• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If 4th Customs were a thing, what would you want on Dedede?

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
In a hypothetical update where they add 4th customs, what moves would you want on D3? Realistically.

For me...

B: Quick Inhale-Little to no lag (comparable to Wario) but has less range and does little damage.

Side B: Waddle Dee Toss- For those who miss it! More or less like Brawl D3, without the chance for Gordos.

Up B: Horizontal Jump- More horizontal movement in exchange for vertical. You can influence the angle somewhat, so you can possibly use it to jump straight ahead on the stage, making it great for general combat.

Down B: Big Jet Hammer- Bigger, but does less damage. Also, starts self damaging sooner.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Inhale 4 would have the start-up of normal inhale and endlag of Taste Test. When you inhale someone, you move faster than when you regularly inhale someone and can't be shaken. They can still struggle out. And when you spit them out, it shoots them out at a set distance (Taste Test length) at the cost of less damage (7%).

Side 4 would be a slow moving linear gordo not affected by gravity. This gordo can only be reflected by reflectors and does 11% the whole time.

Up-B 4... would... uh... have bigger stars to protect you at the cost of longer endlag? I got nothing.

Down-B 4 is Kirby's Giant Hammer. Because that tiny mallet shouldn't be stronger than our Jet Hammer.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Down-B: It's like the dance from Waddle Dee Army. He does a little groove that functions like Sing from Jigglypuff. I guess it would have to be something other than putting people to sleep though, maybe just dazing them? I'm not sure. It'd be cool to see him dance again and also have another taunt.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well, let's make the most of this:

Neutral B:
Exhale
-Creates a massive windbox in front of Dedede that pushes opponents away. Cannot hold the button down, it's just a burst of air.

Side B:
Gordo Trap
-Simply sets a Gordo on the ground. Has a lasting hitbox, but doesn't move. Lasts a few seconds. (It's basically an Unira.)

Up B:
Hurricane Leap
-Dedede leaps into the air, creating windboxes on his sides that push opponents away. The windboxes happen as the move is initiated, and as Dedede lands. Has the same armor as Rising Dedede. Dedede also leaps higher than any of his other jumps. No hitboxes.

Down B:
Quick Swing
-Dedede pulls out the Jet Hammer and swings. Cannot be charged. Significantly quicker than any of the other Jet Hammers, but less damage and knockback. Little endlag.

I tried to be as clever as possible with this, while not altering any animations.

Last edited:

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Well, let's make the most of this:

Neutral B:
Exhale
-Creates a massive windbox in front of Dedede that pushes opponents away. Cannot hold the button down, it's just a burst of air.

Side B:
Gordo Trap
-Simply sets a Gordo on the ground. Has a lasting hitbox, but doesn't move. Lasts a few seconds. (It's basically an Unira.)

Up B:
Hurricane Leap
-Dedede leaps into the air, creating windboxes on his sides that push opponents away. The windboxes happen as the move is initiated, and as Dedede lands. Has the same armor as Rising Dedede. Dedede also leaps higher than any of his other jumps. No hitboxes.

Down B:
Quick Swing
-Dedede pulls out the Jet Hammer and swings. Cannot be charged. Significantly quicker than any of the other Jet Hammers, but less damage and knockback. Little endlag.

I tried to be as clever as possible with this, while not altering any animations.
This is pretty damn clever across the board.
The first three probably would make him the master of gimping and edge guarding for sure.
And the thought of a Dedede move coming out quickly is a wet dream.
It's so extremely devilish, but that's exactly the type of character he is.

ZeThundaRippa

Smash Cadet
Maine, you know, the place mistaken for Canada.
NNID
zethundarippa
3DS FC
5129-0353-6718
B: an inhale that moves us forward slowly, be pretty funny next to some Jaws music.

Side B: a Gordo that doesn't bounce, but comes out quicker and the hammer itself does heavy shield damage.

Up B: instead of stars when we come down, it's a windbox. Or I could laugh at one that angles like Pit/Pittoo's recovery, and instead of dropping straight down, we boomerang back the way we came.

Down B: Either a windbox that pulls opponents in, or a hitbox like DK's Down B that we can travel with.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
In a hypothetical update where they add 4th customs, what moves would you want on D3? Realistically.

For me...

B: Quick Inhale-Little to no lag (comparable to Wario) but has less range and does little damage.

Side B: Waddle Dee Toss- For those who miss it! More or less like Brawl D3, without the chance for Gordos.

Up B: Horizontal Jump- More horizontal movement in exchange for vertical. You can influence the angle somewhat, so you can possibly use it to jump straight ahead on the stage, making it great for general combat.

Down B: Big Jet Hammer- Bigger, but does less damage. Also, starts self damaging sooner.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
B:exhale: wind box hat blow foes and effects items such as turnips and links bombs fast as wario's b move but no hit-box.
Side B burying gordo: a weaker gordo that buries foes that are hit with it or meteors them if in the air,how long they stay in the ground and the strength of the meteor is dependent on how much it bounces before hitting the target .
Down b electric jet-hammer : A hammer that stuns people when hit rather then launching them, it does less damage and knock-back but the self damage begins a little later.
Up b crushing jump: A jump with no super armor on rising but when falling has super armor, when king Dedede lands he creates a small explosion that breaks shield and does huge damage and knock back at the cost of slightly more end lag and no stars.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
if I would do 4th Custom Moves:

B: Leaping Inhale! exactlys like Kirbys that Dedede jumps forward and inhales

or

B: Exhale: pretty much as @ Man of shame Man of shame with a Windbox instead

SideB: Tennis Gordo: a much faster gordo and hit animation that doesnt bounce and goes in a straight line (can be aimed as normally), however it little less knockback. (the idea is to play tennis with the gordo so the opponent hits it, dedede hits it back and opponent gets it before endlag ends)

UpB: Jumpy Jump: a wierd UpB, this UpB makes dedede have a slow start up with super armor, but once he jumps, he has windbox all the way to the top which can send people to death only with the wind (like how Megamans and G&W UAir can kill)! however on the way down you are slow and deal little damage but you impale them on the ground as usually when you land

DownB: Stunner Hammer: A really fast swing with no charge! the hit deals much shield damage and stuns them

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
The #1 thing I want is a gordo that can't be reflected but does less damage as to be balanced.

And any kind of custom for Jet Hammer that changes how this move works so its useful in some way. Literally almost anything with a use would be better than our useless default down B. Make it a counter for all I care, at least that'd be something. Or better yet, a projectile absorb like Rosalina has - would help with Dedede's issues with projectile spam.

Also an inhale custom that works like Wario's bite would be amazing.

I wish we had something, Dedede's customs are all garbage in my opinion other than taste test which is only a minor improvement to Dedede's default inhale. And that's even arguable since it takes away Dededecides and our ability to turn around during a swallow and spit opponents offstage for a free edgeguard situation. The others are amusing to play around with but I don't see any other customs an improvement to his default moveset.

The offensive up Bs are too punishable, besides quick Dedede jump hurts our recovery. The custom gordos are worse than default gordo for spacing and edgeguarding and the custom jethammers aren't useful. I suppose the super armor jethammer is not quite as bad as default down B but I still don't see any situations where I'm using it in the serious match. Maybe for an edgeguarding mixup...but even then it's too predictable and punishable and it does even more self damage than default down B.

Sorry went a little off topic there but as you can tell, Dedede's customs just make me sad.

Last edited:

3bubby

Smash Rookie
Neutral: Mighty Exhale - Opponents that are spat out do more damage as projectiles. I suppose the trade would be that they don't go as far, or take no damage from being inhaled/spat

Forward Special: Hover Gordo - Gordos move in straight paths, horizontally or diagonally. They don't do as much damage and are slower.

Up Special: Rocket Dedede - King Dedede jumps, but with a hard hitting start up. His descent, instead of a meteor smash, deals multiple hits.

Down Special: Shield-Breaking Hammer - This move eats shields, much like Marth's Neutral B.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Neutral B - Massive Inhale
King Dedede's Inhale is larger, stronger, and can pull in opponents and items from a longer distance! Sadly it takes quite a lot out of him, not only making it much easier for opponents to escape but also the end lag would become longer too. Use this move wisely!

(Alternatively) Neutral B - Gaping Mouth
No inhale action here! King Dedede will open his mouth widely for a brief moment waiting for any opponent foolish enough to jump right into it to just be spat back out! Basically acts similar to an counter with doubled damage from the spitting action. King dedede can still swallow items and projectiles, however it leaves him severely open. You better make sure that it's worth it to do so!

Side B - Unstoppable Gordo
A Gordo that keeps bouncing even after it hits an opponent and cannot be knocked back. Bounces normally, but sadly the launch power as well as damage is decreased; however with an unstoppable Gordo you can only imagine the many combos you can do.

(Alternatively) Side B - Gordo Bomb
A Gordo that simply bounces in place no matter how you angle it, but explodes upon impact thus giving a little more damage.

Up B - Soaring Dedede
King Dedede can more easily navigate left or right with this move as well as travel further; however this move deals no damage and stops midway through (as if you pressed up to end it early at peak height) leaving you vulnerable in the air and when you land.

(Alternatively) Up B - Super Heavy Jump
Sacrifices height and mobility for a much stronger jump that hurts anyone he touches during it whether when in the air or landing. Additional bonus is the landing effect has a large quake effect to send opponents upward. The landing lag is also increased.

Down B - Spinning Jet Hammer
While King Dedede may not be able to move while charging this custom, he can move by spinning left or right once the button is released. The spin lasts depending on how charged the hammer is. Takes longer to charge and immediately inflicts self-damage at the start, but at least you have the potential to hit multiple enemies with it in one go! Oh, and try not to get dizzy...

(Alternatively) Down B - Light Jet Hammer
King Dedede can move a little bit faster and jump slightly higher while charging his hammer, but the damage is decreased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welp, I tried and this was the best I could come up with. Hopefully these sound okay!

Top Bottom