• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I did and yes, it was the best holiday ever!
This is also proof that another hobby, i spent way too much time on this game :L

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Funny how the Ikes here are saying it was a great experience when people everywhere have been complaining about it arguably being one of the worst managed tournies.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
That's because most of them are just whiny nubs who did nothing but whine before the event, during the event and, as you can see, after the event. There were some things that could've been done better, but it would've finished faster if people weren't hogging setups for silly friendlies and MMs.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
That's because most of them are just whiny nubs who did nothing but whine before the event, during the event and, as you can see, after the event. There were some things that could've been done better, but it would've finished faster if people weren't hogging setups for silly friendlies and MMs.
Yea, though it didn't help that they weren't calling matches when we were leaving the TVs empty too..

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Yea, though it didn't help that they weren't calling matches when we were leaving the TVs empty too..
That stretch of time we were sitting at an empty setup was pretty much my only personal beef with management, yeah. Everything else I could live with. I still lol @ Sky working so hard for that dollar though. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm, have you been paying attention to the threads regarding what could have been done better in APEX? Cause I heard everything from the seeding, to set up management, to treatment outside of the tourny was poorly done.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
17th is not a bad placement at all... That bracket was really... stacked. I just wished San didn't have a bracket of MKs

Like look at this ****:

round 1 havok: if he won, he fought Atomask (avoid namesearch).. but he lost so he fights TO Joe. Beating him meant he had to fight Seibrick (avoid namesearch). If he beat Atomask.. he would then have to play Naiiro. That's it for MKs in san's bracket.. after that its Mr. R, Brood, then ADHD (losers) and the 3 japanese that got top 5 in winners.

what a silly bracket for Ike to face..

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I can't possibly see how you could seed this anywhere near perfectly with Apex seeding points, international getting 2nd seeds, trying to avoid regions playing each other (which should never be a big deal IMO, just ask people for friendlies if you want to play more people. even with the few setups, I got in so many friendlies against people, no johns), keeping bias out... seriously, where would you put 1 or 2 of those people in that pool? Ussi had Nicole in his pool so that must be 2nd round, which would only be worse considering how hard it was to seed first round.

Also, NJ is terrible at seeding.

As for treatment outside of the tourney, I haven't heard anything about that but I haven't been keeping track of the thread you mentioned either. I do know that having a significant amount of the staff quitting between Friday and Saturday made things a lot harder than they needed to be, which is not really an excuse but just what I know contributing to the rougher parts.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
People at MLG complained less about how their tourny was run in regards to seeding and such. But that's because they ran no pools and bracketed the whole thing, had dedicated refs, among other things.

And the stream was not good either.

And I heard horror stories of hardly any friendly stations being available, so people just ended up going back to their hotels to play.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Although he seems like a cool guy, I'm now thinknig back to it and im hard pressed to find something positive that i saw alex do. I needed housing and didn't get it, and had to book at a ****ty motel myself (as ussi can vouch for)
Still, whoever runs it, Apex 2013 would be great

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Although he seems like a cool guy, I'm now thinknig back to it and im hard pressed to find something positive that i saw alex do. I needed housing and didn't get it, and had to book at a ****ty motel myself (as ussi can vouch for)
Still, whoever runs it, Apex 2013 would be great
I seriously thought i shoulda housed somewhere else >_>;;

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So while doing friendlies with a Marth player yesterday, we were on YI and he up-threw me at around 130. Thing is, I didn't know you could tech the platform above, cause the moment I went above it, I happen to air dodge, and Ike teched the thing. Never seen that happen before.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think what happens was the platforn was tilting up and you techincally landed on it. Maybe if you didn't tech, you woulda still just landed on it..

Heartstring

Smash Legend
So while doing friendlies with a Marth player yesterday, we were on YI and he up-threw me at around 130. Thing is, I didn't know you could tech the platform above, cause the moment I went above it, I happen to air dodge, and Ike teched the thing. Never seen that happen before.
If you pressed down and airdodged at the same time, It's likely you just platform cancelled, Because AFAIK you can't tech like that normally.
I dunno, to be honest, But it seems like the most likely reason

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I had something similar happen to me not too long ago, on battlefield. An Ivysaur Uthrew me while I was at very high %, like 180%. We were right under the lower platform on the left. I just slammed on the platform as he threw me; no tech or anything.

I guessed it had to do with the height at which Ivy held Ike before throwing him, as well as the direction I was holding on my stick... It reminded me of a funky SDI.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Looks similar to a really well timed QD -> grab ledge -> hold back -> DJ -> QD again to me. When I was spamming the pause button on that video, I saw the circles that indicate another jump right at the 0:05 mark.

Of course, there were never any frames I saw where he was hanging onto the ledge, and he already used his DJ in the air. At the same time, it doesn't look like a scar like what Wolf does.

I r confused, somebody explain this wizardry to me.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I had something similar happen to me not too long ago, on battlefield. An Ivysaur Uthrew me while I was at very high %, like 180%. We were right under the lower platform on the left. I just slammed on the platform as he threw me; no tech or anything.

I guessed it had to do with the height at which Ivy held Ike before throwing him, as well as the direction I was holding on my stick... It reminded me of a funky SDI.
What happened is that when he threw you, your initial position after being thrown was above that platform and then you SDI'd into the platform during the hitlag after being thrown. its the same thing as SDI'ing into the ground when you are in the air just above the ground, since you can only tech whats below you when you are in the air.

Looks similar to a really well timed QD -> grab ledge -> hold back -> DJ -> QD again to me. When I was spamming the pause button on that video, I saw the circles that indicate another jump right at the 0:05 mark.

Of course, there were never any frames I saw where he was hanging onto the ledge, and he already used his DJ in the air. At the same time, it doesn't look like a scar like what Wolf does.

I r confused, somebody explain this wizardry to me.
You hold onto the ledge for at least 39 frames though before you can let go or something. He definitely did a scar since it was instant. He did use his double jump though, that's kinda obvious from looking at things... but you don't usually get your jump back from scaring i think.. i forget now that I think of it. Still would be great to QD scar > aether plank. Still doesn't make QD a good recovery option either.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
From what TTT showed me, wolf gets his jump back from doing the SCAR. I think it's character specific

Also IIRC, we have 2 frames of being able to pivot grab wario, At least thats what the video on the subject says.

Top Bottom