• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you have laggy internet, please don't pick ZSS

Turbopasta

Smash Rookie
I'm feeling pretty salty right now but I'm going to try to contain my salt for the duration of this post. I just finished about an hour's worth of For Glory games against a guy who only played as ZSS. From the first couple games I could tell he was pretty good so I decided to stay and see if I could actually beat him and figure out a counter for his character. I stayed for the intention of learning her matchup and generally getting better at the game.

Fighting his ZSS was very frustrating for multiple reasons, but eventually, I began to learn his playstyle and moves he often fell back on.

The problem was, even though I had figured their moves out and I saw my opponent as predictable, I still could not win any games. I mean, I won a couple, but I lost the vast majority of them as multiple characters.

I then finally figured out why I was losing so many of my games: it was because of lag. Yes, lag effects both players, but I started to understand that ZSS has very tight windows for punishment and when there is lag, punishing her becomes impossible. I must have been hit by her flip-jump attack hundreds of times, and even though I shielded almost all of them, I could never manage to punish her in time after doing this. Nothing I could throw out with my usually characters was able to connect, and I wasn't even playing as heavies.

Don't get me wrong, his ZSS wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. He knew how to combo and follow up moves appropriately. I wouldn't be surprised if he was reading this post right now. But when your opponent becomes essentially invincible, there is a problem with the way the game is set up.

It wasn't just flip-jump that got a huge lag-buff. Her pistol also becomes incredibly lethal. Even with perfect reaction speed on my end I still got hit by it multiple times, which just leads to ZSS getting a free punishment hit off. If I shielded a dash attack and she went past, I couldn't pivot-grab or pivot-attack fast enough to do anything significant. spot-dodging is too unreliable with lag and the double-hit, so I couldn't do that either.

I finally caved after about 20 games and went Little Mac, a character so fast that I feel like I'm using cheat codes when I pick him. I suddenly beat him 4 times in a row and he left. Right now, "For Glory" mode might as well have 3 characters, Sonic, Little Mac and ZSS, because they're all so fast nothing else even matters.

I'm feeling pretty bitter towards the whole thing now, but at the same time this makes me look forward to the Wii-U release of smash in the future. It might be silly of me trying to take this game seriously in it's current state, but I don't know, I tend to get obsessed with things occasionally. My main point is just, if you're lagging, please pick a fair and reasonable character. Pick Mario. Ganon. Koopa Jr.. I don't care. Just don't pick a character that becomes untouchable when played in a laggy environment.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
As a ZSS player, I can't really argue with this; laggy internet in tow, my win rate with ZSS in For Glory is 100%. :awesome:

Rybaia

Smash Journeyman
A good ZSS with good connection is way scarier than a good one with lag issues.
To me she is a character that rewards precision and being on point, can't do that in the lag.
My 2 cents.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I'm a ZSS main, myself. If it lags, it's almost always because of my opponent. The lag can really break my combos because it freezes when I'm about to shoot the Paralyzer and my opponent can shield it off. Then there's also when I try a dash attack and they can punish me after it stops lagging in the middle of it. But I guess I can't really argue: I do the same thing a ton of the time.

I guess it really depends on the people you face.

ThisNickname

Smash Rookie
It wasn't a white-suited Samus, was it? Cuz maybe it was me. X)
Either way, sorry dude, but I'm calling salty johns. Lag happens and both players gotta deal with it.

CupofT

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3738-0810-2101
Sorry but didn't really absorb most of the post after I read the title and read the first part about playing with lag and with the same person for an hour. No matter what the skill level I leave if there's too much lag (if there's a minor hiccup then I'm okay with that I'll stay for BO3/5). IMO there's nothing to learn from laggy matches other than I'm going to get salty.

Daisy101

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't a white-suited Samus, was it? Cuz maybe it was me. X)
Either way, sorry dude, but I'm calling salty johns. Lag happens and both players gotta deal with it.
No and you're wrong into this, make sure you dont browser or use the Wifi for your 3DS only, its your responsibility for a stable connection, remember its a Peer to Peer just like fighting games online.

Top Bottom