• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda I wonder what LoZ game(s) I should play first (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
This thread is honestly kind of dumb. Just pick the game that seems most interesting to you and play it. then you should come back and give us your first impressions of the games as you play them then maybe this thread will be worth something
In that case, Majora's Mask. Which I know is a bad idea considering the footage of the dungeons I see.

Second would be Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword or OOT.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Mm is great, imo better then oot (which is also great), but mm is not the game you want to start with. The clock could get annoying for newcomers and you might as well play oot b4 u play mm. Also its main focus is on the world and the characters in it so the side quest are a necessity but the game could be kinda short if you just want to run through it. Also its just kinda strange

:phone:

finalark

SNORLAX
This thread is honestly kind of dumb. Just pick the game that seems most interesting to you and play it. then you should come back and give us your first impressions of the games as you play them then maybe this thread will be worth something
This is basically what I've been trying to say.

Also, your avatar. I like that movie.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Mm is great, imo better then oot (which is also great), but mm is not the game you want to start with. The clock could get annoying for newcomers and you might as well play oot b4 u play mm. Also its main focus is on the world and the characters in it so the side quest are a necessity but the game could be kinda short if you just want to run through it. Also its just kinda strange

:phone:
72 hours (reset back to day 1 halfway through) and still too small!?!

DO NOT WANT.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well shoot if yer looking for a love story, Skyward Sword is where it's at. But seeing as how this is the most recent zelda, it could potentially make the others seem lesser when compared to it. Skyward Sword was very easy and very long. Non Stop adventuring for weeks.
My personal favorite is Majora's Mask, a short dark game with tons of replayability, but if ya don't play Ocarina of Time first you won't have a clue on how Majora's mask works, and the difficulty will **** you. Plus it'll seem even cooler when you compare it to the world of Ocarina of time.

Long Story Short, Get Ocarina of Time off of the Wii shop. After you beat that move onto either Majora's Mask and Twilight princess if ya like the dark zelda, or Windwaker and Skyward Sword if yer into wacky zelda games.

A lot of people will reccomend A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening but they pale in comparison to the newer 3D games. ( Okay I'm being too opinionated here ) Ultimately the hardest zelda game that you may damn well never have a clue as to what to do is the original Zelda. I bought it off the wii shop a couple months ago and am still amazed and confused.

I got Ocarina of Time when I was young. For what I believe was years I was stuck in the tutorial village without a clue as to what I was supposed to do. I just kept exploring the lost woods and backflipping off of buildings. I was too afraid to venture into the maze with the big boulder.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You call slow and speed up time in MM, by using the inverted song of time and the song of double time.

When I first played, the song of inverted time STILL didn't give me enough time in certain dungeons...Though MOST of the time you can derp around without consequence. 72 hours x3 (Not IRL hours, each hour is 27 seconds) lasts quite a while, and if you are ONLY focusing on certain sidequests you have too much time.

You will have to do things more than once occasionally, which may or may not annoy you. But TBH, one you complete someone's side quests in one time line, you won't have to do it again unless it directly interacts with some other character's time line you missed the first time.

MM is definetly one of my favorite games in the series though.

With all those fancy glitches, you can beat MM in one day cycle. Without them and only going for game completion rather than spending the time to really enjoy the game, I think you could beat the game in 2 time cycles. But you really have to know what your doing to do that.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
DakotaBonez said:
Well shoot if yer looking for a love story, Skyward Sword is where it's at.
I haz no gun n teh frst plac.

My personal favorite is Majora's Mask, a short dark game with tons of replayability, but if ya don't play Ocarina of Time first you won't have a clue on how Majora's mask works, and the difficulty will **** you.
INSTANT KILLOVER. O.O

(Okay I'm being too opinionated here)
This is a thread where Sol's the OP! Flame Wars are pretty much mandatory when my cranium-full-of-sawdust comes up with crack-addicted thread ideas! :D

Ultimately the hardest zelda game that you may damn well never have a clue as to what to do is the original Zelda. I bought it off the wii shop a couple months ago and am still amazed and confused.
I thought Zelda 2 is considered harder. Apparently not.

After you beat that move onto either Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess if ya like the dark zelda
That's the dark side? That's kinda the only good ending for Hyrule, and even then it's not by much.

I'm dead serious. Hyrule is either BANNED BY GANON or FLOODED in the other two endings of Ocarina of Time!

For what I believe was years I was stuck in the tutorial village without a clue as to what I was supposed to do.
My first experience of LOZ in a nutshell.

Xeyblade said:
With all those fancy glitches, you can beat MM in one day cycle. Without them and only going for game completion rather than spending the time to really enjoy the game, I think you could beat the game in 2 time cycles. But you really have to know what your doing to do that.
PsychoIncarnate said:
You call slow and speed up time in MM, by using the inverted song of time and the song of double time.

When I first played, the song of inverted time STILL didn't give me enough time in certain dungeons...Though MOST of the time you can derp around without consequence. 72 hours x3 (Not IRL hours, each hour is 27 seconds) lasts quite a while, and if you are ONLY focusing on certain sidequests you have too much time.

You will have to do things more than once occasionally, which may or may not annoy you. But TBH, one you complete someone's side quests in one time line, you won't have to do it again unless it directly interacts with some other character's time line you missed the first time.

MM is definetly one of my favorite games in the series though.
ehhhhhh... Pass. WAIT, what happens when you run outta time!?!

No, LITERALLY, run out of all your 72 hours (pretty much moon hit earth and kaboom)? Do you start the WHOLE THING all over? Or does it repeat into the last day of whichever cycle?

finalark

SNORLAX
No, LITERALLY, run out of all your 72 hours (pretty much moon hit earth and kaboom)? Do you start the WHOLE THING all over? Or does it repeat into the last day of whichever cycle?
It just boots you to the title screen then you load your last save.

Yeah, its not that bad. Plus you can use Owl Sautes as save points in the middle of days.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
once you are past the initial tutorial 3 day cycle and you have control of the Ocarina, the time mechanic becomes much simpler.

here's what you do so you don't ever have to worry about running out of time (unless you're really really really bad):

Each dungeon has a lead-up to it before you can even enter. When you access the entrance to a dungeon, there will always be a save statue nearby. So, you activate the statue and save, then you reset the time back to the first day.

Once you do that, you can simply warp to the statue via the Song of Soaring and so you will be entering the dungeon with 3 whole days left. If you play the song of Time backwards, it slows down the flow of time and give you even more leeway.

But if even all that time isn't enough for you, each dungeon has a key item about halfway through and when you get that item it opens up many shortcuts within the dungeons. Once you get this item, you can reset the time again and go back to the dungeon and now you have only half of a dungeon to get through in 3+ days.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
These are all of the Zelda games that I have played, listed in order of my most favourite to my least:

1. Majora's Mask (the music makes this game seem so much darker than all the rest)
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Oracle of Age's
4. Link's Awakening
5. Skyward Sword
6. Wind Waker
7. A Link to the Past

I feel like these are very ****ing solid Zelda games, and you might as well play them in that order, except make OoT first.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I now want the gbc zelda games to come out on virtual console.

Release them now Nintendo

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I now want the gbc zelda games to come out on virtual console.

Release them now Nintendo
Pfft, just go on eBay and by the actually hard games. They're cheap as ****, and you'll have an actual physical copy.

EDIT: Sorry. You meant Gameboy Color lol. Same thing though, just buy the actualy hard copy of the game online :D

And if you don't have a GBA/SP/DS then you can buy a GBA/SP for really cheap as well.

The GBA Zelda games were some of the best.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, technically I probably still have them around somewhere, but I'd still rather just buy them in the eshop on the 3DS and play them like that

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think you pretty much got your answer. Most everyone including myself recommends either Lttp or OOT.

I wouldn't start with MM not because its bad game (its amazing, can't decided which is better MM or OOT) but because MM assumes that you have already played OOT and is good at it. Its also a little bit different so I highly recommend OOT first before MM.

Don't play SS, it doesn't have that classic Zelda feel

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Skyward Sword was a radical change. I loved it and it was a massive adventure. But yeah Hurry up and Buy Ocarina of Time damn you. You can find it on the wii shop. Geez how many days is he gonna wait til he tells us what he got.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Legend of Zelda (Wizzrobe)
Adventure of Link (LuigiToilet, Wizzrobe)
Link To The Past (Tacel, LuigiToilet, Holder of the Heel
, N.A.G.A.C.E.
, Kupo15)
Ocarina of Time (Tacel, Holder of the Heel, N.A.G.A.C.E.,
MuraRenguan, Kupo15)
Majora's Mask (
MuraRengan, Kupo15)
Wind Waker Not On Virtual Console, and Gamestop no longer supports GameCube titles, Used or New. (Wizzrobe)

Twilight Princess A friend of mine has it. (MuraRenguan)
Skyword Sword (
Xeylode, Finalark
, N.A.G.A.C.E.
, Kupo15)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh, even though I put forth my vote, if you for some reason decide to play TP play it on the GC instead of the Wii. Its much better.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Oh, even though I put forth my vote, if you for some reason decide to play TP play it on the GC instead of the Wii. Its much better.
Pfft. You have infinite votes in this place, but only one per game.

And I'm just focusing on games, not which system to play it on.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm not voting for you to play TP first, but if you decide to not go with what the majority are saying and instead you choose to play TP for w/e reason, play the GC version and not the wii one. The GC version is simply more enjoyable to play than the wii version. Just saying..

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Ocarina of Time. But if you do play it, play it on the Nintendo 64. Get that nostalgic feel.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ocarina of Time. But if you do play it, play it on the Nintendo 64. Get that nostalgic feel.
He can't have nostalgia over a game he's never played before.

Might as well play the 3DS version because it's got better mechanics, including the boots being "c items"

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
, N.A.G.A.C.E.
, Kupo15
, Gamemaster204)
MuraRenguan, Kupo15
, Jim Morrison, Gamemaster204)
Majora's Mask (
MuraRengan, Kupo15)
Wind Waker Not On Virtual Console, and Gamestop no longer supports GameCube titles, Used or New. (Wizzrobe)

Twilight Princess A friend of mine has it. (MuraRenguan
, Jim Morrison)
Skyword Sword (
Xeylode, Finalark
, N.A.G.A.C.E.
, Kupo15)

I'm not voting for you to play TP first, but if you decide to not go with what the majority are saying and instead you choose to play TP for w/e reason, play the GC version and not the wii one. The GC version is simply more enjoyable to play than the wii version. Just saying..

Oh. One thing though: Detailed reasons why it's more fun, please

I. DO. NOT. OWN. A. NINTENDO. SIXTY. FOUR. :mad:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I. DO. NOT. OWN. A. NINTENDO. SIXTY. FOUR. :mad:
You don't need one; just get it on the Wii Virtual Console. As for what I think you should play as a good starting game, the handhelds aren't a bad place to start; Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap. Yes, there's Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but I don't think those are good introduction games. Another good thing about handheld versions is that you can play it on the fly whenever you feel like it. Unfortunately, they're not available via download, with the exception of Link's Awakening on the 3DS, so you may need to hunt them down at a GameStop or some local video game store.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
You don't need one; just get it on the Wii Virtual Console. EXACTLY! As for what I think you should play as a good starting game, the handhelds aren't a bad place to start; Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap. Sorry, no access to them at this time. Yes, there's Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but I don't think those are good introduction games. Another good thing about handheld versions is that you can play it on the fly whenever you feel like it. Only prob I have with that is the Battery. I usually play Pokemon sitting down at a league Unfortunately, they're not available via download, with the exception of Link's Awakening on the 3DS, so you may need to hunt them down at a GameStop or some local video game store. Which is impossible for me, since there's only one store where I live that I can rely to have Used Games, and it's not very active. And I have no 3DS. Just a regular one, a Wii, and a PS3 (We'll get to that later.)

And that's why Sonic Drift sux! :awesome:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Not like my single preference will make you choose it, but Wind Waker imo.

There's the cartoony style which some people loathe for some reason, but I think it's awesome and it matches the atmosphere of that game really well. Actually it's what makes the atmosphere so great. Also I like the battle system more than the Wii games and the handheld games since it's a lot more fluid.

And the Great Sea is fun, more so than Hyrule Field to me.

Dat_IS_Falco

Smash Rookie
Play Skyward Sword for 2 reasons #1 its not that hard (But even if it is hard for you they have video hints) and #2 Nintendo tried to make it so that anybody could play it, veterans of the series, or Newbs looking for a new Wii game. And personally I loved the story than any other Zelda game I've ever played, but that's just my opinion.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh. One thing though: Detailed reasons why it's more fun, please

[/SIZE][/FONT]
The motion controls are clunky and bothersome to wield. The buttons and traditional controller scheme on GC is much more responsive.

In the wii, you have a cool down lag between spin slashes whereas GC you do not.

The GC item wheel has an additional feature that allows you to select the item you want from any location whereas wii you always have to scroll through.

You can still free roam the camera with the cstick in GC if you want.

The whole world is flipped the wrong way in wii. Keep in mind this game was designed purposely for the GC but for the wii they mirrored the locations of everything to make link right handed thus the whole environment feels rather off and backwards... because it is backwards.

I have a feeling I'm missing something but yea, GC gives you more options and feels better to play

Honestly, the world being backwards is not that big of a deal on a first play-through. You will only be backwards because you have experienced both games. Playing on the wii the first time will feel natural if you played GC second and vice versa.

I thought you could select items on the item wheel with the pointer on the wii too. Although, GC > Wii instead for twilight princess. There is no way to make up for the controls on the Wii, but you will get use to it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't realize the world in the wii was backward until looking it up online.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the world being backwards is not that big of a deal on a first play-through. You will only be backwards because you have experienced both games. Playing on the wii the first time will feel natural if you played GC second and vice versa.

I thought you could select items on the item wheel with the pointer on the wii too. Although, GC > Wii instead for twilight princess. There is no way to make up for the controls on the Wii, but you will get use to it.
Only thing I care about at this rate.

And I'm used to clunky controls. I get angry at the game with or without them.

Only game where I never raged (and the only one where I didn't feel like a tank in terms of movement) was Portal 2 (and no, that does not count the Co-Op. But that's not the game's fault. That's just from lack of a headset. Many Facepalms and Nerd Rages were had in my first time playing the DLC)

kupo15

Smash Hero

I honestly forget if you can point to the item you want, though if so maybe I remember it being a slight nuisance. I remember loving being able to hold L and point the joystick to the item I wanted on the GC.

And actually, I played TP on the wii first and I wasn't crazy about it and things just felt off. I played the GC second and things just made much more sense and felt "right." Idk how to explain it, maybe years of playing Zelda where the relationship of Providences locations were established and the Wii version didn't fit that consistency. The best way I can describe it was kinda like a 6th sense. I never consciously thought about the influence of this "layout consistency" until the wii broke pattern.

In any case, TP was built around the GC controller and the design of the game was built with a certain vision in mind as far as locations, direction and placement go. It would be like you furnishing your room. You use a certain perspective based on the layout of the room to judge how you will place objects in a way that makes sense. Now imagine if your friend walked in your room for the first time and everything in your room was mirrored. I'm sure he would sense the layout of your room would seem off.

To simply port the GC version to wii controls and mirror the world design does have a pretty significant impact on the game whether you realize it or not.

But do as you wish. I gave my 2 cents on the thread...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would suggest Twilight Princess as your first Zelda. It's a good first game to play as it's not as difficult as the other games (except SS) and it's also the longest and is otherwise just amazing and shows you exactly what Zelda is about.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
, N.A.G.A.C.E.
, Kupo15
, Gamemaster204)
MuraRenguan, Kupo15
, Jim Morrison, Gamemaster204)
Majora's Mask (
MuraRengan, Kupo15)

Twilight Princess A friend of mine has it. (MuraRenguan
, Jim Morrison
, -LzR-)
Skyword Sword (
Xeylode, Finalark
, Dat_IS_Falco
, N.A.G.A.C.E., Kupo15)

Skyward Sword and Wind Waker Battle to the death! Who will survive the next judgement? Stay tuned to find out!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I wonder if some people get the difference between "backwards" and "mirrored". I know it's just a nitpick, but "backwards" would more imply starting at Ganon's Castle and working your way to the beginning of the game. I would also like to add that OoT Master Quest on the 3DS is a mirrored version of the original Master Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom