• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC special "desynch" taunt

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Since there are multiple taunts now, I think it would be rad if the ICs' left and right taunts only affected Popo and Nana, respectively (i.e. pressing left taunt would make Popo taunt, leaving Nana in the player's control). It would make desynching a lot easier for newcomers, but at the same time, a character is obviously vulnerable while they're taunting; so advanced players who use alternative desynch methods would be rewarded by having both characters continue to attack as they desychned.

I loved ICs in Melee - though I hated the game itself - and it was really annoying to not be able to desynch simply because I wasn't good enough at the basic game mechanics. Having a handy "desynch button" would get me through the rough times until I was good enough to do it the manly way.

ALSO THEY SHOULD HAVE A ONE-HIT KILL BUTTON

Turtlefox

Smash Cadet
Didn't desynching make the ICs almost broken?... Why would they make a button so that you can desynch and abuse the ... (my vocabulary's not vast enough to find the words to come next)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Since there are multiple taunts now, I think it would be rad if the ICs' left and right taunts only affected Popo and Nana, respectively (i.e. pressing left taunt would make Popo taunt, leaving Nana in the player's control). It would make desynching a lot easier for newcomers, but at the same time, a character is obviously vulnerable while they're taunting; so advanced players who use alternative desynch methods would be rewarded by having both characters continue to attack as they desychned.

I loved ICs in Melee - though I hated the game itself - and it was really annoying to not be able to desynch simply because I wasn't good enough at the basic game mechanics. Having a handy "desynch button" would get me through the rough times until I was good enough to do it the manly way.

Desynching is easy. It's maintaining the desynch that's the tough part.

ZachSoup

BRoomer
BRoomer
Could be my first Novel/Views on Desynching

Think of desynching as a form of movement rather than a type of move. Essentially, how desynching works (in Melee) is that Nana follows Popo about 6 frames late, entailing that whenever Popo inputs anything, Nana will always be delayed. This being said, if one so desired to try to input a command to the IC’s while one of the IC’s are doing a move already (which isn’t that hard since they are never in synch to begin with), you will be able to set a on going cycle of creating a window where the first IC can’t carry out the command while the 2nd IC does, and thereby creates another window for the first IC to do a different move, creating another window for the 2nd, and so on and so forth, thus Desynching.
Now I’m sure you had some general idea of what desynching was. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if my description above was old news to you. However, knowing what Desynching is on paper is hardly the problem for inexperienced IC players so much as how desynching should be properly treated in an actual game play situation. Much like dash dancing, where and how you use a dash dance is far more important than what you do to use it.

Like stated earlier, creating windows of where one IC can’t carry out an input is the key to Desynching, and there are so many ways to create these windows that I probably couldn’t list them here if I tried. Now every window is different from another, some are trickier and less straight forward as well. For example, spot dodging in place is a pretty text book example of starting desynched movement, but turning around into a forward tilt from a wave dash toward your opponent can get also open up a window, it just requires more control over your character.

Hopefully by now you realize when I say windows, I am talking about any sort of action that can lead into desynched movement. The key here is to place this desynched movement in a way to control an opponent’s movement. After all, by having one character commit to a move, you cause your opponent to deal with this threat, and thereby force him to commit an action in response to yours in which you can anticipate with your free IC.

EX: You fire a desynched iceblock at a space animal. They have to respond to this threat. If you anticipate a jump, you can wave dash an up air and pick him out of the air when he jumps an ice block. Or if he is going to short hop, you can wave into a jab/d-smash/grab/any ground move if you are close enough. Or if you aren’t you can wavedash after your ice block if he’s going to short hop, dash dance next to him to panic him, and perhaps dash dance into a grab, or shield and wait for nana to catch up so she can do a desynched move (not likely going to work) or blizzard instead of dash dance to tack on damage. OR if he is going to shine, send another ice block to cancel the first, and then send another to reinitiate the whole scenario. OR if he gets hit by the iceblock you can wavedash into a punishing grab/smash OR…well you get the idea.

What I’m trying to get across here is that desycnhed moves can lead to ANYTHING and therefore other desynched moves. What you can do is up to your descrestion, and with practice and time you will start to learn what situations are best for what desynched approaches. Thinking of desynched moves as moves themselves (I.e. desynched Ice blocks/forward smashes/blizzards to grabs) are limited and restrictive to an IC player’s mindset. Think of them as movement, nothing is set, and therefore your options are limitless. There is no such thing as a “desynch” button. As for your technical skill, if you give the game serious practice and time, regardless of your current skill you will get better, there is no other way around it. Look at M2K, all he has is practice and he is one of the best players out there. If you give it time, you will learn. Anyways I know you didn’t exactly ask for this explanation, and it is a bit long, but hopefully this will give you some perspective on how you should approach desynching with the IC’s. There is no need for a “button” :)

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Well I want one. >:(

Seriously, you've listed a billion ways to desynch, but the ones I was able to do (back during the brief period during which I played Melee) were the reaalllly slowww ones.

Like, desynching from a taunt in Melee means that both characters have to taunt once, and then you hold the taunt button so that one of them does it again. That's not something you can really pull of in the middle of a close fight. :p I want to be able to just tell one IC to taunt.

I have real troubles with the GC controller (N64 controller ftw) and desynching from wavedash and whatnot would require consistent wavedash abilities - besides which, wavedashing isn't even in Brawl, so who knows how it will be possible to desynch? The taunt thing would guarantee at least one way to get a desynch started.

But nobody cares, clearly, so that's cool... this can die. :'(

Edit: Oh, and also with the left/right taunts, you could choose which Climber to desynch right off the bat.

Top Bottom