• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you suck too much, the game gives you a free final smash

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Stephen Totilo at MTV added some impressions from the Nintendo Media Summit:

But maybe I can make things better with a trio of facts that Multiplayer’s resident “Smash Bros.” expert tells me are, in fact, news:

1. The character Pit, from “Kid Icarus,” can jump four times. Even using this ability I was getting trounced by better players.
2. If you get trounced too much the game gives you a break, re-spawning the player in fully-charged and ready to deliver a Final Smash, a mercy-Final-Smash, as it were. If being bad at a game is what it takes for me to get the big scoop, then so be it.
3. The game’s assist trophies — Nintendo-themed bonus characters that can be used to supplement your attacks — include the girl from “Sin & Punishment.” I know this because I threw an assist trophy capsule and out she jumped, gunning down the enemy characters.
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007...sh-brothers-brawl-plus-3-possible-exclusives/

So it's okay to suck ^_^

Whether or not you can turn this feature off is the big question here...

Not sure if it's old but "Final Smash" isn't exactly a good search term and I couldn't find Stephen Totilo's name anywhere.

Break

Smash Apprentice
That's...so lame. A crappy player shouldn't be rewarded for being, well, crappy.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Wow...thats disappointing, I thought Sakurai knew better. Eh, you never know if this is true or not till the game comes out.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Wow, just when I had convinced myself that Sakurai couldn't do something this stupid. This is just pure bad design seeing as some final smashes are basically a free KO.

If there isn't an in game option to turn this off, action replay might become standard gear for tournaments

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
wow, taking a turn for mario kart double dash. Exactly what I didn't want from brawl

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I bet if you lose 4 stocks in a row you get a free stock to go with your free FS.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
What the hell? In Melee you could customise everything about your matches. Why do you all think that you won't be able to in Brawl? Did someone run around your houses handing out free pessimism?

In my opinion, if anything the function will be off as default, but could be turned on. It was on during E for All because what if a new gamer got pit against someone who was a pro from Melee? Getting repetitively beaten down wont please everyone.

Shato

Banned via Administration
Samus got it after three deaths with no kills. Equal to -3 score, and even if you were that bad you probably don't know how to properly use the Final Smash. It isn't all that bad.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I hate Mario Kart Double Dash for stuff like this. >=[

And no, not everything was customizable in Melee. I don't remember being able to turn off exploding crates if you wanted other items on. Still, let's hope it is able to be turned off.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That sucks.... a lot. Brawl seems to become more noob friendly than ever...
What do you expect in a game not made specifically for pro players...It is a party game after all

Besides, your complaining because they gave something to sucky players...

If they sucked that much...couldn't you defeat them anyway?

Gavisi

Smash Rookie
I've been wondering for a while if Smash Balls are actually considered items. Between their method of appearance (the flash on screen) and the fact that you can apparently get one by losing, they might be in a class of their own. I could see them being a separate on/off choice, outside of normal items.

Anyway. A free FS for losing badly is just stupid. It probably won't have much of an effect on competitive play considering just how badly you have to be losing, but hopefully there's an option for turning it off.

SmirkySmirker

Smash Rookie
This is really bad. It's basically taking all need to practice and get good out of the game. You can just jump off a few times, get a final smash, get 3 kills, and it's all good.

-_-

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Well hopefully its going by the -3 score that is in TIME battle that only made the free FS possible

But da.mn if these FS's stay on in this game I'm going to be pretty pissed at Sakurai...............enough to make a video of me breaking a smash disc pissed..........I didn't argue with pure people about smash not being casual friendly to have sakurai screw up like this

Edit: I'll probably buy another disc anyway :p or have another one already to play.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
What do you expect in a game not made specifically for pro players...It is a party game after all

Besides, your complaining because they gave something to sucky players...

If they sucked that much...couldn't you defeat them anyway?
Depends if it is as bad as Mario Kart Double Dash. I had a half a chance at winning whenever I played against my friends. I say this because I will always be in front because I could snake a good half a lap or more a head of them (depending on what is coming next). Anyways, the more I got in front the better items the last people get. I got hit with all sorts of good items because of my driving abilities. It was not uncommon for me to get hit 2-3 times by blue shells and maybe even more. Not to mention the other items hit me too while trying to create distance.

As you can see, the old "well they suck too much anyways" would not work if it works like anything from Mario Kart Double Dash on frantic (I think that is what my friends kept the mode on). It doesn't look like it, but still. This is not a good thing. lol

shadydentist

Smash Lord
If this works out sort of like a 'limit break' for smash, it shouldn't affect the outcome too much. Probably, the most you can hope for is to prevent yourself from getting four stocked.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
aaaaa quit whining, if youre really good enough to get someone to respawn with final smash youre probably good enough to make sure they dont take advantage of it

OR

If they really suck bad enough to get it they probably can't even use a Final Smash correctly

Its all about balance

+ This aint mario kart

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
wow, Sakurai must of though that these poor n00bs wouldn't be so good at it so he's compassionate enough to give them a Free FS orb

Ellio 2 b

Smash Apprentice
Well, lets all hope that there is an on/off option. That would be really dumb if not. And Melee had a lot of different options too. Don't worry! Brawl will be freakin sweet!

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
You know, it's not even about the fact that they are giving sucky players something for losing.

This is rewarding for something negative. Sure, if they suck you should still be able to beat them even if they get a free FS but, what if other stuff like this get implanted?

I don't care if smash balls can be turned off or not, I'm just hoping that this is the only thing that the game does to reward bad players.

What's the point of being good if the person you're beating is going to win out of pity from the game?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If there's no option for this I'll just beat the living **** out of the noob and steal his FS.

alxkun

Smash Rookie
I thinl this is only fpr the demo, for players that are new to the game and getting beaten dont feal so bad.
But if is for the game when it comes then I am sure there will be an off/on for it

Master.Lord.Marth.

Smash Journeyman
aaaaa quit whining, if youre really good enough to get someone to respawn with final smash youre probably good enough to make sure they dont take advantage of it

OR

If they really suck bad enough to get it they probably can't even use a Final Smash correctly

Its all about balance

+ This aint mario kart
Two words: Invincibility Frames.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Making ssbb more "n00b friendly" is a marketing strategy. They already have us loving the game, we would still reserve it without the easier play, expanded adventure mode and all that. While I would like an option to take out final smashes period, I don't think it would be that bad to play with my friends who haven't practiced the game as much as I have so they can enjoy playing the game like I do.

TheZeroOne

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I agree with alxkun. This is probably only for the demo so new people to the Super Smash universe won't be turned away by it when they lose to a pro.

Ellio 2 b

Smash Apprentice
Making ssbb more "n00b friendly" is a marketing strategy. They already have us loving the game, we would still reserve it without the easier play, expanded adventure mode and all that. While I would like an option to take out final smashes period, I don't think it would be that bad to play with my friends who haven't practiced the game as much as I have so they can enjoy playing the game like I do.
I agree, final smashes are awesome, but they can be annoying sometimes. :psycho:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Is a silly move by sakurai but anyways guys be sincere...... Do you really think someone can magically come back from a 4-0 deficit with a single final smash ?(and takn in consioderation the fact that he just got owned, i really doubt he wiill even lad it).

Not big deal imo. As long as it is customizable (able to turn this off) im fine.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Dudes quit whining like babies.

Even with Final Smash, at most you could get 3 kills. -3 to break even at 0 is not a big deal. Doesn't put you in first. I also have Mario Kart Double Dash and I burned everyone even with their blue shells to help. Only thing that bothers me about the game is the AIs always throw items at you whether you are behind them or in front of them. They never throw it at each other if you are in range.

Top Bottom