• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If instead of FS balls, each character had supermoves like in Street Fighter Alpha...

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Note: This is a serious question. How many of you would have liked if instead of attacking/destroying Final Smash Balls, you could instead do various supermoves like in Street Fighter Alpha.

So lets say you can turn on and off Supermoves(like turning on and off Final Smash Balls).

Each character has 3 super moves plus their Final Smash super move. To use a Supermove, you need to do some directional combo and press A, ripping off of street fighter lets say Mario can do a Shinkuu Hadouken by press "Down > Down Right > Right" on the control stick then pressing A. That's how you'll do supermoves.

The Super Moves aren't as strong as Final Smashes, they're stronger than regular attacks/specials though but they're not very powerful compared to Final Smashes. The Super Moves will do maybe double the damage of regular Smash Attacks, have a little more knock back, and look flashy looking but they're not too powerful.

Each character has 3 "Power Bars". One power bar allows you to do one Supermove. If you save up all 3 "Power Bars", you can use your character's regular Final Smash.

You fill up your "Power Bar" by taking damage or dealing damage.

You need to have taken 100% damage or damage someone else for 100%, or a combination of that to fill "1 Power Bar".

With the "Power Bar" filled, you can use a Supermove.

Example of possible Supermoves for Peach(remember, just examples):
1. Shin Shoryuken - Peach does what Ryu does with his Shin Shoryuken but instead uses her Umbrella to do the uppercuts.
2. Super Frying Pan/Golf Club/Tennis Racket combo - Peach does multiple attacks to an enemy with her Frying Pan/Golf Club/Tennic Racket. It'll be like her side smash but multiple hits and of course stronger.
3. Vegetable Smash - Peach slams the ground and a line of vegetables suddenly fly out of the ground and hits nearby enemies.

Final Smash(Peach Blossom) - Her regular Final Smash. Takes 3 "Power Bars" to use. All characters can use their regular Final Smash by saving "3 Power Bars".

So, would you have liked it better if they did "Supermoves" similar to Street Figher Alpha instead of doing the Final Smash Balls?

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
No.

It wouldn't even work because you'd walk and jump and duck when trying to input directions.

Plus, you'd be taking away what Smash IS. If I want to play Street Fighter, I'll...*gasp*... go play Street Fighter.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty we would all immediately proceed to throw the game away followed by gathering together to form a new world order where bad games are not tolerated.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
The bad thing about the input commands is that it totally destroys the simplicity of the current input system that Smash has.

There's A for standard attacks, and B for special attacks. Tilting the stick while pressing A or B causes you to select 3 additional attacks. Unless of course you're in the air, which allows you a different arieal neutral A + 4 aerial tilts. Smashing the stick while pressing A unleashes 1 of 3 Smash Attacks.... etc. etc. etc.

It's simple in concept, but it leads to a variety of different options. The move you use depends mostly upon the current state of the buttons and the control stick, and you can pull out attacks instantly.

Also, the "Super bar" being tied directly to damage taken is a bad idea. Being able to use a super move at 100% damage every game is extremely predicatble and most experienced players will simply find ways to stop you from even using it. And if they can't stop you from using it, well, that makes it incredibly stupid because then you have a situation where "You gave me 100% damage first and so therefore I win!"

On top of all of that, with the way that most Final Smashes are terribly unbalanced in comparison to others and some are even totally pointless... I'm just kinda glad that they gave us the chance to turn the FS ball off. We don't need 3 additional bad "super-or-maybe-not-so-super" moves on top of all that.

blizzard18

Smash Cadet
Somewhere within the cold depths of Minnesota...
I wouldn't like any supermoves or anything, but I think we should be able to charge up a meter by combos or something in order to earn our final smashes. I d*mn sick of hitting the smash ball 10 times then having wario come up and steal it from me with one swipe of his fat hand!!!! >:(

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If they made the FS like the instant kills in Guilty Gear that would be cool. They would have to make every single one of them an instant kill at 0%, impossible to combo into, and with some significant drawback to attempting to use it like losing your shield for the rest of the stock (so no one just keeps spamming it until it eventually hit). This is if it's not an item. As an item, it's fine the way it is.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
No.

It wouldn't even work because you'd walk and jump and duck when trying to input directions.

Plus, you'd be taking away what Smash IS. If I want to play Street Fighter, I'll...*gasp*... go play Street Fighter.
Uh, yeah, you walk and duck and jump if you do this in any conventional fighter as well if you don't input the sequence fast enough.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No. Because Smash has never been about button/directional input combinations. That's what makes Smash Smash. We don't have QCFs and HCFs and such.

We'd also, still, turn them off because they're too imbalanced.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Though I can see how this would be better in the eyes of some, I just don't see how this would work other than a character having multiple Final Smashes that could be unleashed like different special moves. One of the key things about the Smash franchise is its "complex simplicity", if you will. Input is much easier than say Street Fighter, leaving more room for strategy and tactics (sorry for being redundant). Having super moves over final smashes would mess with the formula and that's just not right.

That being said, I'll restate that I would mind having multiple FSs in SSB4.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
Although that sounds like a good idea, I think it would move Smash Bros closer to being a traditional and would thereby lose a lot of its charm.
i'm pretty happy with the current system, I don't think it should be changed.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Each super move should have their own condition. E.g. Mario can use his Final Smash after not using a Fire Ball for three minutes or something.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I would hate that. Smash Bros. just doesn't seem like a game for power bars, and ESPECIALLY not a game for individual combos (like your down, down-right, right, A) for the characters. That's one of the reasons I like Smash Bros. so much more than your typical fighter: not having to remember the combos, which I cannot for the life of me.

I like Smash Balls better. They're hilarious and awesome.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
yeah no, even sakauri said that he didnt like that kinda fighting which is why he made the damage percentage system instead of using standard health bars. He didnt want it to be just another fighting game. He wanted it to be a new game that does it own thing and is like no other game before it.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
No traditional fighting game mechanics will work in brawl. I can only see selectable supers working if there was a build up bar based on how much damage you've done to your opponent... but even then it just doesn't seem like it fits, because damage doesn't decide who wins. There's no good gauge to fill up a meter and there's no good way to implement a saving system with supers.

They just don't fit in smash.

Top Bottom