• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Discussion REVAMPED - Week 1 Snaaaaaaaakeeeee

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Ah, Daycia? :D

For the most part trick em into using Fair/Dair more, since its alot more high risk if they use it. If you cant get them into doing that, punish bair with what cheese said.

Also Lux, wouldnt and 1/8th circle be just that direction?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If you 1/8th, you need to do it up and sideways. The up part of the SDI is cancelled because you're in shield and grounded. If you QCDI and include down, it spot dodges for some reason. I'm not sure why it buffers a spot dodge but not a roll, but W/e lol

Smoom77

Smash Master
Praxis makes it look easy because that GW is bairing TOWARDS his opponent. Why would a GW do that? Aren't retreating bairs what you're supposed to do?

Roller

Smash Legend

Teh Future

Smash Master
you really dont want G&W to bair your shield that much unless your trying to force them to misspace it. but thats really not going to happen that much. as long as theres platforms you really just wanna desync blizzard until G&W goes there and then upair him and wait until he does something that can be grabbed.

if im getting hit by it i sdi through and slightly up then bair. idk about going completely through like cheese said but it seems like that would be harder so idk id just stick with that bc it will work more.

you just have to play really cautious and safe against him almost likes he mk bc if he separates you youre dead. Dont try to punisha lot of his stuff bc most of it is completely safe regardless of what people safe if he spaces it right (especially against characters that slide across the whole stage when you hit their shield). he fairs your shield? reset. dsmash your shield? reset. Just keep in mind that if you try to punish something and fail, one of his smash attacks is killing you at 70%.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
People still mess up and it's good to know how to punish them when they do.

If GW retreats a bair it's not going to be hitting you, and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
you really dont want G&W to bair your shield that much unless your trying to force them to misspace it. but thats really not going to happen that much. as long as theres platforms you really just wanna desync blizzard until G&W goes there and then upair him and wait until he does something that can be grabbed.

if im getting hit by it i sdi through and slightly up then bair. idk about going completely through like cheese said but it seems like that would be harder so idk id just stick with that bc it will work more.

you just have to play really cautious and safe against him almost likes he mk bc if he separates you youre dead. Dont try to punisha lot of his stuff bc most of it is completely safe regardless of what people safe if he spaces it right (especially against characters that slide across the whole stage when you hit their shield). he fairs your shield? reset. dsmash your shield? reset. Just keep in mind that if you try to punish something and fail, one of his smash attacks is killing you at 70%.

lol r u stupid WAT ABOUT HIS BUCKET

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Good call man, I should be doing this more than I do. I'm asking about the mu because I had to go Pikachu to beat Day in bracket at Nope's after losing game 1 with ICs. lol
It's mostly theorycraft on my part. My ICs haven't played too many people offline. Just my roommate's Lucario (which is pretty bad since he doesn't actually play), a few Warios and Joshkip's Sonic/Marth. But yeah, the detrimental match-ups I have no experience in.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
So guys.
Marth.
I had the lead today in a match on Pokemon Stadium against Marth.
My 3 stocks, 70 ish %, to his 1 stock 0%.

I LOST.
I couldn't believe it, he just came down and fair ***** me three times in a row.
The entire time I felt completely helpless. I felt like if he spaced things right and kept mixing it up with cross up bairs and footstools, I wouldn't touch him for another 5 stocks.
It ended with him around 65%, and me dead.

HALP. What is safe to grab against Marth? Are there any desyncs that help? (I realize that all desyncs are basically situational but, I'm grasping at straws.)

HOW DO I BEAT FAIR?!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Power shield it. It really helps a lot and will get you grabs. Blizzard to bait stuff, careful about being close to his shield, walk more than you run, nair is good, running spotdodge is great against fair(don't get baited though).

DeLux

We really ought to discuss the TL matchup at some point. I'm stumped. I think he's a hard counter to IC's at the highest level of play. If we do ever discuss the matchup, I'd explain why I'm of the opinion.

In terms of worst matchups, I would say, if played correctly, it's TL on his own tier, followed by dittos, followed by MK and then closely Snake. But TL is the only one where we are doooooomed.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
We really ought to discuss the TL matchup at some point. I'm stumped. I think he's a hard counter to IC's at the highest level of play. If we do ever discuss the matchup, I'd explain why I'm of the opinion.

In terms of worst matchups, I would say, if played correctly, it's TL on his own tier, followed by dittos, followed by MK and then closely Snake. But TL is the only one where we are doooooomed.
ill say that TL is IC hardest MU because 2nlio MM me and i couldnt catch him at all and when i did he had a bomb the only thing i could really do is hand to hand until i saw a opening.. once i learn this MU i probably wouldnt say its the hardest anymore. Snake is pretty easy for me. But yes lets please discuss the TL matchup. Its winnable but really difficult.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Haven't we already discussed it a ton? Hylian plays MJG and I play Jerm.
I've played Jerm a lot too lol.

Really I have pretty much no problem with any TL player except MJG. Jerm is about as good as MJG but he's not nearly as good at the IC match-up. Pretty much every IC player that has played MJG recently (Lain,future,myself,lux) agrees that the match-up is dumb lol. I don't really see a possible way to beat mjg with IC's, he just covers all of his options and stays out of range and ics are too slow to do anything about it :/. Obviously it's possible just freakishly hard. I don't even know what there is to discuss about it, he plays very simple and effective.

DeLux

Why TL wins at a high level and does what no other character can:

He outcamps us
He can evade the grab game
He can play the Uair trade at a positive ratio
He can separate the climbers.

For every other character (aka MK) that really evades the grab game, we always can fall back into camping and playing the uair game.

Obviously he outcamps us. He outcamps everybody.
Except on FD, if played correctly, camping and bombs combined kills the ability to grab
Ibomb destroys the uair game. If you say otherwise, you have not played MJG. With proper bomb management, at best, you have to leave yourself open to getting hit in order to not get ibombed.
Bombs also separate the climbers.

He has all the tools needed to beat us.

I think the key to the matchup is going to be restoring the uair game. That'll at least make it playable. Any ideas how to do that?

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Lemme play MJG on wifi and I'll tell you how good he is ;)
how do you play IC on wifi its way to hard lol ivee beaten scrubs with them but i ushally just go wario on wifi

The only way i see us beating a good TL like mjg is to CG him even with the bomb in his hand and just throw TL away when its going to explode. if it drops while you CG then your out of luck

DeLux

The only way i see us beating a good TL like mjg is to CG him even with the bomb in his hand and just throw TL away when its going to explode. if it drops while you CG then your out of luck
The issue is that if the TL is doing what he should be doing, you won't be grabbing him any time soon. Based on my observations of mjg's gameplay, he trys to always be holding a bomb when the IC's are close and he's out of jumps. At which point he does a read on spacing where if there are medium distance, he chucks the bomb; closer range he does an airdodge Gair/hookshot while holding the bomb; or an iBomb if you're literally on top of him.

I've been doing some thinking lately and I really think we need to reconstruct our character flow chart for this specific matchup.

Assuming FD's been banned-
I'd divide the match up into two modes of play: When TL is zoned vertical/above you and when TL is zoned horizontally.

I would think in terms of horizontal play, our best would be to just PS everything. Easier said than done, but based on that bomb read scenario I outlined earlier, we really don't have any good options assuming they space everything well. I would think we need to just walk shield everything and either hope they misspace a Gair for a grab or force them to go into the vertical zoning scenario.

When vertically zoned, I think we need to use the platforms. Obviously they're going to try to bomb us, but hopefully the level you're on has platforms where you can just sit underneath and let bombs explode. Don't attempt to go up and Uair chase him when he's holding a bomb; that's just asking to get iBombed, seperated, and beaten. We need to figure out a way to create the situation where there is vertical zoning and they don't have a bomb in hand. I think the best method to do that would be a zoning read of our own, where we go aerial underneat the TL using our SH/FH, and then wait until they make a move with the bomb. Assuming they do make said action with bomb, your first instinct should be to air dodge rather than Uair. Once the bomb is gone, you should be free to get one uair in, using your double jump to control spacing. If they hold onto the bomb, you're at an advantageous position by falling with them, because you're closer to their landing spot where their projectiles/gair won't save them, and they'll be forced to eat a bomb or get punished heavily.

Notice, that none of the options here require nana, so while losing her does make things more difficult, it would only affect the recovery and punishing power aspects of the game outside of getting a grab for cg. So even when forced to go SoPo, it might not be a completely lost cause.

It would take a lot of discipline on our parts to play the matchup in this manner, (probably more than I currently have). We'd have to go from thinking of things in terms of 3 stocks, to games of percents. But it might be a viable solution for some of us that isn't "Pick up a secondary"

DeLux

I think there's been enough replay to see what's going on. No use in having players throw away money for the greater good of the community.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
lol I think there are enough videos of MJG beating lain,myself and future. We don't need more >_>.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Not to mention watching a 3-stock would be kind of depressing... because we all know that's what would happen. All of us know it.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I always did say that Olimar TL and MK were our worst matchups. But the TL matchup is soooooooooooooooo much easier if you don't use the grab button at all.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
MJG has never 3 stocked my IC's lol. The one time he was going to in GF of a tournament someone in the crowd yelled: "how does it feel to be 3 stocked in the grand finals of a tournament hylian?!?!" when I was sopo at over 100% vs his 3 stocks and I took him to one stock with sopo to shut the guy up lmao.

Top Bottom