows :*(

It's decent :3

Dev2000

Smash Lord
our Jab is pretty good its decent
its useful to get people away from you just like just no one said i agree with him 100%

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Jabs are also good for the ICs against the people who knows how to spotdodge well since their jabs are pretty quick and has decent range. For example, R.O.B. Sometimes when he spotdodges, we know he would use his d-smash. So in order to prevent that, use their jab to hit him after he spotdodges. For its priority? Uhm, maybe an equal amount..

Their f-tilt is okay... IMO for me it's just laggy and it's small ranged.

U-tilt's good; racking up damage but don't leave yourself open. It's good against heavyweights or your opponent above you.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Its a pretty safe move to use, especially as sopo.
A great "gtfo" move as stated before, couldn't have worded it better myself.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Range: Decent for a jab. Short range, but since IC has a lack of range to begin with, it makes it average.

Priority: Umm... It's a jab, it's quick, and can interrupt. If Nana is close, I think jabbing the safest way to break an opponent's grab on any of the ICs.

Knockback: It's like Peach's jab combo. the first hit has hitstun, while the second hit has knockback. It's a jab, so you can't expect much.

Uses: Get off me... Stringing short-range combos... Hmm, is it possible to initialize one jab and then grab? Because I know we Peaches do that, so can IC's too? Also, Can someone test out if this works? When desynced, is it possible to jab with Popo, and then initialize a Pivot grab with Nana during the hitstun?

Rating: Average at best, though when used for grab-game, it's quite ridiculous. 6.8/10

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Jabs are your main combo breakers along with nair. They come out at frame 3 so they are pretty good. Should only be used defensively and only if the opponent is all over you. Rating should be a 6.

F-tilt is pretty good. It's the longest disjoint hitbox from you besides Blizzard and can give fair knockback. Uses are to space a ground hit if the enemy is just beyond your smash's range. This makes it quite a good spacing tool. I would rate this fairly high but not high.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
i didint used to use jab much til i played alot more yoshi, although it works fundementally the same(first is stun then knockback) our grabbing range isint that great so its better to use defensevely.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
UpTilt to reverse grab still works sometimes.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Jab is a good move to smack people away from you with. and if you time it right, you can hitlag desynch out of the second hit. The timing's pretty tough though. Not NEARLY as good as the Melee jab though where jab-cancels with IC lead into a Dsmash or a grab. Not to mention, you can't wake up people that fail to tech with it anymore.

Ftilt it another move that's good to space with. I dunno the frame data but I wanna say it comes out on like frame 5 or 6 and has really good range. You can desynch out of it fairly easily.

Both of these moves can be used when on climber gets grabbed.

Utilt is a really awesome move but it's nowhere near as good as it was in melee simply do the the mechanics in Brawl. On the surface, it's the exact same as it was in Melee. relatively quick startup and cool down, lingering hitbox that hits multiple times. Good priority.

However, the loss of wavedashing hurts this move alot though, making alot more situational than it used to be. In melee, you could slide in with this move, essentially creating a long, stretchy hitbox, basically challenging any SH/FJ aerial approaches. Not so much anymore.

Anyways the lingering hitbox can be used it you predict someone's gonna airdodge into the ground. At low percentages, this leads into grabs and at med-high percentages, it leadis into Uairs.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Dtilt is SoPo's most reliable KO move alone.
Works great to get an opponent offstage and follow up with fair offstage(saving the secondjump for recovery).

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I actually find it's very useful for edgeguarding as well. Especially against the likes of Bowser and Donkey Kong.

I've also hit Meta Knight out of his Shuttle Loop with this. When he tried another one, he fell just short of the stage. That was awesome XD

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I actually find it's very useful for edgeguarding as well. Especially against the likes of Bowser and Donkey Kong.

I've also hit Meta Knight out of his Shuttle Loop with this. When he tried another one, he fell just short of the stage. That was awesome XD
CheapKOing a Metaknight?!!!!!, do you have any clues on the damage % on the MK? This sounds like something that needs to more looked at...

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is SoPo's most reliable KO move alone.
Works great to get an opponent offstage and follow up with fair offstage(saving the secondjump for recovery).
I was just going to say this.
Use dtilt against characters with bad recoveries and follow up with an edgehog or with an offstage gimp (risky, though).

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I find that this should only be used as an out of shield punish on the ground when someone hits your shield while approaching to take advantage of it's fast start up though its cooldown is enough to punish if it was used on the offensive making this an optimal punishing move. Because Dtilt hits over the edge, not around it, where people can still aim at the ledge without fear of getting hit going toward and being on it, it doesn't work too well as an edgeguarding and can leave you open for ledge attacks if they grab it while you were dtilting.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
CheapKOing a Metaknight?!!!!!, do you have any clues on the damage % on the MK? This sounds like something that needs to more looked at...
40%-ish, I think... Mind you, if the Meta Knight had used Drill Rush or Tornado, he'd have probably made it back. I'd not attach too much value to it, the guy just panicked =p

Smasher89

Smash Lord
40%-ish, I think... Mind you, if the Meta Knight had used Drill Rush or Tornado, he'd have probably made it back. I'd not attach too much value to it, the guy just panicked =p
Ok, might only work as a mixup then I guess, but it´s nice that it´s got priority over superknights metaup-b ^^

Kage Me

Smash Ace
If you have your opponent at a low %, and you're holding them, what added value could such a mindgame have over a guaranteed 30% (and potential death) by a chaingrab?

A N D R E

Smash Cadet
Dash attack is just fine. If you ever noticed... they kinda jump out REALLY far when they dash attack. It is a high range attack and the speed of the dash attack is faster than the actual dash. It's a great, sometimes unexpected ground approach that isn't a grab.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I would say that their dash attack isn't as good as the other choices of approach that they have (if you even are supposed to approach on the ground like this...)

If they shield it, the shield push puts them at the optimum range for punishing with almost any move, even if you dash attacked right in front of them in an attempt to get across them.

I would rate this a 4 since it doesn't do much damage and that there are better ways of getting the opponent in the air.

Also, for this moveset guide, you might want to consider putting in tips on how to use this and some other facts about the moves that may help people decide what move to use during gameplay.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Their dash attack is pretty good because of the surprise factor, and the fact that it comes out so quick. The problem is that they have better options usually...

Most people don't shield against Ice Climbers that much because of the fear of being grabbed, so you don't normally have to worry about them shielding your dash attack, I guess.

Dash attack to Uair works I guess.

A N D R E

Smash Cadet
Most people don't shield against Ice Climbers that much because of the fear of being grabbed, so you don't normally have to worry about them shielding your dash attack, I guess.
This is a very strong point, and is the reason good players will sometimes be hit by the dash attack even more than they get grabbed.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Their dash attack is okay, I mean it's good for a surprise attack, as well it keeps people in the air for a Uair on them, it's average but I find it kinda sluggish if you know what I mean :3

D

Deleted member

Their dash attack is okay, I mean it's good for a surprise attack, as well it keeps people in the air for a Uair on them, it's average but I find it kinda sluggish if you know what I mean :3
I've always thought of dash attack as inferior to hyphen smash. I only use dash attack over hyphen smash when I'm afraid of getting shieldgrabbed (read: almost never).

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I've always thought of dash attack as inferior to hyphen smash. I only use dash attack over hyphen smash when I'm afraid of getting shieldgrabbed (read: almost never).
hyphen smashes are predictable and have terrible end lag. any good player will spot dodge/perfect shield the hyphen and then punish. its not good to do hyphen smashes as they're easy to predict and even easier to punish.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
@hyphen smash spam: Not only are they slow, but it also stales one of your best killing moves.

We should start discussing more important moves xD

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I'm usually more successful with a hyphen smash from Sopo than from both Climbers. I can never really on it to kill, though =/
Dash attack seems to have more range and speed than a hyphen smash. It can usually be followed up with some uairs and what not. It usually hits, because your opponent will avoid shielding in order to not get grabbed. Dash attack sometimes hits an early spotdodge. I don't use it too often, though =/ I really don't think there's much to say about this move...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Forward smash.

This move is too many times abused by people when they are trying to rack up damage. Though it does a fair job at that, dealing about 30% if both Ice Climber connect, it has punishable ending lag since it is easily shielded while also being shortranged. I would rate this a 8 for simply being both a kill move and a damage racker but I find that it is a better kill move. F-tilt can be used at many of the times someone misses the smash from lack of spacing.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Sopo dthrow -> fsmash

Does fthrow have different hitboxes? Sometimes it feels like it has horrid knockback and other times it feels like it's a real smash attack.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
charged fsmashes are excellent for spacing in general

usmash: the best KO move, don't use it unless you KNOW it will connect, because if you miss you are in easy punish range. (i guess this is obvious)

but that's what usmash is. obvious.

Top Bottom