• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IGN plays Project M.

Morin0

Smash Lord
What's funny is that if you look at the related videos, it's obviously casuals playing but does it look like they're not having fun? At some points of the video it looks like they're just playing Brawl and they're just throwing out moves without much thought into it but it's Project M; it plays more like Melee than Brawl. So why is this significant? If players can have fun just messing around in Brawl and they can equally have as much fun messing around in Project M, then what is there to fight about how Melee was too hard? More importantly, why did Sakurai feel the need to create Brawl with the full intent to discourage tournamennt/competitive play if casuals can still have fun with mashing buttons and throwing pokeballs and if they wanted to improve from casual play, the game allows you to be technical and competitive? I'm aware that Brawl can be competitive too but Melee is a different type of competitive, imo.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Can't say I'm a big fan of mods and stuff like that as I like Brawl for what it is, but I have to admit that's pretty cool to see PM getting attention like that.

I didn't know that a Castlevania stage would be included as well. Cool beans. lol

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
best part about it all is so far a large portion of people there seem to be interested and even excited for it.

when you've got the non-competitive players excited for your work on a mod that is for the most part tailored to and made for the competitive crowd, you know you've done somethign right.

many are even praising y'all here on the PM team enough to say they wish you worked for nintendo yourselves on the next smash.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Wasn't the feedback on the last big news piece on Project M kind of bad? I recall a bunch of people on the comments dismissing this off. The general feedback on this is pretty interesting and as Mr. K pointed out, if you have a bunch of casuals excited for this then you've done something right.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Project M is not really a different game from Brawl casually.

Nintendo created Smash Bros. for multiple types of play. None of the three games were made for any specific type of play and the fourth game will be made under the same mindset.

"These guys should work for Nintendo" I love to see people say dumb things as if these hackers are superior game designers. The next Smash Bros. will be a classic just like the others and people will yet again whine about the roster and the fighting engine and hack that too.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Project M is not really a different game from Brawl casually.

Nintendo created Smash Bros. for multiple types of play. None of the three games were made for any specific type of play and the fourth game will be made under the same mindset.

"These guys should work for Nintendo" I love to see people say dumb things as if these hackers are superior game designers. The next Smash Bros. will be a classic just like the others and people will yet again whine about the roster and the fighting engine and hack that too.
I really hope it doesn't come to that. them modding Brawl was because there was quite a bit of flaws(though not to the extremes some make it sound like it has.) if they feel they had to modify SSB4 on Wii-U or 3DS, then that would just be sad.

on a side note, Sakurai also said that SSB4 is aiming for a whole new playstyle, since he said he doesn't want to just make another update with more characters and stages.so it's not a question if they fix the problems of Brawl are fixed, but if this new playstyle is on par or superior to the way it's played before.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
The development team SHOULD get jobs under nintendo because from the looks of this project, it's obvious that they're very talented individuals who know how to put time into something and make it work spectacularly.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The development team SHOULD get jobs under nintendo because from the looks of this project, it's obvious that they're very talented individuals who know how to put time into something and make it work spectacularly.
Just keep in mind there's a huge difference between making games and editing games.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To sum up the responses:

"People who have a dogged obsession for replicating a specific experience should work in a field that relies on innovation"

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just keep in mind there's a huge difference between making games and editing games.
You're right. If we were making a game, we'd have the source code and wouldn't have to be coding in Assembly language in 2012.
Exactly.

Project M is just a hack.
It's thoughts like this that hold people back, tbh. What was Counterstrike? Just a hack. And look what happened. PC modding has been popular for likely a decade (not 100% sure), but for whatever reason people always feel iffy about console modding. I understand if you don't enjoy Project M or are against the concept, that's fine, different strokes for different folks etc. but it's a bit insulting when after this IGN feature we could very well be the Counterstrike of console modding. I'm not asking you to love Project M or anything but at least have an open mind.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well let's see if Nintendo gives you any official permission to mod stuff and base a comunity around such things.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

If they do though then by all means go nuts imo it'd be great.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
When Brawl+ was at it's peak it also had a large community around it and it was even run in tournaments, and Nintendo was aware and perfectly fine with that, along with all the other smaller mods that existed and still exist today.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'd just like to point out, as someone who has been working around with source sdk for the past year or so, the amount of work put into project m still probably doesn't outweigh how much **** the people hired by Nintendo have done. This isn't an insult to them, but saying OH NINTENDO NEEDS 2 HIRE DEM is pushing it. Also, I'm not even gonna kind get into why this isn't the "Counterstrike" of console modding, comparing how Valve acquires people and ip's to Nintendo is just plain ridiculous.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You're right. If we were making a game, we'd have the source code and wouldn't have to be coding in Assembly language in 2012.

It's thoughts like this that hold people back, tbh. What was Counterstrike? Just a hack. And look what happened. PC modding has been popular for likely a decade (not 100% sure), but for whatever reason people always feel iffy about console modding. I understand if you don't enjoy Project M or are against the concept, that's fine, different strokes for different folks etc. but it's a bit insulting when after this IGN feature we could very well be the Counterstrike of console modding. I'm not asking you to love Project M or anything but at least have an open mind.
PC Modding has been popular since Doom. That's 15 years of PC modding.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well let's see if Nintendo gives you any official permission to mod stuff and base a comunity around such things.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

If they do though then by all means go nuts imo it'd be great.
You're just not ready, brother

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If players can have fun just messing around in Brawl and they can equally have as much fun messing around in Project M, then what is there to fight about how Melee was too hard?
Wow ... seriously? The argument about it being too hard is from a competitive perspective. It has nothing to do with casuals playing it for fun. You take any competitive multiplayer game and turn it into something casual.

To sum up the responses:

"People who have a dogged obsession for replicating a specific experience should work in a field that relies on innovation"
I laughed.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Wow ... seriously? The argument about it being too hard is from a competitive perspective. It has nothing to do with casuals playing it for fun. You take any competitive multiplayer game and turn it into something casual.
I could've sworn someone said that about casuals. :glare:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'M SORRY BROTHER, I'M CLEARLY NOT READY BROTHERjack

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Better take that strong off because he made you look bad, brother.

----

People did some tough work for this and has done a great job on this mod. I do think Nintendo will be fine with it, but you never know.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Better take that strong off because he made you look bad, brother.

----

People did some tough work for this and has done a great job on this mod. I do think Nintendo will be fine with it, but you never know.
Even if nintendo isn't ok with it, what would they do about it?

Morin0

Smash Lord
Well, for one thing, Nintendo was the reason Brawl at MLG didn't have a stream.

They can do things... o______o

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, for one thing, Nintendo was the reason Brawl at MLG didn't have a stream.

They can do things... o______o
The irony is that this occurred because Nintendo did nothing. MLG attempted to contact them several times to get permission to stream (an MLG policy, one that I don't disagree with but it was unfortunate in this case) and never got a reply.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

I mean, in a sense it is similar but at the same time there are things that would need t to happen for this to me fully A-ok.

Like Nintendo saying, "Hey let's team up and make this work!"

Which is a lot less likely than Valve since Valve is really really hack friendly.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Generally the word "hack" implies illegal or unauthorized activity. They release their content out there for people to play around with and use in their own maps and games. I don't see how that's hacking.

And once again, Project M is not even close to Counterstrike on any level, it's such a ****ing ridiculous comparison that I'm not even willing to argue about it, the conversation would be so stupid that I might actually get buttmad. BUTTFURIOUS EVEN.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nintendo never gives a **** about anything. That's how they work.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion

I'm sure I'd like Project M if I played it, but the team is getting recognition off someone else's work when it's clearly SSBB with technical updates.

It would be different if it was it's own game like that Sonic Racing title and you wouldn't need the Brawl disc to run it too.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
...Trying to imagine a future where the P:M devs have a say in Nintendo.

Pros:
Smash 4 will be sexplosive (adds word to dictionary)
DLC for Smash 4
Smash 4 will likely have a cool name. Seriously, ever since the Wii, we just can't trust Nintendo with naming anymore.

Cons:
Nintendo would suck out there soul.
Sooooo much info would be leaked. Or it should be. If they didn't leak info, I'd be disappointed in them.
They'd try to convince Nintendo to make every game they make more difficult. (I don't see this as a con, though.)
Imagine the potential release date setbacks. Brawl was set back, Demo 1 was rushed, and Demo 2 was set back (barely, though.) A very scary thought.

Top Bottom