• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
platform cancellnig is jumping onto a moving platform and doing an attack (although i thought it was only d-air) jsut before youre entirely through the platform and you just finish on the platform with no lag and can do anything
thats what i think it is anyway.

also i know im gonig to sound stupid now, but what exactly is light shielding and how do you do it?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
platform cancellnig is jumping onto a moving platform and doing an attack (although i thought it was only d-air).
You don't actually have to input anything other than down to platform cancel.
also i know im gonig to sound stupid now, but what exactly is light shielding and how do you do it?
Light shielding is only in Melee and it's just pressing the L/R buttons slightly, producing a bigger shield. In Brawl, pressing L/R slightly won't make a difference.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I swear ike's match up ratios increase 10 points each when you play on a japanese version. hiis sounds just make you seem like you're playing so much better

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Light shielding is only in Melee and it's just pressing the L/R buttons slightly, producing a bigger shield. In Brawl, pressing L/R slightly won't make a difference.
oh ok, not important to me then, but for sake of making ike seem fast (lol) i need to work on this platform cancelling, when i do it i jsut end up crouching on the platform because atm im a little slow on the inputs.

from waht ive seen, dashing is the best option out of platform cancelling, but thats for marth, we have different options, we could probabl use it to land a cheeky tilt and potentially kill

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I swear there was a video explaining using light shielding for platform canceling. If it was BS, no difference to me. I just want to utilize any and all ways I can move around the stage

For example, 1 way to platform cancel easily/quickly and in more situations is to get a secondary jump button. I use L as jump for this.

Since Ike's jump is slow, and we're platform canceling anyways, it's easy to jump, then quickly press your secondary jump button and platform cancel at the same time. It's also not that difficult to buffer your next input because you're doing the platform canceling in a way where timing isn't really needed that much.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Secondary jump button is very useful for Double jumps. Platform canceling w/ double jump is useful on Rainbow Cruise, especially so characters have difficulty punishing landings on the moving platforms, so I can see myself occasionally using it on the rise part and after the swing. The platforms we can't fall through on RC we can't platform cancel.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I would like to use my L trigger as my secondary jump button, but I've continuously relied on it for my shield button. I also have X set to shield, but mainly that's for power-shielding attacks. >_> I can't seem to break the habit of shielding with the L trigger instead of the X button. I could possibly modify the L trigger into a button, but then again I play other games that require percision in the L and R triggers.

tl;dr version: I want to shield with X and jump with L/Y, but old habits die hard.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
egh, i so should have gone to bushido but i was out of money by the time i got wind of it, plus seeing as uk brawlers are so very organised, we had one 2-man hotel room for like, 7 people and i was prepared o be sleeping outside hte hotel
still, i so wish i had gone

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm more worried about the developer with the bad track record. Either way, never played a DMC game, so don't really care.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm still wondering why the revamped vampire dude looks like that lame character from the Twilight series.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
DMC Is too good i dreadfully pray for maybe one last devil may cry game. :/ Or atleast a new fire emblem and no remakes.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i never played dmc so im ok with whaever happens there, but a fire emblem would be nice, hopefully still featuring ike in some way, if theres a major new lord then chances are he may replace ike if there is a new ssb

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, that's one of the things I mentioned before. Works best below 100% right after invincibility. Afterwards, it's usually best just to run away to the center of the stage or shield. The thing about getting hit, if they miss, that's a free possible bair.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
what is it with espy and furry avatars? nyways, I want to know how close should an opponent be standing near the ledge be aether dragged offstage. like should they be closest to the ledge or a little far like one or two feet enough?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
what is it with espy and furry avatars? nyways, I want to know how close should an opponent be standing near the ledge be aether dragged offstage. like should they be closest to the ledge or a little far like one or two feet enough?
It depends what kind of stage you're on. For a stage like FD it's very difficult to safely Aether drag someone who isn't standing right on the ledge. Whereas on a stage like Battlefield where you can go pretty far under the stage with Aether, you can drag them from a few feet back (though they may not go off-stage if they're too far back, depending on how many hits they take, shield SDI, etc...).

The closer your opponent is to the ledge the better, and the further under the stage you can go the better. Hard to predict the outcomes of Aether dragging with so many variables.

:034:

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Something really cool has been happening to me lately and I am displeased that I am unable to replicate it.

We all know the blastoff glitch, right? You land on a sloped platform and shoot off a great deal away. Recently I have been spacing Aether so that I land JUST in front of the ledge and whenever the opponent is there and shields I always end up doing the final hit of Aether on the ground and then gently bouncing away to safety (read: just a bit away from the ledge). Of course whenever I try this in training mode nothing happens. It seems like a pretty nifty way to get that extra bit of shield pressure for free, I guess.

It's actually not as cool as I thought it was, now that I've typed it out.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
@ espy: let me rephrase that - other than the fact that you main sonic and that having avatars from his series is completely understandable, seeing furries from other series in you're avatar makes me think that you're in your early twenties (born in late 1980s) and are a huge fan of cartoons made in that era. Am I right?

btw, my reason for deduction is that I'm 20, I grew up with sonic, and had seen alot of furry cartoons that were very popular when I was a kid.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Let me try something else:

Isn't it obvious why I chose this avatar?
Or my Sally avatar?
Or my Rita avatar?
Or my Zangoose avatars?
Or my Blaze the Cat avatar?
Or my current collie avatar?

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
....they all look like you? (lollz)

well they do have a lot in common i can say that. especially the eye structure. You very much like sexy furry avatars then.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
All of them furries? I don't get this 'obvious' hint.

wut about Sans "Avatar"? As far as I know James Comeron made Avatar and that has nothing to do with this.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He's prolly just trollin', Yagami.
I'm just playing along because of the same reason you're watching.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
too much furry...
seeing as im at college and cant check, does anyone know if ikes ledge jump overlaps with the platforms on lylat? cause if thats the case we could use the platform cancel and then falling bair off the platform to provide a rather fast option against edgechasing and possibly sending an opponent offstage in the process

thinknig about it, as far as edgeguarding with ike goes, are we better off hanging on the ledge and then reacting from there?
i mean we get to a high point faster from the ledgr jump that actually double jumping and we can deal with people recovering low easier from the ledge

Top Bottom