• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If There Were...

Haunted

Smash Cadet
If there were more people using Pokémon Trainer in tournaments, do you think Pokémon Trainer would have the potential to be at a higher tier on the Super Smash Brothers Brawl tier list that can be found here.

In my opinion, I'd say if enough people practice with Pokémon Trainer and he has a little bit more representation in tournaments, I sincerely think that Pokémon Trainer will be able to climb higher on the Super Smash Brother Brawl tier list. The reason why I say this is because one can essentially counter pick against an opponent during a single game. This would give a slight advantage against specific characters, such as heavier ones or lighter ones. Heaver characters would seem to have a slight disadvantage against Squirtle due to his lagless attacks. Squirtle is basically the Meta Knight of the Pokémon Trainer's trio of Pokémon. Against lighter characters, Charizard would be a better pick, because Charizard has string attacks that come with decent knock back.

I'd say Pokémon Trainer's has more advantages as opposed to drawbacks, since it's almost like it's three-on-one, since in a match, the Pokémon Trainer is able to switch between: Squirtle, Ivysuar, and Charizard, in that order. One can even pick their Pokémon of choice before the match starts, instead of it the Pokémon being random upon the start of the match. The Pokémon Trainer could also have an advantage against a good player that is not good at Directional Influencing, because Pokémon Trainer's Charizard has Flame Thrower and his Ivysuar has Bullet Seed, which both require for one's opponent to Direction Influence out of the attack. I can also see why people wouldn't want to use the Pokémon Trainer, because one must use all three of the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon during the whole course of the match; that is, if the match is three stock or higher. The stamina the Pokémon have isn't really that much of a drawback, because it only takes one minute for one Pokémon to be at full stamina again.

It also seems like Pokémon Trainer would place higher than some characters such as: Mario, Sheik, Peach, and Luigi, in my opinion. The Pokémon Trainer's Squirtle can also have a semi-infinite or infinite on walled stages with the use of Squartle's forward tilt attack. Another reason why I think Pokémon Trainer should move up on the tier list is because of specific situations in which one can switch their Pokémon for positive results. For example, if one has damage, or percent in the 100+ range, one can switch their Pokémon to Charizard because he is the heaviest character out of Squirtle, Ivysuar, and himself. Another reason why I think Pokémon Trainer would be able to move up on the Super Smash Brothers Brawl tier list is due to the fact that TheReflexWonder made it to the grand finals in some tournament that I don't know the name of. If it can happen once, I'm quite sure that it would be able to happen again. There are some good and intelligent players that play Pokémon Trainer in tournaments, such as Chuck Nasty and TheReflexWonder who do fairly well with Pokémon Trainer in tournaments, but it's not enough to bring Pokémon Trainer higher on the Super Smash Brothers Brawl tier list.

I wonder why Pokémon Trainer isn't that popular with some of the players. It seems like a pretty keen concept that one would be able to use more than one character in the same game, like Samus being able to switch into Zero Suit Samus and Sheik turning into Zelda, or vice-versa. So, tell your friends to use Pokémon Trainer during Super Smash Brothers Brawl Tournaments, so Pokémon Trainer has more representation than he currently has. If I left anything out, please let me know so I can amend it to this post. I feel like I did not include enough detail in this post, as I want to help contribute to this forum. So, let us hear your thoughts! Please, if there is a duplicate thread, don't hesitate to delete and or close my well, thought-out thread!

Miles.

Smash Champion
I dont think we need moar per se.

I think that we need the few to do better.

Kinda like Chu Dat with Icys in melee.

Haunted

Smash Cadet
I'm curious as to know how much it would take for Pokemon Trainer to actually advance on the tier list, in terms of tournament placings.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
-more popularity
-more experts
-less talk
-more action

That's what is needed to get to mid tier. To get to high tier, you need this:
-pray
-sell soul for wishes
-wish hard
-collect EVERY type of good luck charm
-abstain from bad luck practices (except black cats, which are inevitable)
-kill zombie horde in real life
-beg God to do so

If you do any of the above, PT could get high tier. For top tier, you need:
-Armageddon

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ummm... Why do people care so much about where PT stands in the tier list? Just play the game and forget about those silly tier lists.

Haunted

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying that I care about where Pokemon Trainer is on the tier list. I'm asking if he had more representation, would he advance on the tier list?

Onxy

Smash Lord
Sorry, I didn't answer you.

I don't think that any rep would help PT at this point. When reading what people think of PT, I try to see from their perspective, but their heads are too far up their a$$es

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
if he had more representation, would he advance on the tier list?
No. Considering 95% of pokemon trainer players don't place in tournaments anyway, i don't think any more not placing is going to help at all.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
The problem with PT is that since hes associated with Pokemon hes bound to always have a large scrub following. He also isn't a great character so those who can use him competitively need to have a solid secondary or be incredible with 2/3 Pokemon and still be good with 1. A lot of people dont know the matchup at all which really helps as well.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
You're looking at it wrong. Pokemon trainer is not high tier. But your Pokemon Trainer could be.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
You're looking at it wrong. Pokemon trainer is not high tier. But your Pokemon Trainer could be.
That doesn't make any sense. PT is an unrewarding character, its not like you play PT great and then you beat people who play great with other better characters. The learning curve is steep and pretty unfruitful. i only main PT due to my love for Pokemon and for the fun I get playing PT.

Onxy

Smash Lord
That doesn't make any sense. PT is an unrewarding character, its not like you play PT great and then you beat people who play great with other better characters. The learning curve is steep and pretty unfruitful. i only main PT due to my love for Pokemon and for the fun I get playing PT.
You are wrong. Any PT user who places high contradicts what you are saying.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Then give up, because if you just think like that, you're not gonna play your best, and that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Then give up, because if you just think like that, you're not gonna play your best, and that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
You guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to have a negative outlook it's an honest outlook. I play PT because I really enjoy playing as PT and it's not that I dont wanna be the very best like no one ever was. I'm merely stating that the work you put into PT is not as fruitful as the work you put into other, better characters. It doesn't mean PT is any less fun or any less worth playing, but the tier list isn't completely off in putting PT low tier. I made a post a couple of months about getting PT higher tier, but I realised it doesn't matter what tier PT is it just matters how much fun you have playing, and how well you can do with whomever you use.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I don't have any sources, right now.

I just mentioned tournaments. But did one or two players place high at hobo? Like 9? Still a good placing for that many people.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
agh..tiers!I hate tiers since it just makes people want to play popular characters and the people that don't get frowned upon.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
agh..tiers!I hate tiers since it just makes people want to play popular characters and the people that don't get frowned upon.
not really, if anything they are praised for being able to compete with worse characters. If you're a scrub with sonic then well yeah you'll prolly get frowned on, but if you **** with him i doubt ppl will care.

Onxy

Smash Lord
^So then what you were inferring is every player that places well disproves me, and since none of them have... well... point proven.
If we are talking about major tournies, then IDK. Other tournies that are still smaller, but still counted in tournament rankings, people do place high sometimes.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
If we are talking about major tournies, then IDK. Other tournies that are still smaller, but still counted in tournament rankings, people do place high sometimes.
well nothing really matters but large regional tourneys. Speaking of which I have a huge Canadian tourney on the 20th with some MI guys coming up (Lain, Anther, NoJ etc.) It's gonna ****. Hopefully I can bring home a top 25 (there will prolly be like 80 people for singles)

Haunted

Smash Cadet
Zephramrill, are you going to use only Pokémon Trainer only or Pokémon Trainer and Mr. Game and Watch?

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I will use GaW vs other GaWs, vs Falco, vs D3, vs Pikachu, vs IC, and anyone who absolutley overwhelms mp PT and I figure my GaW can handle it better. PT will always be used vs Snake, Marth, DK, basically every Low Tier and Mid Tier, and most High tiers.

Top Bottom