• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't think I can campaign, It's not that I feel Spirits is that much of a deconfirm status but more so that stuff like the Piranha Plant kind of broke me from taking speculation for the rest of this game seriously. How does one predict what comes next after freakin' Piranha Plant? o.O

I'm not even mad, it's just bizarre.

If someone else wants to try starting the campaign though, by all means. I just don't have any solid confidence of Tails being in the coming fighter pack. I'll hope for it, but I'm not going to count on it.
The plant is FREE DLC. I mean, Verge makes a good point to say that it was silly to think that SE would give us a character that wasn't DLC. Highly implying that a lot of these DLC characters are going to be from 3rd parties. I'm sorry but they aren't going to sell DLC if they keep pumping out obscure 1st party characters like the plant. I'd be very shocked if the majority let alone all of the DLC wasn't 3rd party.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Who knows, maybe if DLC sells well, we'll get a "second season" beyond the five? (Though, let's not get our hopes up too high for that)

A lot of highly requested characters bit the dust here. Shadow, Isaac, even Skull Kid if you check the website. I imagine all the fighters and assists probably have spirits you can collect, too, just like with trophies, so I'm feeling decently good about Tails' chances if, IF Sonic can get another rep at all. Big if... I think Sakurai low-key hates Sonic. I mean, why don't we have a second rep YET? Shadow would have been so easy, after all... Instead Dark Samus? When Ridley was already added?

What do we think about the odds for Tails in DLC if his Mii costume returns? That's what I'm wondering. Would having a costume in the base game deconfirm him? I'm not sure what to root for there...

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I wouldn't rule out Tails as DLC just yet, K. Rool got a spirit (in his Captain form which is part of his moveset), so there's hope yet. But with only 5 DLC characters, at least for now, it will be a tight race.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
I'm Just GLAD Shadow is Finally out of the way!
No Way i"m losing hope now!
#TailsForDLC lol.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Also Issac and Shadow's assist moves got upgraded
hence why it took so long.
I Said this Yesterday about Issac! x3

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
So...it seems we survived Doomsday!

We didn't get Decomfiemed, Shadow has become an Assist Trophy, we did pretty well so far...but we did bite the dust, you know, being dead and all, but so did King K Rool, so we survived that to...

That's a Wrap Boi's, see ya next week yo.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
So...it seems we survived Doomsday!

We didn't get Decomfiemed, Shadow has become an Assist Trophy, we did pretty well so far...but we did bite the dust, you know, being dead and all, but so did King K Rool, so we survived that to...

That's a Wrap Boi's, see ya next week yo.
Well, I mean, if you watch the Adventure mode cutscene, looks like EVERYONE died but Kirby. (Mario & Luigi died AGAIN lol ^^; )

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm still gonna support Tails of course. We just don't know yet about Spirit upgrades at all.

If Tails does become one of the DLC fighters. He has to come with a stage and music. Though that's pretty easy enough. Either place in Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2, or bring in a Sonic Mania stage. And as for music he comes with? None other then his I Believe In Myself theme and/or more tunes from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Just keep in mind though that the inclusion of Piranha Plant just has the Smash Speculator in me just broken at the moment xD

I will never complain about a Dark Pit-esque inclusion again. xD

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
I'm still gonna support Tails of course. We just don't know yet about Spirit upgrades at all.

If Tails does become one of the DLC fighters. He has to come with a stage and music. Though that's pretty easy enough. Either place in Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2, or bring in a Sonic Mania stage. And as for music he comes with? None other then his I Believe In Myself theme and/or more tunes from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Just keep in mind though that the inclusion of Piranha Plant just has the Smash Speculator in me just broken at the moment xD

I will never complain about a Dark Pit-esque inclusion again. xD
King K Rool and Wii Fit Trainer were Also Spirits! but even then i doubt it would Affect Tails Chances!
He's not an assist nor is he gonna be a boss either(That goes to Potentially Eggman)

And i honestly Agree with you on those stage Choices.
Tho Mania Music would be DOPE AF, I'm surprised it's not present
currently.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Speaking of music, there apparently IS unlockable music in Ultimate, so there is a chance for more new Sonic tunes than previously expected! Man, it'd be awesome to get some actual new remixes ^^

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
It wouldn't surprise me if all of the playable characters actually had Spirits since they all turned to dust in the trailer. Maybe they just haven't shown them off yet. They may be the only ones with original artwork too since these are essentially what's replacing trophies, which all playable characters had in previous games. In any case, I don't think seeing Tails's spirit disconfirms the possibility of him becoming a DLC character. If anything the fact that they showed off his spirit portrait so prominently in the shot of its reveal kinda shows that Sakurai knows he's a pretty popular character.

I think it's likely that most of the 5 DLC slots will probably be 3rd parties after Piranha Plant, so I think he still has a legitimate shot. He pretty much has no competition now unless you want to argue Eggman, but Sakurai always chooses the secondary character before the villain or rival character. Which we saw again with Shadow still being an Assist. He didn't make it before Tails even though it would have been easy and many fans would have loved it. I personally don't see Eggman or Metal Sonic as competition. Tails is the only option left for an additional Sonic rep.

SonicMario

Smash Master
So here's an interesting note. There were four character in Smash 4 that were Mii costumes in Smash 4 of course. Akira, Jacky, Tails, and Knuckles. Virtua Fighter and Sonic.

With all the new things now. Here's their status in Ultimate:

Akira - Assist Trophy
Jacky - Nothing (But Akira’s the Main character so…)
Knuckles - Assist Trophy
Tails - Spirit, still not completely deconfirmed maybe?

It all depends if Spirits really aren't a deconfirmation of any kind for potential newcomers. Jacky is also missing thus far, but Akira is the main character of Virtua Fighter I presume. So Jacky isn't getting playable if Akira isn't. So if there's a mii costume upgrade for a Sega character. It has to be Tails. Heck I may even say Tails is the only potential Sega DLC character other then maybe Arle Nadja. But I'm not sure Arle Nadja has the worldwide popularity. (Then again, they are at some point in time selling a PIRANHA PLANT as DLC for those who can't get the game before the end of January next year. So who knows heh)

Tails is possible but I wouldn't say he's a frontrunner. It does help to have so much potential competition struck down. But it still might not be enough in the end. And we should make peace in that possibility. I'm not saying give up though, just make sure not to get too ahead of ourselves and expect Tails. With what could be only 5 spots, it's going to be tight. And we don't know if there will be a Season 2. Because Sakurai might want to end it at 6 all brand-new DLC fighters so he can take his well-deserved break heh.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
So here's an interesting note. There were four character in Smash 4 that were Mii costumes in Smash 4 of course. Akira, Jacky, Tails, and Knuckles. Virtua Fighter and Sonic.

Akira - Assist Trophy
Knuckles - Assist Trophy

It all depends if Spirits really aren't a deconfirmation of any kind for potential newcomers. Jacky is also missing thus far, but Akira is the main character of Virtua Fighter I presume. So Jacky isn't getting playable if Akira isn't. So if there's a mii costume upgrade for a Sega character. It has to be Tails. Heck I may even say Tails is the only potential Sega DLC character other then maybe Arle Nadja. But I'm not sure Arle Nadja has the worldwide popularity. (Then again, they are at some point in time selling a PIRANHA PLANT as DLC for those who can't get the game before the end of January next year. So who knows heh)

Tails is possible but I wouldn't say he's a frontrunner. It does help to have so much potential competition struck down. But it still might not be enough in the end. And we should make peace in that possibility. I'm not saying give up though, just make sure not to get too ahead of ourselves and expect Tails. With what could be only 5 spots, it's going to be tight. And we don't know if there will be a Season 2. Because Sakurai might want to end it at 6 all brand-new DLC fighters so he can take his well-deserved break heh.
Lloyd still hasn't gotten anything so he could probably get something as well.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman

Akira - Assist Trophy
Knuckles - Assist Trophy

Again, I think Spirits are this game's form of trophies. In Smash 4, Mewtwo and Lucas both had trophies, before they were DLC. Not only that but existing characters like King. Rool, Wii Fit Trainer and Kirby all have their own form of Spirits too.
I doubt this majorly affects Tails' chances. And considering the fact that Spirits, is replacing trophies that means, characters like Eggman will get one too.
Lloyd still hasn't gotten anything so he could probably get something as well.
I am really surprised Namco still hasn't gotten a second representation since they've been helping to develop Smash 4 and Ultimate.
And I can count a ton of fighters they could use like Klonoa, Heihachi(Tekken), Nightmare(Soul Calibur), Agumon(Digimon), Dig Dug.
Just give poor Namco something already. Konami's gotten 32 tracks for Castlevania and in general, 3 fighters, 2 Assist Trophies and 2 stages.
And we all know what's been going happening with Konami recently, with all of the Kojima stuff.
And again Namco's been helping out Sakurai a lot, so give us some Namco reps already.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
There are probably a lot of these spirit stickers. My guess is over 1,000. Sakurai hinted at there being a lot to collect in the Direct. I doubt that any of the DLC characters chosen won't also have spirit portraits already in the game. Unless they purposely held them off for DLC since it seems the DLC characters were decided even before Xenoblade 2's announcement as stated by Sakurai in the Direct which is why Rex couldn't make it if I understand correctly. If they held back spirit portraits then it would probably make it easier to narrow down which characters have a legitimate shot at a DLC slot, and I doubt they would try to make that obvious.

And if they really did put aside characters for DLC that long in advance I would assume that, like Smash 4, many of these characters will probably be 3rd party characters. If Shadow remained as an Assist along with Knuckles upgrading to Assist I could imagine a scenario where they held back Tails to make him one of the planed DLC characters. I think the 5 DLC characters after Piranha Plant are going to be bigger sellers than the Plant itself, which is obviously included to be a joke character. I'm almost certain that Piranha was meant to be included in the base game, but they probably didn't have enough time and had to cut a corner somewhere so they decided to stop developing the least exciting original character and hold him off as early free DLC. That's just my hunch. In the end I think there's still a case to be made for Tails being a potential DLC candidate, along with other sought after 3rd party characters such as Banjo and Geno. Just some thoughts and speculation on my part to think about.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
I think someone said that Eggman was a spirit on the Website...well...he is definitely there...

15411526457581057889436.jpg

My Best guess is that he's a boss, so if that is correct, then we definitely have no competition in the DLC Campaign (Sonic Wise), What do you all think?

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
At the end of the day,
I'm just happy Tails is now
a canidate, its not a lock,
but he has a chance!

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think all the characters that weren't confirmed to be playable, assists, or bosses at this point are in exactly the same place they were before the direct. We just now have a more clear limit on the number of remaining characters... and a year-long wait for them, too :/

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Since Tails is a spirit he can’t be a DLC fighter.
Nah, that's false. Characters in the game already have spirits as well so I doubt it. Though this doesn't increase his chances.
If spirits made characters exempt from DLC, then that would basically mean there is no DLC.

Goku would literally be the only DLC character if that were the case.

Last edited:

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Hey, SonicMario, if you want, I can work on the Twitter Campaign? I'll try and work with other communities for assistance, and try to pick some Shadow Supporters on the way, what do ya say?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hey, SonicMario, if you want, I can work on the Twitter Campaign? I'll try and work with other communities for assistance, and try to pick some Shadow Supporters on the way, what do ya say?
Sure go on ahead, by all means you can very well try to start one.

I'm just not too confident in Tails happening though I'll certainly have a little hope in the back of my mind. Though I think Tails really only has a chance if there's a Season 2 of DLC. Since I'm not very confident in being one of the 5 in the fighters pass. There's already talk that a Square Enix character and Steve from Minecraft might be our first two DLC characters. And also apparently a character from a mobile game that's SUPER popular in Japan right now but not as much in the west with Granblue. And if all three are true. That leaves only 2 spots.

Also after Isaac being passed over despite over a decade of support. I'm not sure a campaign will even really matter. Tails will be DLC if Sega and Sakurai wants Tails to be DLC that's kind of been made clear to me now after yesterday's direct.

Not trying to be a negative nancy though, I'm just putting this all in perspective that with every character back and the limited number of DLC spots.

Tails got a Mii costume though and that's already indicated so much upgrades of character. I didn't even think Akira was going to get any kind of upgrade but he did. The Smash 4 Tails costume right now is our only thread of any real hope here. Because being a Spirit doesn't seem like a huge upgrade in comparison to characters that were costumes that became assists or fighters. If you must campaign, reminding people of the Mii costume might be the thing to point out. Heck, we may want to cheer for Geno being the Square Enix character (As well as knocking down the argument that spirits can't become fighters) because that would indicate Mii costume upgrades to full-fledged fighters still matter into the DLC period. Though I think it's probably going to be Sora instead.

Last edited:

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Sure go on ahead, by all means you can very well try to start one.

I'm just not too confident in Tails happening though I'll certainly have a little hope in the back of my mind. Though I think Tails really only has a chance if there's a Season 2 of DLC. Since I'm not very confident in being one of the 5 in the fighters pass. There's already talk that a Square Enix character and Steve from Minecraft might be our first two DLC characters. And also apparently a character from a mobile game that's SUPER popular in Japan right now but not as much in the west with Granblue. And if all three are true. That leaves only 2 spots.

Also after Isaac being passed over despite over a decade of support. I'm not sure a campaign will even really matter. Tails will be DLC if Sega and Sakurai wants Tails to be DLC that's kind of been made clear to me now after yesterday's direct.

Not trying to be a negative nancy though, I'm just putting this all in perspective that with every character back and the limited number of DLC spots.

Tails got a Mii costume though and that's already indicated so much upgrades of character. I didn't even think Akira was going to get any kind of upgrade but he did. The Smash 4 Tails costume right now is our only thread of any real hope here. Because being a Spirit doesn't seem like a huge upgrade in comparison to characters that were costumes that became assists or fighters. If you must campaign, reminding people of the Mii costume might be the thing to point out. Heck, we may want to cheer for Geno being the Square Enix character (As well as knocking down the argument that spirits can't become fighters) because that would indicate Mii costume upgrades to full-fledged fighters still matter into the DLC period. Though I think it's probably going to be Sora instead.
Alright, let me have an Hour or so and I'll create the account. I'll link it here if pepole are willing to support.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
If spirits made characters exempt from DLC, then that would basically mean there is no DLC.

Goku would literally be the only DLC character if that were the case.
Don't know why many people fail to realize this!
Spirits essentially work just like Stickers in Brawl...
Not like an assist where there's coding and development involved....

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Actually, too Be honest, we don't really need a Twitter, we can just have people have there voice heard, and if I can get the backing, the Nintendo Switch Amino should have are backs too...but it depends, I'll leave it until the game comes out.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Hey guys, do you think being a spirit = deconfirmation ?
As a Shantae supporter, it seems like we are kinda in the same boat here ^^

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hey guys, do you think being a spirit = deconfirmation ?
As a Shantae supporter, it seems like we are kinda in the same boat here ^^
We don't think so completely. But spots are tight. It may not be a complete deconfirmation as we have spirits of current fighters. But it's going to be tough. We don't know if there's going to be another season of the fighter pass yet.

I am worried a bit on that part about Sakurai saying "Will I ever get a break?" was a little more then just a joke. And all 5 have probably already been decided.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Don't know why many people fail to realize this!
Spirits essentially work just like Stickers in Brawl...
Not like an assist where there's coding and development involved....
Also, if you take out all of the Spirits out of the question for DLC, then DLC would essentially be limited to up and coming first party characters, highly obscure first party characters, and unrepresented third party characters. That's not very realistic.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Shadow supporter here. After that crushing defeat at the hands of Sakurai’s bias I’m more than willing to support Tails. Never disliked the cute little guy, and at this point he’s the only hope us Sonic fans have left for a 2nd rep.

Sakurai hates Sonic though, so I doubt we’ll ever get one. I’m convinced of that now. Shadow would have been so easy, and he made so much sense. It’s a rough world we live in

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Shadow supporter here. After that crushing defeat at the hands of Sakurai’s bias I’m more than willing to support Tails. Never disliked the cute little guy, and at this point he’s the only hope us Sonic fans have left for a 2nd rep.

Sakurai hates Sonic though, so I doubt we’ll ever get one. I’m convinced of that now. Shadow would have been so easy, and he made so much sense. It’s a rough world we live in
Cuz he PROBABLY{just guessing}... knows that Tails is a better fit, when many think of sonic, they also think of Tails right beside
him, the two are inseparable!
We're gonna get our answer in DLC tho.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

Hates Sonic is a little extreme. Sakurai's probably just not as much of a personal fan as compared to say Street Fighter and Castlevania. Both of those games Sakurai loved in his youth. I feel very much Sakurai does appreciate the value of the franchise still. Sonic being alone still after 3 games is not what I call personal hatred of Sonic. Just there have been more priority.

In Brawl, Sonic almost didn't make it (Albeit Sakurai had Sonic in the project plan, and it wasn't his fault. Sega said no at first). It speaks volumes that Sakurai bothered to delay the game partly to get Sonic finished in time for release. You might point out that Sakurai feared the backlash of no Sonic after Snake got things so promising. But then you have stuff like what's happened with Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo. During to or prior to Brawl or Smash 4

In Smash 4, Sakurai practically boasted about having Sonic in the game along with Mega Man and Pac-Man in one of the pic of the days about gathering iconic characters. And Sonic's moveset while mainly the same it was for Brawl was changed a bit to make Sonic a much better fighter.

And in Ultimate he's the only 3rd party franchise thus far with more then one stage (Even if they're both old stages). As well as even more tweaking of his moveset to be more of an aggressive character. He even had a brief touching moment in the story mode intro where he slowed down despite the lasers to try to save Pikachu. This being the first big CGI moment for Sonic since the very ending of Subspace where he took down Tabuu's wings.

Regardless or not if Tails makes it in. I just don't think Sonic not getting another rep is proof that Sakurai HATES the Sonic franchise. He just has other priorities and admittedly a little bit of bias on what 3rd party franchises he likes more in both Street Fighter and Castlevania. Hate is a strong word, Street Fighter and/or Castlevania being preferred by Sakurai is probably closer to the truth. And that's perfectly fine. Designers of video games have their favorite series too.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Hates Sonic is a little extreme. Sakurai's probably just not as much of a personal fan as compared to say Street Fighter and Castlevania. Both of those games Sakurai loved in his youth. I feel very much Sakurai does appreciate the value of the franchise still. Sonic being alone still after 3 games is not what I call personal hatred of Sonic. Just there have been more priority.

In Brawl, Sonic almost didn't make it (Albeit Sakurai had Sonic in the project plan, and it wasn't his fault. Sega said no at first). It speaks volumes that Sakurai bothered to delay the game partly to get Sonic finished in time for release. You might point out that Sakurai feared the backlash of no Sonic after Snake got things so promising. But then you have stuff like what's happened with Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo. During to or prior to Brawl or Smash 4

In Smash 4, Sakurai practically boasted about having Sonic in the game along with Mega Man and Pac-Man in one of the pic of the days about gathering iconic characters. And Sonic's moveset while mainly the same it was for Brawl was changed a bit to make Sonic a much better fighter.

And in Ultimate he's the only 3rd party franchise thus far with more then one stage (Even if they're both old stages). As well as even more tweaking of his moveset to be more of an aggressive character. He even had a brief touching moment in the story mode intro where he slowed down despite the lasers to try to save Pikachu. This being the first big CGI moment for Sonic since the very ending of Subspace where he took down Tabuu's wings.

Regardless or not if Tails makes it in. I just don't think Sonic not getting another rep is proof that Sakurai HATES the Sonic franchise. He just has other priorities and admittedly a little bit of bias on what 3rd party franchises he likes more in both Street Fighter and Castlevania. Hate is a strong word, Street Fighter and/or Castlevania being preferred by Sakurai is probably closer to the truth. And that's perfectly fine. Designers of video games have their favorite series too.
It just hurts man, I put to much heart and soul into an unknown I guess. It still hurts. Every time I see one of the third party echoes I cry on the inside just a bit.

Top Bottom