• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wasn't going to main Pokemon Trainer until...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I saw Ikki's video! Charizard looked so strong, Squirtle so fast, and Ivysaur looked sturdy...Switching would be challenging and fun, and since I'm going to main Olimar, I'll be used to strategy. Pokemon Trainer'll be my 2nd main!

IllidR

Smash Champion
I saw Ikki's video! Charizard looked so strong, Squirtle so fast, and Ivysaur looked sturdy...Switching would be challenging and fun, and since I'm going to main Olimar, I'll be used to strategy. Pokemon Trainer'll be my 2nd main!
Well.. it's completely different strategy for Olimar and Pokemon Trainer, so that really won't be of much use to you. But Ikki's video definitely did make me love Pokemon Trainer anew. Charizard's Up-Air KOed his opponent at like 55%, that was INSANE. I personally loved squirtly the most though.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Yah, I chose Pokemon Trainer from the start and now I'm extremely happy after watching that video. ^^

FrozenHero

Smash Rookie
I liked Pokemon Trainer since we first found out he'd be in Brawl last August. I don't think I will use Olimar very much though, he may be the most unique but he also looks to be the worst. Pokemon Trainer is far more likely to be my main

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
You serious? I think that Olimar does not look like the "worst" by any stretch of the imagination. He may not be the best, but he will take a different type of play-style to play as him correctly.

Anyway, can someone post the link to Ikki's video, i cant find it anymore.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Did any one else find it odd that he started with Charizaed in the video? I thought it went Squirtle > Ivysaur > Charizard.

Rosadiddly

Smash Cadet
:\ I think you should main whoever is your favorite character! And not because he/she looks like they're gonna kick *** in the game. I'm choosing PT because I love the character :p

Black/Light

Smash Master
Main who ever you like! It's your money and you can main someone out of just likeing how they play. And if you can effectively main Olimar (who is said to have been made for advance players) than Im pretty sure you can catch on to PT ;)

sfxfly

Smash Rookie
Did any one else find it odd that he started with Charizaed in the video? I thought it went Squirtle > Ivysaur > Charizard.
I believe you start off with a random pokemon at the start of the match. In this match, PT began starting with charizard.

Skeet11

Smash Cadet
I honestly thought PT would be an awesome character the second I saw him announced. Although I know I'll main Sonic as I've been a fan since Sonic 1 on genesis, PT looks like he could be my 2nd. Although then again so does Link (my SSB and SSBM main)and Olimar... and like 5 other characters lol.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
PT doesn't start with a random poke , you chose which one you'll be using first in the char selection screen.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
If you don't choose one, it's random though.
Can you not chose one? The only way i think of ti is waiting till the time runs out....and then it should just chose the one the cursor is on then you hit A.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Well, when you choose the character, the game is set up in default as random. If you wanna start out with squirtle, then you have to click on his icon before you press start (or whatever the confirmation button is).

Kami

Smash Cadet
Can you not chose one? The only way i think of ti is waiting till the time runs out....and then it should just chose the one the cursor is on then you hit A.
By default you don't choose one and the name will read "Pokemon Trainer". If you pick one, it will say the pokemon's name.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't going to main PT (along with sheik) when I realized the pokemon rotate after each stock even if you pick one to start out with. I assumed it would be like sheik/zelda, when you lose a stock you'd still be using the same pokemon. But now that I know the pokemon fatigue when using the same one too long it is a little better since if you spam the same moves, the attacks will diminish in damage and knock back.

But the question is, if you spam squirtle's fair, then you switch to ivysaur, will her fair still have diminished damage + knockback? If it completely resets after the switch I'll most likely main PT, but I haven't seen anyone discuss this connection.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
I wasn't going to main PT (along with sheik) when I realized the pokemon rotate after each stock even if you pick one to start out with. I assumed it would be like sheik/zelda, when you lose a stock you'd still be using the same pokemon. But now that I know the pokemon fatigue when using the same one too long it is a little better since if you spam the same moves, the attacks will diminish in damage and knock back.

But the question is, if you spam squirtle's fair, then you switch to ivysaur, will her fair still have diminished damage + knockback? If it completely resets after the switch I'll most likely main PT, but I haven't seen anyone discuss this connection.
I love the idea that PT needs to rotate Pokemon in order to sustain the battle. If you look at all of the Pokemon then you can find that they would all be great characters on there own. But if your like me and like to use every one on the roster, then they will get boring very quickly. That is why having all of them as one would be really cool.

btw i would have thought that Ivysaurs fair would have increased since he is more heavy than Squirtle. Heavier characters tend to knock back more right?

infernovia

Smash Ace
In card's ultimate guide for everything PT related, except perhaps Ivysaur's gender, we found out that the knockback is set to maximum after a pokemon change. So full knockback, full damage after a change, so everything is set like you were KOed.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
that seems logical, as if you were KOed. Almost as if you can restart and not have to lose stock. one of the many other reasons y PT is a great character

naruto180

Smash Rookie
For me I think PT is awesome he is my second main(Toon Link is my first, and Diddy Kong is my third) and while fighting with PT I've notice that it does take some skill to use him, because of the learning curve he has, but it ok cause he rocks once you get use to him.

jalued

Smash Lord
u mihgt have a problem with that though, since then u'll have 4 mains, 3 of whihc all have to be up to the same standered...PT is the slowest character to fully master

Top Bottom