• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas on a Turnip set up to punish/kill move?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So I've been trying to find a use for Airdodge dropping Turnips and I randomly thought this up on the spot and I've been trying to get some use out of it so I thought I'd post to see what you all thought

Its inspired by this kill that Kyon got on M2K and a branch of it could work with hotgarbage's idea:

Oi oi, I was dinking around today and started musing about how technically Peach has the best defensive option in the game: the low-floating air dodge. Unlike shielding or spot-dodging this has nearly no lag... like if used right against marth's fair you'd get a guaranteed punish. Has anyone ever messed around with this idea?
Basically, the idea is that you Airdodge Drop a Turnip right past your opponent and then F Smash them on the other side whilst they're in hitstun

By far the most satisfying version I did of this was SH Turnip Airdodge Drop a Stitchface to Frying Pan on MK in Training Mode :awesome:

F Smash hits on Frame 15 so at low percents, I don't think you can follow up with F Smash

Turnip Shield Stun
Point Blank Smash Throw
Normal: 14
Winking: 16
Dot: 21
Stitch: 35
Mr. Saturn: 10

Smash Throw
Normal: 9
Winking: 12
Dot: 17
Stitch: 30
Mr. Saturn: 9

Point Blank Normal Throw
Normal: 11
Winking: 16
Dot: 19
Stitch: 33
Mr. Saturn: 9

Normal Throw
Normal: 7
Winking: 11
Dot: 15
Stitch: 30
Mr. Saturn: 7

Point Blank Turnip Shield Advantages
Smash throw point blank
Normal: -5
Winking: -3
Dot: +2
Stitch: +16
Mr. Saturn: -9

Normal throw point blank
Normal: -8
Wink: -3
Dot: 0
Stitch: +14
Mr. Saturn: -10

Turnip Hitstun
Mario @ 0%
Normal: 21
Wink: 22
Mr Saturn: 13
Dot: 24
Stitch: 38

Point Blank Turnip Hit Advantages
0%
Normal: +2
Wink: +5
Dot: +9
Stitch: attack can be DI'd, thus no setup. Deals 42% though.
Mr. Saturn: -4
Beamsword: +10

20%
Normal: +7
Wink: +9
Dot: +14
Mr. Saturn: -1
Beamsword: +24

40%
norm: +10
wink: +13
dot:
saturn: +2
beam: attack can be DI'd

60%
Normal: +13
Wink: +17
Dot: attack can be DI'd
Mr. Saturn: +5

80%
Normal: +16
wink: attack can be DI'd
Mr. Saturn: +8

100%
Normal: +19
Mr. Saturn: +11

120%
Normal: Attack can be DI'd
Mr. Saturn: +14

140%
Mr. Saturn: +18

160%
Mr. Saturn: attack can be DI'd. Note that the trajectory is a great setup though.
]

However, Jab is frame 2, Nair is frame 8 (when you take into account jumping), Grab is frame 6, F Tilt is Frame 6, Dash Attack is Frame 6...etc. etc.

I don't see much use of this at low percents but you could use it to get a surprise kill or punish a whiffed move. Unfortunetly, Peach's SH even when fast falled last 43 frames which isn't exactly short...

...which is why I was think you could incoperate hotgarbage's idea of Floating and airdodging past someone - you help eliminate the falling time and thus get to punish quicker

The reason I suggest Airdodge dropping is because airdodge comes out on frame 4 and because you're invincible when you do it. So you can throw the Turnip quicker than if you did a normal throw and go right through an enemy attack. Plus, if their attack doesn't cancel out the Turnip (hello Mr. MK with your transcendent priority), it'll hit them and you get a chance to punish

I'm not sure how much shield stun the Turnip would give - I'd be assuming 7 like a 'Normal Throw'

I'd be interested if people gave it a try - this is in no way shape or form a problem solver to Peach's killing issues - the opponent has to be grounded for this work most of the time...Peach's fall speed is just so slow lol

tl;dr Airdodge drop a Turnip whilst moving past an enemy and smack them with something nasty whilst they're in hitstun from the Turnip

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I don't think it will work because Peach moves too slow horizontally. To airdodge drop it you would have to be at least eye level with opponent, and she cannot get behind them fast enough after an airdodge to get on the ground and punish with anything.

The opponent would have to be practically standing still for this to work. Maybe I will try things in training mode though

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Z-drop> Fair(catches turnip)> glide toss forward> grab or slap/grab> throw

Works on most of the cast from 0 percent. Mostly heavy characters.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
off the top of my head, a few tricksies from me on items.

jump throw turnip down -> fair

while falling and crossing up -> z drop turnip -> charge fsmash/upsmash.

Throw a turnip in the air -> charge turnip fsmash.

soft throw a turnip in the air -> charge fsmash

cross-up forwards upwards glidetoss -> pressure/grab

z-drop turnip/saturn/beamsword at the edge of a platform -> platform drop/Run off nair/bair/fair (float optional)

z-drop bomb -> toad

pull bomb -> charge fsmash

pull bomb -> toad

pull bomb -> umbrella.. even if you miss do they wanna **** with you if they don't have disjoints?

pull bomb -> dair pressure -> fall into them

all bomb stuff can be applied with nades... its just not as scary.

theres probably a bunch of cool stuff with weak glidetosses but my cast interferes with my ability to try it out

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't think it will work because Peach moves too slow horizontally. To airdodge drop it you would have to be at least eye level with opponent, and she cannot get behind them fast enough after an airdodge to get on the ground and punish with anything.

The opponent would have to be practically standing still for this to work. Maybe I will try things in training mode though
It works, especially on characters like Marth and Samus at around 80-100%. I've done it more than once in actual matches now. It works against MK too, dodge drop to punish a baited "hey look I'm above you" shuttle loop, land, profit.

Please take note that this doesn't work unless you dodge drop right out of a float to eliminate some of her slow fall speed.

@ Rick- Yeah that! More or less, haha. Kyon smacked him with a f-smash because he was at a really high percent and thus the turnip contact had more stun (and he threw the turnip upward instead of dropping it). Following a similar concept, landing closer and nailing an u-smash is just as feasible and practical. It requires a hard read/bait at times, but like Sonic...that's how she'll score her quicker, more worthwhile kills.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
The second one.

If you do it as you're jumping, it'd be pretty pointless since she'd still be rising in the air herself.

Just remember guys, it can also be used as a means of escape. I've avoided a good handful of shuttle loops with this.

Top Bottom