• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Not a necessity I think. Also, certain Asian characters don't even look Asian. Tekken might be the one with a recognizable amount of Asian people but still has many non-Asian fighters. MK has people from all over the universe lol. SF seems more like tekken with having characters from around the world with slightly more Asians.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Good point.

So here at Anime Boston, some MLG people were hosting a tournament (they had MLG shirts so I assumed so. TO went by the name Fatal). Did pretty well for myself. Got to round 4 before being knocked out. Someone CP'd MK to RC against me and I apparently won :O Glided into an fsmash (I think the guy had Sphere on his shirt, can't remember though =/ ). So yeah, I didn't get to stick around because of other reasons. Oh and my friend was raging cause Verm was there and my friend is a Ganon main.

And what San mentioned about hitting with the above part of fair is true. Helped me in this small tourney. Read a ledge hop straight from the ledge and edgegaurd by hitting with the highest vertical point to bring them back offstage. Some guy jump into it several times. I even got a KO that way.

I am so tempted to end my posts with "I Lost The Game", but my sig and name already mention it enough.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Glad to hear my stream of consciousness helped a bit. It's funny how you speak of Fatal as some random dude, lol.

One must always end with a period.

kismet2

Smash Ace
is a trade guaranteed if mk dairs an ike while he's utilting? i've had this happen to me multiple times and was just wondering if i can perfectly outspace it or something.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, both moves have trancending priority, so depending on the timing and spacing you will trade hits, however im fairly sure ikes utilt has less range than mk's dair, so yes providing you space it correctly you will hit ike without getting hit, but you will need east coast timing

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
wut? Ike's utilt doesn't have transcendent priority. I've canceled that move so many times with a falco player here when he tried to usmash me. Ike's usmash, dsmash, aether (except the beginning hitbox), counter (so far, no one has been able to clank this move with another) and aerials are the only moves with transcendent priority.

MK as I know has transcendent priority in all his standard attacks. I don't think his aerials have it too.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
my bad, i got it confused with u-smash.
still, because one alone is trancendant. the same thing i just said applies

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah every aerial except for nair i believe has transcendent priority with mk. i haven't tried it again since i posted but i want to believe that utilt trades with mk's dair, at least if the mk is above and facing ike. mk's dair when he's reaching behind him has more range so i think if you do that then you can outspace utilt.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
every one of mk's aerials have transcendant priority, all of his A attacks except his dash attack do...broken peice of crap XD

kismet2

Smash Ace
haha yeah they seriously didn't play test this game XD or maybe they did and everything mk has was intentional 0_o either way it makes sense

btw is ike's bair or any of his aerials good against mk as an approach? i can probably understand a crossup nair or just a bair on shield but i think that mk can shuttle loop OoS all of them >_>

Heartstring

Smash Legend
afaik, ike doesnt really need to approach mk due to mk lacking any projectiles. however to actually get in on him, i can imagine a well spaced n-air being the best course of action

kismet2

Smash Ace
this is true also i'm not sure sure if it's known or not but if an mk tries to space with fair you can just beat it with ike's side b it's pretty cool but you'd probably have to have pretty good reactions.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
that may be true, but reactions cant physically come into it as even if the two people press their respective attack button at the same time, mk's fair ends before ike's QD hitbox even comes out, so its kinda an odd situation

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike's aerials beat MK but Ike has to be wary because MK can dash along the ground quickly before Ike can land. Well spaced fair/nair shouldn't get hit by shuttle loop OoS.

Fully retreating fair is safe against MK on shield if MK is just sitting there. Dash + shield is harder to deal with.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
:bluejump:We interrupt this program to announce that :colorful:AN(M)ist:colorful: has currently received a total of :starman:400:starman: post counts. That's right folks. Now everyone gets a free chance to admire his delicious avatar!!!!1!!!!1!!:bluejump:

kismet2

Smash Ace
that may be true, but reactions cant physically come into it as even if the two people press their respective attack button at the same time, mk's fair ends before ike's QD hitbox even comes out, so its kinda an odd situation
it's not really anything significant but it definitely outranges fair and may keep the mk from trying to abuse it as much. also i meant if you know or have a good feeling that mk is going to fair then you can just counteract with a side b. you have to go big or go home :teeth:

Ike's aerials beat MK but Ike has to be wary because MK can dash along the ground quickly before Ike can land. Well spaced fair/nair shouldn't get hit by shuttle loop OoS.

Fully retreating fair is safe against MK on shield if MK is just sitting there. Dash + shield is harder to deal with.
can i beat retreating fair with shuttle loop? and that's not supposed to be a rhetorical question or anything lol i'm really not sure >_>

also is ike's counter any good at all in this matchup? i know how on startup it won't counter immediately like marth's but just wondering if it's useful if you know an mk may shuttle loop you off the top or something

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
counter proved useful to me against glide-attack happy MKs who like to auto-cancel their shuttle loop prior to touching the ground, here counter freezes them and retaliates with a knockback that can potentially kill them at higher percents. don't get predictable with it though, cause counter also makes you vulnerable for the rest of a second.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Unless you are making a read harder than the DK-DDD MU with standing CG allowed, you probably shouldn't use Counter against MK. His attacks are either too fast, or too low in damage to care about giving back 1.2x. Glide attack, maybe, but I think powershield->follow up is better in that regard.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I decided to read some of the old BBR matchup topics. I lol'd.

Against MK I use pure aerials and jabs. Onstage I try to play a keepaway game. I am trying to rid the habit of jumping + aerial when I am too close to MK.
In that situation:
Running Away>retreating bair>retreating nair>retreating fair

Retreating nair and fair has a chance to get interrupted by a fullspeed nado.
Bair is weak against a low dash approach but beats aerial approaches/far enough away against walking I believe.

I only decide to use smashes and tilts when MK is near the ledge/offstage. MK is in the air and therefore slower, and there's less punishment in the air as opposed to on the ground.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Most of what I'm talking about was mostly if stuck in shield up close. Jab is usually an option. MK just has more options against jab than the average character. We can't just purely outrange MK with jabs easily, so we need to be observant and think.

Jab2 has a decent chance of outranging MK and is very useful up close. Most jabs I get on MKs are due to misspaced aerials/approaches(mostly dash approaches), after nair, or after shield/powershield. Dash+shield allows us to possibly punish fair and other aerials with jab.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Two words: **** Ftilt. I would say it's in ROB's favor just because of offstage antics, but not by much. It's not as though ROB will completely dominate offstage, but he can make it difficult to avoiding hits every time we recover, and that damage can build up. If we get ROB offstage and he can't pull a Snake and go over us, more often than not that's a favorable position. Onstage, it turns into dodging lasers from afar to get in close, then we need to make sure not to get dominated by all of ROB's quick tilts (something I need to work on, badly). The gyro is kinda like Diddy's naners: Whoever controls it best wins in that aspect, and I think ROB has more options of control, though I think Jab can beat the gyro at times.

That's just my take; it might actually be easier than what I've described, but I've always struggled with this matchup. Though I should note the last time I played a good ROB was against Chibo late last year.

Back to the other topic: I haven't given blood, but if it's not too different from getting shots, I probably wouldn't even squirm.
Okay thank you, really appreciated.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It wasn't really discussion. Nys and Mr. Doom must've had a rough time lol.

Let's just say that they didn't lie when they said compromises were made.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Niddo, stop trying to kill yourself (with laugher)
But that's the best way to go! D:

It wasn't really discussion. Nys and Mr. Doom must've had a rough time lol.

Let's just say that they didn't lie when they said compromises were made.
Then they should man up. We're Ike mains, we don't give sympathy. If other people are stupid, make sure they know. :D

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
lol.

I forgot all about the BS lag falco has when we jab him out of illusion anyways. I know we can ftilt from Mr. Doom but it'd be funny if we can fsmash.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
How many frames of BS lag does Falco get from getting his illusion interrupted?

Auto color text is cool. :I

Top Bottom