• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if you could add one move?

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
what move would you add one move to samus, or even switch it with another move what would it be? I would like to see mayce a different beam come into play, like the Anihilator beam from echos or a light or dark beam. what do you think?

Raging_Missiles

Smash Journeyman
The ice beam from Metroid Prime to freeze ure opponent for like 30 seconds and then the enemy shatters into tiny pieces and loses one stock

Then i cant argue with my friends that samus doesn't have too much as a character

Hamsterpie

Smash Apprentice
How about, ganon's roll speed/lag while she does fox's upsmash that shoot ice?

Nah, i'd make utilt-> usmash so you could charge and cstick it. Utilt would be something else.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Off topic first, Phanna...as in the crazy samus player from Florida that made Phanna Mint 1-3? Anyway...

Why would you change her Usmash? If you position the person with any small attack(Utilt, tapA, Dtilt for some) then you can combo them with the Usmash. Or use it as a protective move. It may end up being changed to a different element, but I hope that it stays the same. If they have to change it, make it so it attacks all above her at once.

The one move I would add, don't even have to think about that one. The Power Bomb, make it her DBsmash(down B) move. Like, how some characters(ie Link, Samus) have smashBF and fowardB attacks, Samus and maybe a few other characters could pick up a few smash down special moves. The power bomb takes about 2.5 seconds to explode, and when it does it creates a huge explosion like half the size of the Bullet Bill explosions in Peach's Castle. The only difference, unlike Bullet Bill which draws you in, the explosion would resemble PKfire, where you can DI out of it slowly. The giant powerful explosion is released after about 2 seconds of weak explosion, so unless you time it perfectly, you would only be helping your opponent because he/she would DI out of it and upB again.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
it would be cool if the power bomb could break sheilds instantly.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Up-Diagonal Hadouken. Having to use the sex-kick as an interceptor is teh gay.

Plus, Hadouken.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Why would you change her Usmash?
Because the move is garbage. It has minimal uses and even in those cases I'd rather use something more effective. Sure you can hit fast fallers with it, use it under platforms, or try to get lucky and hope you get the last hiboxt in. Over all though, it's junk and leaves you way too open for punishment.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Because the move is garbage. It has minimal uses and even in those cases I'd rather use something more effective. Sure you can hit fast fallers with it, use it under platforms, or try to get lucky and hope you get the last hiboxt in. Over all though, it's junk and leaves you way too open for punishment.
Well maybe you just use it wrong. Even against opponents that routinely beat my Samus(crewmembers, drephen) I never get punished for using the Usmash because I always get it.

it would be cool if the power bomb could break sheilds instantly.
Yes. Yes it would.

LOL the one thng above all others that they need to improve on is like Phanna said "the GOD -Awful ROLL"

Can i get an amen ?
Um...or you could just waveshield. The only characters I roll with in the entire game, ever, are Ness and Jiggs. Everyone else, either dash, jump, or WD.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well haven't u ever rolled accidentally and then witness ur samus get punished for it? Cuz it sux when it happens
Yes, plenty of times in my younger years. But after realizing that there are many other options open to you(ie Dsmash, Usmash, Waveshield, shieldgrab, upB, spotdodge, jump Nair), you think to yourself maybe the roll is useless for a reason?

I just keep thinking to myself that there is some reason the creators gave only 2 characters in the game, Yoshi and Samus, crapy rolls. I don't know, I guess that if they replaced it with a different roll, Samus would have to roll like everyone else instead of morph ball mode.

Corigames

Smash Hero
replace upsmash with a decent vertical kill move (or just remove it so you could only uptilt :p)
YES! This is what I complain about all the time! Where did they get the idea to put the flamethrowe in as one of her attacks anyway? That's in no metroid game out there.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
YES! This is what I complain about all the time! Where did they get the idea to put the flamethrowe in as one of her attacks anyway? That's in no metroid game out there.
Actually, that move can be found in Metroid Prime. If you used the beam combo for the plasma beam, Samus would use what the game called a Flamethrower attack. While not very useful due to the short range and rapid missile consumption, this attack was very powerful at close range. All they need to do is make it a little stronger.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
only n00bs roll, besides samus has a superwavedash that you could use instead.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Needs badly: ability to shield grab, a new up-smash, better roll, switch freely between Samus & Zamus without meeting some weird "Special Conditions".

Things I don't want to lose but probably will: extended grapple (PAL), Bomb Grapple Cancle (Pal), Ledge Grapple Cancel (Glitch), Grapple Jump (Glitch), SWD and variations (Glitch), maybe even Missile Cancle (Bowser's Flame Cancle)

Extras to make her broken: New Beams like Ice or Wave, Power bomb, bomb while charging to drop multiple bombs at once (ala Super Metroid), up/down angleable blast (too broken!). And whatever junk she gets in Prime/Hunters since I've never really played through them...

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Needs badly: ability to shield grab, a new up-smash, better roll, switch freely between Samus & Zamus without meeting some weird "Special Conditions".

Things I don't want to lose but probably will: extended grapple (PAL), Bomb Grapple Cancle (Pal), Ledge Grapple Cancel (Glitch), Grapple Jump (Glitch), SWD and variations (Glitch), maybe even Missile Cancle (Bowser's Flame Cancle)

Extras to make her broken: New Beams like Ice or Wave, Power bomb, bomb while charging to drop multiple bombs at once (ala Super Metroid), up/down angleable blast (too broken!). And whatever junk she gets in Prime/Hunters since I've never really played through them...
Disagree.
I guess it couldn't hurt.
YEESSSS!

Lost.
Put in on purpose.
Will probably stay.

Deffinately needed.
No clue what you are talking about.
More broken than Marth. Why would you even say that?!?

CHUK

Smash Ace
For the voice of my friend who plays pro samus, hacked grabs. His beam is great but it has its faults in this area.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
The things in parenthesis are reasons why it would possibly not be carried over. Such as the move already being removed in PAL versions, the move actually being a glitch that might be corrected or just not exist based on different physics of the new character animations, or in the case of Missile Canceling I used Bowser's Flame Canceling removal in later versions as an example.

Point being, all those crazy *** things Samus can pull off is part of the draw to playing her. Problem is that they are also mostly unintentional glitches and I'd hate to see them go. Wouldn't want Samus' main draw to turn into the fact that Zamus is a Sheik clone. :(

No clue what you are talking about.
In Super Metroid, if you pressed down while charging up your blast, it would drop 5 bombs and they'd spread around you. That's what I'm refering to. Nothing big, but could come in handy maybe and it wouldn't need to be its own move.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
The things in parenthesis are reasons why it would possibly not be carried over. Such as the move already being removed in PAL versions, the move actually being a glitch that might be corrected or just not exist based on different physics of the new character animations, or in the case of Missile Canceling I used Bowser's Flame Canceling removal in later versions as an example.
"Things I don't want to lose but probably will: extended grapple (PAL), Bomb Grapple Cancle (Pal), Ledge Grapple Cancel (Glitch), Grapple Jump (Glitch), SWD and variations (Glitch), maybe even Missile Cancle (Bowser's Flame Cancle)"

Lost.
Put in on purpose.
Will probably stay.

This is what we are talking about. Yes Bowser's flame cancel was changed, but in all versions you can Missile cancel just as you can SHL with Falco. It is intentional not a glitch.

The extended grapple is not a glitch either. It was programed into the game. Evidence being that there is a specific button sequence to activating it, along with preset frames during which the buttons can be pressed. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are, but I do know that, after pressing Z to grapple, you must press up down up on the Dpad, then Z again before the grapple beam is fully extended. Given that the parameters are so specific, it would be odd that this were un-intentional, so I classified it as not a glitch.

Ledge grapple cancel is automatically grabbing the edge after airdodging and grappling, rather than going to the grapple animation. The grapple is a grab, so this makes perfect sense that you could grab an edge. Other characters, mainly Mewtwo and Jiggs, can also grab an edge when even with it, while all others must be above it after airdodging. Seeing how this aspect is present in other characters, I was hesitent to classify it as a glitch.

I agreed with you that the bomb grapple cancel, the SWD and variations, and the grapple jump boost, were all glitches and probably won't be present in Brawl.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Actually, that move can be found in Metroid Prime. If you used the beam combo for the plasma beam, Samus would use what the game called a Flamethrower attack. While not very useful due to the short range and rapid missile consumption, this attack was very powerful at close range. All they need to do is make it a little stronger.
Even though that is true, they had the Flamethrower attack on the original SSB, long before Prime came out.

Anyway, I wish the grapple would come out faster so that I could actually shield grab once in a while :mad: !!!

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
"Things I don't want to lose but probably will: extended grapple (PAL), Bomb Grapple Cancle (Pal), Ledge Grapple Cancel (Glitch), Grapple Jump (Glitch), SWD and variations (Glitch), maybe even Missile Cancle (Bowser's Flame Cancle)"

Lost.
Put in on purpose.
Will probably stay.

This is what we are talking about. Yes Bowser's flame cancel was changed, but in all versions you can Missile cancel just as you can SHL with Falco. It is intentional not a glitch.

The extended grapple is not a glitch either. It was programed into the game. Evidence being that there is a specific button sequence to activating it, along with preset frames during which the buttons can be pressed. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are, but I do know that, after pressing Z to grapple, you must press up down up on the Dpad, then Z again before the grapple beam is fully extended. Given that the parameters are so specific, it would be odd that this were un-intentional, so I classified it as not a glitch.

Ledge grapple cancel is automatically grabbing the edge after airdodging and grappling, rather than going to the grapple animation. The grapple is a grab, so this makes perfect sense that you could grab an edge. Other characters, mainly Mewtwo and Jiggs, can also grab an edge when even with it, while all others must be above it after airdodging. Seeing how this aspect is present in other characters, I was hesitent to classify it as a glitch.

I agreed with you that the bomb grapple cancel, the SWD and variations, and the grapple jump boost, were all glitches and probably won't be present in Brawl.
I never said that Missile Canceling or Extended Grapple were glitches. The only ones I labeled as a glitch is what says (glitch) after it. However Extended Grapple (an easter egg) was already taken out for the PAL version (as was bomb grapple-cancel, which truely was a glitch) so why would we assume it will be in Brawl. Also, I know MC is most likely intentional but who's to say that will stay either? I mean they took out Bowser's Flame Cancel for some reason, and perhaps they'll see how exploitable Falco's SHL was in Melee and wish to prevent it. I wouldn't be surprised it it's not in Brawl, though it's the least likely of the list to be cut.

I'm aware of that ledge/grapple technique you describe. It's simply grappleing when you're too close to the wall and the animation doesn't come out. Normally you'd fall to you're death but since the ledge is there, you catch it. You're not actually grabbing the ledge with the grapple at all, just falling into after the grapple fails. So yeah, that will stay.

What I was actually refering to though is when you Grapple Jump and your beam latches on the wall but gets cut off as you pass the ledge, allowing you to do anything you'd like afterwards. Since we both agree that Grapple Jumping is an unintentional glitch which likely won't return, Ledge Grapple(jump) Cancle wouldn't either since it requires use of the Grapple Jump.

Darr06

Smash Cadet
i think it would be awesome if sammy could alternate her guns between the ice, charge, and plasma shots. or perhaps the triple beam from super metroid. that would b sweet.

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
The important thing about adding new attacks is to think realistically. There needs to be some sort of weakness. Aside from grabs, of course.

As you can tell, I've thought a lot about this. I couldn't choose just one, so I put all of my thoughts on this down. Sorry...

Simple add-ons:

Beam Switcher
Able to switch beams while charging, by pressing an analog direction during the charging phase, much like the C-stick function in the Prime versions. Cannon glows the assigned color.

Power bomb
Self-explanatory. Like the difference between Power Missiles and Homing Missiles. Although, this could disrupt bomb jumping. Weakness: To be determined. I could go with a horrible start up lag, or maybe the opponent can pick it up and throw it before it detonates... IDK, it's just a thought.

Grab attacks:

Hyper-mode (Throw)
She grapples her opponent, pulls them in, and unleashes a rapid-fire explosion of pure phazon power on them. (I've been toying with this in my head for a while)

Missile Explosion (Throw)
Grapples, pulls them in close, switches hands and fires a missile right into their chest, blasting them away.

Quick Grab (Attack)
Grapples, but pulls them quickly into her shoulder, like combining a dash attack with her grab.
Releases opponent upon impact. Maybe a time-frame in which you have to press A before it becomes a regular grab attack?

More Projectiles:

Super Missile
Need I say more? Much like the Charge shot, this can be stored. Possibilty to allow beam switches and have missile combos lead from this. Weakness: Horrible start-up lag. Similar to the charge shot.

Wave beam missile combo (Metroid Prime)
Attacks from a distance of about 5-10 meters. Follows opponent up to 30 degrees above or below Samus. Weakness: 30 degree limit allows opponents to jump over this attack. Like Bowser's flames, this decays over time, so it cannot be held for too long. Much shorter, due to the fact that it would attach to your opponent.

Ice Beam missile combo (Metroid Prime)
Freezes opponent for a short time, much like the IC. Weakness: Power decays over distances, so long distance shots do not freeze the opponent for very long. Slow moving (not too slow as to be useless).

Plasma beam missile combo (Metroid Prime)
Shoots out a short, flamethrower in front of Samus. Similar to Bowser's flames, but parallel to the ground. Weaknesses: Just look at Bowser's flames. Decays over time.

I've also thought about some of the things from Metroid Prime 2, but as of right now, it just over complicates things. For another day, perhaps.
That black hole thing with the Dark Beam missile combo would be cool, though. But way too overpowering.

_clinton

Smash Master
How about the Crystal Flash from Super Metroid? (The Life up move) It would be like PK Magnet.

Beam Swiching would be sweet however I would rather combine them.

Raging_Missiles

Smash Journeyman
The important thing about adding new attacks is to think realistically. There needs to be some sort of weakness. Aside from grabs, of course.

As you can tell, I've thought a lot about this. I couldn't choose just one, so I put all of my thoughts on this down. Sorry...

Simple add-ons:

Beam Switcher
Able to switch beams while charging, by pressing an analog direction during the charging phase, much like the C-stick function in the Prime versions. Cannon glows the assigned color.

Power bomb
Self-explanatory. Like the difference between Power Missiles and Homing Missiles. Although, this could disrupt bomb jumping. Weakness: To be determined. I could go with a horrible start up lag, or maybe the opponent can pick it up and throw it before it detonates... IDK, it's just a thought.

Grab attacks:

Hyper-mode (Throw)
She grapples her opponent, pulls them in, and unleashes a rapid-fire explosion of pure phazon power on them. (I've been toying with this in my head for a while)

Missile Explosion (Throw)
Grapples, pulls them in close, switches hands and fires a missile right into their chest, blasting them away.

Quick Grab (Attack)
Grapples, but pulls them quickly into her shoulder, like combining a dash attack with her grab.
Releases opponent upon impact. Maybe a time-frame in which you have to press A before it becomes a regular grab attack?

More Projectiles:

Super Missile
Need I say more? Much like the Charge shot, this can be stored. Possibilty to allow beam switches and have missile combos lead from this. Weakness: Horrible start-up lag. Similar to the charge shot.

Wave beam missile combo (Metroid Prime)
Attacks from a distance of about 5-10 meters. Follows opponent up to 30 degrees above or below Samus. Weakness: 30 degree limit allows opponents to jump over this attack. Like Bowser's flames, this decays over time, so it cannot be held for too long. Much shorter, due to the fact that it would attach to your opponent.

Ice Beam missile combo (Metroid Prime)
Freezes opponent for a short time, much like the IC. Weakness: Power decays over distances, so long distance shots do not freeze the opponent for very long. Slow moving (not too slow as to be useless).

Plasma beam missile combo (Metroid Prime)
Shoots out a short, flamethrower in front of Samus. Similar to Bowser's flames, but parallel to the ground. Weaknesses: Just look at Bowser's flames. Decay's over time.

I've also thought about some of the things from Metroid Prime 2, but as of right now, it just over complicates things. For another day, perhaps.
That black hole thing with the Dark Beam missile combo would be cool, though. But way too overpowering.

Holy **** these are some good ideas especially the grab into missle explosion cuz that would be a great animation and if they put that in i wouldn't even mind the lag she already has cuz it would be sweet seeing the animation

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
Thanks. I think about these kinds of things a lot...
Example:
You know how when you change CF's color to red, it says blood falcon on his back? Well, what if you could change Samus' color so that she became Dark Samus, but all her weapons were phazon infused? No increased abilities or anything, it would just be pretty sweet to see. I even drew a picture for it based on this idea, with Dark Samus leaned over firing a phazon-infused missile. I've since uploaded it to the computer, but it's way too big and vB code doesn't let me adjust picture sizes. Otherwise, my signature would have been a lot easier to do. (I had to adjust it about 3 times so that it would fit)

Darr06

Smash Cadet
yeah respawn, mad props to you. u guys remember in the original smash how every1 had cool entrances and samus came in on her star ship....well i just thought it would be cool to bring those back. it wouldnt change the gameplay any but it would b sweet

Super Samus 99

Smash Apprentice
Yeah,change Samus's Usmash.I'd also like her Fthrow and Bthrow to be as strong as they were in SSB64.Not her Uthrow or Dthrow,though.They're used for comboing.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but she could be more powerful if she had all the features mentioned in Respawn's post.

Top Bottom