• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If brawl wasn't the next in the series, would you still play it over melee?

Pi

Smash Hero
I was just wondering, I think the only reason a lot of people are switching over to brawl is because it's number 3 in the set. Even though some people might prefer melee, everyone's gonna be playing the newest release...just like halo, some may prefer H2 but the whole scene died down when H3 came out.

Honestly, I think if brawl was a COMPLETELY different game, not related to the smash bros. series, I would still play melee more so than brawl.:(

Or a more general question, what's your reason for taking brawl over melee?

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna make the switch to Brawl because it's fresh and new. Time will tell which is ultimately better

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Honestly, I think if brawl was a COMPLETELY different game, not related to the smash bros. series
It wouldn't be a contender. It would be like everyone ditching Smash to play a new Street fighter. Not gonna happen (in a large scale anyway, some people like street fighter.)

Which leads to my second point. When was the last time a new Fighting game series suceeded? Only one that comes to mind would be Killer Instinct, and that didn't last long.

pirkid

Smash Lord
But, if you look at it like that, why would we ditch Melee for any sort of new fighting game? It'd be Melee all the way.

And the argument is flawed because Brawl, is being played by most because it's bigger, better (debatable), and more modern. And it's part of the series this whole website revolves around.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
The Halo kind of killed it... a little bit.

I still play the other two Halo's. the first one for story, and the second one for easier sniping online.

MWAHAHAHAHA.... I kinda would play Melee every once in a while, cause I love speed. Since Brawl was decreased in speed (?) I kinda went "QQ" /sarcasm

d('-'d)

worm

Smash Cadet
It's a shiny, new toy, and the old one's getting a little boring to play with.
Anyone who thinks Melee is boring is either not good at it or you don't have good competition to play against. I've been playing it for 6 years, and I still see something new almost every time I play.

tral

Smash Cadet
If Brawl was a different franchise but still kept the same characters and gameplay, of course everyone would play it. Whether it has the name "Super Smash Bros." on it or not counts for absolutely nothing.

The truth of the matter is, most of us can't tell for certain simply because we haven't played it yet. To make these types of claims would be asinine.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
what little of Brawl I played I really liked. brawl has online, Brawl has more characters. But even based on how they play I think I'd go with brawl. I need to play it more before I decide that for sure but I like that it's less technical than melee. Makes the roster more balanced .

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Brawl has more stuff and is newer.
I'll go back to Melee for Poke Floats and whatever else didn't carry over (that isn't Dr. Mario/Mewtwo).

shiva39

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Definitely. I concede the allure of Brawl is its novelty. Amongst our group we recognize that Brawl may not become what Melee was, a maelstrom of technical skill and mindgames.

Anyway, this could turn sour. Long story short, full-heartedly understand and agree with you OP.

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
Well having been waiting for something new and better IMO, this one is worth it all, so the transition to Brawl will be easy for me.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering, I think the only reason a lot of people are switching over to brawl is because it's number 3 in the set. Even though some people might prefer melee, everyone's gonna be playing the newest release...just like halo, some may prefer H2 but the whole scene died down when H3 came out.

Honestly, I think if brawl was a COMPLETELY different game, not related to the smash bros. series, I would still play melee more so than brawl.:(

Or a more general question, what's your reason for taking brawl over melee?
If brawl was an unrelated game this would imply the following:

-The devs copied melee
-game characters are not repped by famous mascots.

so they would have funky made up characters which i guess...ruins it for me. so melee it would be.

Pi

Smash Hero
It was hard to phrase the question like I wanted to...but the point I was trying to make was that I think most people are only going to be ditching melee for brawl because it's the next step in the series. Not because it's 'better' but rather that it is expected of them?

But yes I spose it is a lil early to be asking why people are switching, considering most haven't even played the game.

Also, what's with all the SPAM on these boards? If you have to use 10char, or are saying things just to be said, I believeeeeeeeeeeee that is SPAM. I think there's a pretty fine line between being funny and spamming. Perhaps I'm just not use to the way these boards are run, they seem to be pretty lenient with 'SPAM'? Or are they just unable to punish the huge amount of it so the mods gave up? No sarcasm intended, was just bothering me.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I'll be playing Brawl because it is assumed that Brawl > Melee. If that turns out to not be the case, then I'll switch back. Simple as that.
Same here. I play games based on how good they are, not which one has the higher number in their title. Of course I'd love it if sequals always surpassed the original, but sadly that's not the case.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Melee is getting old.... its gameplay is faster and funnier in some way but the fact that it has 7 years or so matters a lot for me.
Dont get me wrong.... i will continue playing melee becuase it is hella fun and is more challenging (right now) than brawl... but well i cant stay all the next years playing it. I wan to move on.

If Brawl fails in delivering..... ill simply stop playing the series.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I'll be playing Brawl because it's a new experience. I'm not so much worried about the techinical whoozits and crap. I was skilled in Melee, yes. But I want something new. More characters, more stages, different(and better) music. All that stuff.

It might be a tad slower, but I really don't think it puts a damper on the overall gameplay. We'll all just have to adapt.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I'm really tired of all these threads beating around the bush, still managing to ask the same thing.

"Is brawl better than melee"

Yes it is.

Thread over.

Top Bottom