• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If MK is my main, who to second? or third or fourth... :)

raptyrX

Smash Cadet
I like the fast aggressive play style of MK, but I need a second, maybe even a third, but I dont want to have to learn drastically different playing styles. I dont spam MK specials at all so Im not concerned about differing specials at all because I just use it for recovery. Im just wondering whos fastest and most similar in tilts and aerials.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I knowww, but... just in case someone says, ZOMG MK HAX!!!
That really shouldn't be a problem since people at a lot of local tourney's know all about Meta Knight's match up, and how to get the upper hand on him since he's at just about every toruney now.

For your question, did you try ROB, King Dedede, or G&W? I'll say, those character's can turn out good if your Meta Knight is in trouble.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Toon link can be played aggresively in sucession ',; )

I main Toon second MK and third Diddy because they all have very good ariel game and i like the mind games they all have. and each in some way contributes to playing the others

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Snake is the character that MKs tend to have the most trouble with. Although I think it's 55:45 MK's favor, Dedede, ROB, and Pikachu do well against the one with the creepy butt.

Sunshine Bear

Smash Rookie
I main MK and when I play as Pit, I do very well.

I also feel that if you main MK, don't try to second a top character. The movements are all quite different. I tried to go Marth, G&W, D3, and Snake, and I couldn't do much with them. The only top characters in my head right now who could be similar are Falco and Diddy.

MK truly deserves to be in his own tier.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I main MK and I second is Falco. Though Falco has a different play style (recovery = WAAAAY different) Falco does have an ok air game and a very high first jump, and his Dsmash & Usmash are just as fast as MK's.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Kirby Franchise represent!
I use Meta Knight and King Dedede. Not because they are top tier. Because they are both awesome. XD
Seriously though. Surprisingly, even with different playstyles, I use them both to great effect. It's good having a tank and a speedster as options.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
No, he does not. He should be in the same tier as snake but above him.
Sorry but no. MK is truly a level above Snake.

Kirby Franchise represent!
I use Meta Knight and King Dedede. Not because they are top tier. Because they are both awesome. XD
Seriously though. Surprisingly, even with different playstyles, I use them both to great effect. It's good having a tank and a speedster as options.
DDD is your anti-snake, MK is your anti-everybody. God.......

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Hey illinialex! Don't think I'm a "tier-tard" who is only focused on match-ups! I use who I have fun with, and I have been a Kirby fan for years. I guess I'm lucky, it just works out that it covers. I do feel somewhat ashamed of it though...

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Secondary? If your still interested in speed then try; Fox, Shiek, Wolf, Marth, Kirby, Sonic. Their mechanics are different, but they all got some form of speed to offer you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hey illinialex! Don't think I'm a "tier-tard" who is only focused on match-ups! I use who I have fun with, and I have been a Kirby fan for years. I guess I'm lucky, it just works out that it covers. I do feel somewhat ashamed of it though...
Thats cool lol. I was a tier ***** who was terrible in melee. But take a look at who I main in Brawl. If I'm a tier *****, its because of what me and others striving to make Jigglypuff did, so I can feel good that I didn't choose her just on rankings.

Please elaborate.
First of all, Metaknight has no bad matchups. None. Just from the basic standpoint you can see that anyone with a slightly higher level of skill will consistently win, while Snake has multiple bad matchups. You can see from a very basic perspective already that its hard to beat Metaknight because you cannot completely counterpick him, unlike you can much more successfully on Marth, Falco, G&W, Diddy Kong, and R.O.B. as well as others (guess who's a great CP for Diddy Kong and people have almost no matchup experience with, for the answer, look at my sig :)). Second, he does very well on most stage layouts because he is very fast and doesn't has long range and high priority, meaning its harder to camp him and although stage does make a difference, its not as a crucial a factor as lets say a Wolf, who does great on FD but screwed over on Lylat Cruise, or similarly a Falco.

So he is less affected by stages and by opponents CP's and with his 1 ban stage, his only true weakness against a few characters, FD, is gone. Plus his potential is still really high and he has a very reliable and good approach. THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE IS BROKEN. It just means that he is above Snake, who can both be CPed character and stagewise, and will likely lose those matches if he is to someone of the same skill.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
If you main MK use DeDeDe as secondary and Snake as 3rd... Ultra tier queer combo Go Go Go.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
illinialex24 said:
THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE IS BROKEN
This is what people have failed to realize. As of now, unless things change like a part of me hopes they do, he is the character with the most potential of all, hence, top of the tier list. The tier list is not a measure of how "cheap" people are, so being top doesn't mean ZOMG HAX HE'S SO BROKE!! He's just excellent. Thankfully, hate is dying down, and people are finally accepting that he is not cheap.
And in case anyone wants to know, I do NOT use Snake or Falco! lol

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you main MK use DeDeDe as secondary and Snake as 3rd... Ultra tier queer combo Go Go Go.
Oh you do not want to know who I used in Melee. Main: Falco. Second: Marth. Third: Jigglypuff. Fourth: Sheik. Then again, I played by rotating the analog and C-stick because me and my friends sucked badly back then...... We really never tried new stuff and so our skill was wasted lol because we played stupidly, very stupidly. We though edgehugging was essentially cheating, edgeguarding was guaranteed suicide, aerial were a perfect setup to get grabbed, had no idea what wavedashing was.... We pressed C and analog lol.

This is what people have failed to realize. As of now, unless things change like a part of me hopes they do, he is the character with the most potential of all, hence, top of the tier list. The tier list is not a measure of how "cheap" people are, so being top doesn't mean ZOMG HAX HE'S SO BROKE!! He's just excellent. Thankfully, hate is dying down, and people are finally accepting that he is not cheap.
I have actually been arguing this for months and I think that King Dedede is a perfect reason why Metaknight is the last thing we should be worried about. His standing infinites are so cheap and give almost un-overcomable matchups that really hurt a lot of good characters tournament potential. G&W is like a slightly lesser version with his many broken matchups (did I tell you I had to play NoJ at a tournament.... not pretty... I hate bucket breaking). Metaknight is not broken.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Use Diddy for mindgames on the first round.It will carry on to the second match.Everyone else so you know their weaknesses is also an option

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
This is why I'm not competetive. I am not as ruthlessly "play to win" as some, and I try to avoid DDD's standing infinites. The other thing is, although Meta Knight CURRENTLY has no major disadvantageous match-ups, he has quite a few that are BARELY advantageous or neutral. There is NO broken character in this game, but my sentiments have changed. I used to be a tires don exits type, but it is indisputable some people/animals/objects are better.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you want proof there are tiers, take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHb2qL_V6Nk&fmt=6

And do not complain to me if you are angry because this video is almost completely unrelated showing a futile struggle between the two worst and most epic characters no matter how epic it is. I believe Praxis calling it "the birth of Chuck Norris" is good enough for all of us. Good day sirs.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
That guy is playing ganon....just thought i'd point that out.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Stick with MK and learn your matchups. Picking up an entirely different character for a neutral matchup is a futile attempt at getting an edge over your opponent.

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
This is why I'm not competetive. I am not as ruthlessly "play to win" as some, and I try to avoid DDD's standing infinites. The other thing is, although Meta Knight CURRENTLY has no major disadvantageous match-ups, he has quite a few that are BARELY advantageous or neutral. There is NO broken character in this game, but my sentiments have changed. I used to be a tires don exits type, but it is indisputable some people/animals/objects are better.
I hate to break it to you, but no other character in the game enjoys this. Every other character in the game has disadvantageous match-ups. And I'm not talking about 55-45 either, that doesn't count. But no, mk is not broken.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
KK let's lay down the law. This may be kinda newbish but I think you should really go with someone you like. Going by the tier list is good but not very fun.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I hate to break it to you, but no other character in the game enjoys this. Every other character in the game has disadvantageous match-ups. And I'm not talking about 55-45 either, that doesn't count
what does snake have that's worse than 45:55? and still, most people will play more than one character, why go for the neutral matchup when you can play another character that gives you a clear advantage?

on topic: I think DDD and Marth compliment MK very well

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
SexTornado said:
I hate to break it to you, but no other character in the game enjoys this. Every other character in the game has disadvantageous match-ups. And I'm not talking about 55-45 either, that doesn't count. But no, mk is not broken.
I am fully aware of this. It's true. As of this point in time, Meta Knight has nothing like Dedede to Snake. But, I truly believe it won't stay like this forever, though hypothetically it may. Few months ago, Snake was just as "disadvantage-free" as MK. And weaknesses were found. Meta has changed in peoples view from COMPLETELY cheap/broken/unfair/overpowered/hax with no flaws at all to something much more reasonable: still clearly the best, but not as unbeatable as he first seemed, with cracks in his armor emerging. I think some of his neutral match-ups may well swing against him with time, but even if they don't, it is clear that although he is exceptional, he is NOT broken. And finally, the general Smash community is beginning to accept this.
LOL, the TRUE Meta Knight fans don't have to hide as much for fear of hate!
(Marth is a goody too. Use whoever you like!)

uberNoob3r

Smash Rookie
I've managed to pick up Snake fairly easily. The one thing that you may have trouble with is getting used to the slower moves, which have more lag. This might be difficult, so other suggestions would be Marth and Toon Link.

Top Bottom