• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Revised in Brawl

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
We all know that the Ice Climbers had one major fault in Melee and that was when the follow-along character (usually Nana) was knocked off the stage. This left the main character (usually Popo) you are controlling really vulnerable and pretty much ready to get blown off stage. (Not me...I was grand at using a one party Ice Climber.)

So here's my discussion: Should this rule apply again in Brawl, or should there be like some way we can get our follow-along character to come back, such as like a time limit we have to wait before they return back to the field or like performing the Final Smash to retrieve them back?

No one really played as them in Melee that I know of, but if Sakurai and his team did THIS, maybe the Ice Climbers have a chance in being used by more people this time around. Post your thoughts.

SolidSnake27

Smash Cadet
Well, you provide one point.

Sakurai says that the ICs will do a high-five before unleashing the glacier. Can you high five with only 1?

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Well ICs are my main and will still be in Brawl (among Kirby-again and Pit most likely). To be quite honest, I don't think Popo being by himself was that much of a negative. At least not as much as one would think. Popo is STILL very strong even by himself. You just need to be more careful about when and where you use your smash attacks because the power is weakened by half. But even then, he still has an amazing recovery move to boot.

I've been thinking about what you said since their FS was revealed. I HOPE that their fs brings back Nana but I guess we won't know until the 24th.

I also hope that Nana is not as much of an idiot as she was in Melee. I'm not saying raise her fighting level but just make her smarter and not do stupid moves like she tends to do.

But yeah, I think they'll be revised/improved somewhat. On my thread in here earlier, I pointed out that some of their moves look like they've been changed slightly (blizzard) and it looks like they either have a new move where they do a smash in a different direction or it's desync but it can be seen in two different screenshots from two different updates. Either way, I'm sure the ICs will be a big contender this time around.

Kips

Smash Ace
My Nana was fairly smart from my experience- She actually edgeguarded my friend who jumped out to finish me! But it's true, they should revise the AI for her a bit. I'm hoping that their FS restores Nana too.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see the FS bring nana back, but I think having here revive on a timer would be a little to cheap. I could repeatedlly use the suicide nana-pult if she would revive.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
what do you mean by the main char being "usually" Popo and the uncontrolled being "usually" Nana? Is there a way to choose who you control?

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
what do you mean by the main char being "usually" Popo and the uncontrolled being "usually" Nana? Is there a way to choose who you control?
Wow someone's late haha. That's okay though. I didn't figure out until late in the game too.

Just change their costumes and Nana will switch to the front for two of them. The default is Popo and then there's an alternate. Then the two after that have Nana as the leader.

Kips

Smash Ace
Sometimes that can get confusing- One time I suicided as Nana while watching Popo run around because I forgot I was playing as Nana. Ick. So here I'm watching my Nana fall all the way to the ground and thinking 'I can knock them out with Popo!'. Made me feel more the a little stupid.

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you were left unprotected that much. Popo is also strong, enough to get KOs, And his Down Smash A spins him around, so your not unprotected. :O His Smash up A is also good. :p

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Definititely. The Ice Climbers is a double edge sword weapon. One Ice Climber is good (if your a pro) but if your not proficient, you won't last long in the battle. Two can be better. But then again, it can be tedious, keeping track, trying to get the combos right, and staying ahead of the other players using a duo.

That's what make the Ice Climbers so unique and so fun to use. ;)

Ninja Sheikah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9559-3780
Well I do remember the Ice climbers had that Side B move that make them spin. Perhaps it could be tweaked some to give them a vertical boost?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Well I do remember the Ice climbers had that Side B move that make them spin. Perhaps it could be tweaked some to give them a vertical boost?
It does, if you press B very quickly. In fact, the aerial side-B with both ice climbers gives one of the highest vertical recoveries in the game if you mash fast enough.

Anyways, sfox is correct. I think it's a real testament to the player's skill if he can play one ice climber well. Today's melee ice climber pros are defined by how clutch they can be with one climber, because opponents ALWAYS try to **** the cpu ice climber asap.

Also guys, when you pick orange and red ice climbers, you get NANA in front. Look at her hair. She is also the sexiest character in the game. I hope you can still lead with Nana in brawl (that's highly likely lol.)

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda surprised by what I'm reading. IC was unreal with two climbers, the grab combos were awesome the desync edgeguards were great. There weakness hands down was there recovery. They were so easy to edge guard, especially when you had one IC. The new edge grabbing techniques will help but I think side and UP B need to be adjusted.

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
It does, if you press B very quickly. In fact, the aerial side-B with both ice climbers gives one of the highest vertical recoveries in the game if you mash fast enough.

Anyways, sfox is correct. I think it's a real testament to the player's skill if he can play one ice climber well. Today's melee ice climber pros are defined by how clutch they can be with one climber, because opponents ALWAYS try to **** the cpu ice climber asap.

Also guys, when you pick orange and red ice climbers, you get NANA in front. Look at her hair. She is also the sexiest character in the game. I hope you can still lead with Nana in brawl (that's highly likely lol.)
You beat me to it a long time. <_<

I first noticed it when ChuDat was verusing some Falco player. I was like WTF?

Popo is still a overall good character by himself, being alone hardly loosens the knockback. It's still easy to get a lot of kills with Popo alone.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
The problem lies in Nana's stupidity. The CPU climber can't do ANYTHING by themselves. If they're running around some other part of the stage, that's all they'll do, except try to get back to Popo, and usually taking a smash attack to the face.
However, the biggest problem with Nana's stupidity is that she's emo, in that she doesn't want to recover when knocked off a stage. She'll just fall to her death instead of even trying to recover, and IC's double jump aren't THAT great.

Even if they don't change anything about her brainless-ness when on ground; if the only aspect they change about her is that she now tries to recover, that'll be a bigger step than Armstrong on the moon (if it was real. lol. conspiracy theories are funny).

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Maybe boost Popo a little bit when hes alone.. Like a vengeful rage. A Vindication effect.

The FS might possibly bring back Nana.

This was unfortunately a reason I didn't use them, the fact that Nana can get pwnt then I get pwnt.

-Onyx

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what if ic's really does counter peach in brawl? that would be a trip.

hehe. hehehehe.

juki

Smash Cadet
a way to bring back the other climber would be great!

maybe when u preform the final smash with 1 climber the other climber will jump from nowhere, do a high five with u and dissapear

Kips

Smash Ace
I wonder how the Glacier will affect gameplay other then being there and doing damage. Will the perfect traction afforded by their Ice Climber status affect the game? Will it make them better because other people are sliding around?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
that's pretty much the gist of it. i think it's a pretty sweet final smash if it encompasses the entire stage. it forces people to jump around and stuff, which could mean free aerials for the ic's. and if their uairs/bair/fairs are the same, that could mean a great deal of damage.

Kips

Smash Ace
Let's just hope they change their D-Air. That thing was useless, forcing you to play with them above or level with you. If the traction aids the Icy's, imagine the sheer pain they could inflict on people. Their Ice Shots would move way faster, they'd be able to hit them while they were slipping and sliding or force them into disadvantageous positions OR they'd just WD into CG.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think that the Ice Climbers could be freaking deadly if synched in the right way.
The reason why they weren't all that good in Melee was simply because Nana...well...might as well been a piece of paper.

If Nana could act as somewhat as a "fighter" that actually HELPED, the ICs could be quite deadly.

Kips

Smash Ace
The Ice Climbers generally can fight evenly with Peach in my experience. Her Turnips aren't too great against the two of them but her D-Smash can seperate them and then make it easy for her to pick them off one by one.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
peach utterly destroys ice climbers. sk8er was being sarcastic and prideful in the character of ice climbers.

though, i can understand. because i love them too. <3

2 nanas 1 cup

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
i think its a cool idea to get her back since i've yet to master saving her without getting ko'd in the proccess. not sure the final smash would be a useful way of getting nana back since final smashes will definately be turned off in tourney battles

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol i need to indoctrinate the brawl ic board into BELIEVING AND KNOWING how sexy nana is!

sexiest/cutest/strongest female character in SMASH!!!

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
Icys can fend off peach cause they have a hard time grabbing a float canceling peach most of the time.

Anyone notice down smash wasn't a high ranked move on brawlcentral?

Kips

Smash Ace
Icys can fend off peach cause they have a hard time grabbing a float canceling peach most of the time.

Anyone notice down smash wasn't a high ranked move on brawlcentral?
For the Icys? It's their preferred finisher out of a Wobble because Nana does it insanely fast while Popo is still headbutting. As for Peach being above them, that's one of the worst places to be. The Icys are only truly at a huge disadvantage when someone is below them, and their U-Smash+U-Air is pretty brutal.

Finch

Smash Lord
One small improvement I noticed from the 5 minute gameplay video that's important for anyone that likes to desync: nana no longer feels compelled to do a follow up blizzard in the opposite direction that completely screws you if you do a desynced one with just popo. Could this replace wavedashing?

no :(

but it's nice anyway

Top Bottom